HI at Night

Uploads of real night vision scenes

Moderator: Michael

HI at Night

Postby Stanley » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:05 am

just over a month ago the right elements aligned, crystals, harmonics, electrical charges, collective consciousness etc..., and spectacular stillness settled over the pacific!

Here's some photo's from that night and some of the equipment used to capture and preserve it (waning gibbous 68% illuminated). Can't remember if this 14 had a one off experimental Gen 0 tube, real low spec G3 from the late 80's or a high spec G4 tube (currently referred to as unfilmed/filmless tech), they all look the same in highlight :wink:

Equipment pictures marked to keep them from popping up in fake sales ads!
Stanley

Re: HI at Night

Postby InvaderZim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:55 am

Amazing contrast!!

Can you tell us the filmless tube specs for that PVS-14RC?
InvaderZim

Postby Stanley » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:56 am

Contrast! Oh yea it has contrast but then again the tube is unfilmed so not so much a surprise. On the spec size this is a real piss of a paper tube, but thankfully what looks bad on paper doesn't translate to real world performance. This tube is just super edgy, crisp, stunning contrast and as is often the case these are the things paper just can't convey. This tube just barely makes it out of 1600FOM limited as we'll see.

PR - 2856K 1906
EBI - 0.7 (this is evident)
Luminance Gain @2x10^-6 fc = 66400
Luminance Gain @2x10^-4 fc = 14450
SNR - 25.7 :roll:
Res - 64lp/mm
HiLiteRes - 45lp/mm
Halo - 0.7

Here's a picture of the ident plate of the tube used for the above pictures and whose specs are also listed above, it is nothing more than a commercial (pheasant) unlimited FOM unfilmed 11769 type tube.

Much to my dismay and disappointment I don't own one of the ICT Recoil Compensating tubes so have to live with tubes that are much less advanced. Two greatest disappointments have been not owning a ICT Recoil Compensating Evolution tube and a 2 micron AVS tube, some are in some are not, what a tool! :evil:

Are ICT Evolution tubes restricted to CRANE, thought they were on their way to becoming restricted to civilians but don't know if or when this was to happen. Do you know anything along these lines or was it simply a case of Mil Contracts maxing out production?
Stanley

Postby InvaderZim » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:55 am

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for the tube specs, I guess it's a Cinderella tube, looks a little homely on paper, but once put into its environment provides nice images. :D

I wanted the PVS-14RC too recently, from what I was told, they are filling out .mil contracts right now and possibly sometime next year they'll be able to sell them again to civvies. I was told there was another tube power supply available, that wasn't recoil compensating, but provided the same increased high light resolution, so that might be an option as well.

I'm just waiting to see if or when they might be available again.
InvaderZim

Postby efahrenholz » Mon May 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Stanley, those are excellent photos. You still get some of the most breathtaking images with your scenery. Out here on the east coast, it's all mostly flat.
efahrenholz

Postby Stanley » Sat May 30, 2015 9:29 am

The geography and topography are certainly unique here, dramatically diverse and stunning views at every turn.

If you don't have interesting topography nearby, just look up, there's mind-blowing celestial views to be seen.
North American Nebula and others within Cygnus

Some of the more mundane terrestrial scenery, an 1800 carriage house.

Carriage House

Fallen Tree captured
Stanley

Postby Stanley » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:57 am

Some full moon captures with iPhone and PVS-14

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:13 am

Another photo of Koko Crater with legend included below the photo.

The Legend of Kohelepelepe (Koko Crater).

"Koko Crater's Hawaiian name is Kohelepelepe ("Fringed Vagina"). Legend says that Pele's sister, Kapo, had a magical "flying vagina" that could fly and that she could send anywhere. Kamapua'a, the pig god, was intent on raping Pele when Kapo came to her aid. She dispatched her vagina to entice Kamapua'a, and he followed it to Koko Head, where it made the crater and then flew away. Kamapua'a was unsuccessful when taking a flying leap at this illusive vagina."
Stanley

Return to Night Vision Images