Rebuilt Tube

Uploads of real night vision scenes

Moderator: Michael

Rebuilt Tube

Postby cj7hawk » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:50 am

It was a nice night, and I didn't even mind the half-moon for a walk in Kings Park in Perth. It was dark enough that no-one ventured down the side paths of the arboreal reserve and my wife and I had them all to ourselves. So we walked through the darkened lanes with the benefit of the green, though I think she's regretting that we only brought one with us and I was stopping every few seconds to take photos.

anyway, it's a hand-built rebuild. You may notice that the pads have extra metal compared to typical US MX10160's. The boot itself was just lathed up out of black delrin.

David.

The tube - A fresh repot post-burn-in.
IMG_0466 (Custom) - Copy.JPG

IMG_0471 (Custom) - Copy.JPG

The public pagodas. They had people in them, but often do late at night. My wife and I visited this one on our first date... That was so very long ago. But it was well occupied this night so we left them alone. They are dark inside and, well, I think the people who visit them at night like that. There were lots of young couples out around us - possibly due to the school ball going on at the park's restaurant. It was challenging to avoid getting them in the photo's and you'll notice a young couple on the grass in the distance in the second.
IMG_0544 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0546 - Copy.JPG

The War Memorial. A fitting image.
IMG_0547 - Copy.JPG

The paths down the eastern and south-eastern face of Kings Park. This area was deserted and far more enjoyable to visit. The extra moon and recent growth worked well together for the images. These sort of IR reflecting leaves are not common in my part of the world.
IMG_0553 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0557 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0559 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0563 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0565 - Copy.JPG

Well, I hope you've enjoyed them - :)
The tube? It's somewhere around Omni IV - Non-gating. Performance is very good. I've set the ABC very low, so it's quite gentle on eyes and doesn't mess with natural night vision too much.

It's a hand-repot. Using a mix of techniques I've been developing. So far, they have all been very successful. Probably the biggest challenge of this particular task ( my first 36mm repot ) was making the boot from scratch to fit correctly and developing the appropriate techniques to simplify potting. The test elastomer showed no bubbles post-assembly, and all assembly items were clean, so this should be good for a long long time.

Anyway, next time I'll get my wife used to wearing a helmet and take her along for a longer walk through these paths. They look good during the day, but spectacular at night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cj7hawk

Re: Rebuilt Tube

Postby efahrenholz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:53 am

David, it's always wonderful to come back and still seeing you adding posts about DIY night vision. I can remember as far back when I first got interested; when you converted an old cascaded rifle sight to a gen 3 using the intellivu tube. Now look at you, repotting tubes in custom built boots and looking professional at that.

The pictures never do your work justice. It's always a pleasure seeing what you have going on in the workshop. Congrats on the build and excellent photos!
efahrenholz

Postby cj7hawk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:22 pm

efahrenholz wrote:David, it's always wonderful to come back and still seeing you adding posts about DIY night vision. I can remember as far back when I first got interested; when you converted an old cascaded rifle sight to a gen 3 using the intellivu tube. Now look at you, repotting tubes in custom built boots and looking professional at that.

The pictures never do your work justice. It's always a pleasure seeing what you have going on in the workshop. Congrats on the build and excellent photos!

Sometimes when I really feel like cringing, I look all the way back to my first posts... Over the years I think I rewrote most of what I knew and it's been a great community to share that with.

My potting has improved a lot since I did the Intellivu tube also.

David.
cj7hawk

Postby Dino1130 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:49 pm

Damn fine job I must say !! She is a good looking tube also. Glad you brought her back to life !
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby Dino1130 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:27 pm

You are also the FIRST to ever repot a tube on this forum (or any other) that I have seen. In the private sector... I know some company's repot tubes.

I have seen many "non" factory tubes as of late made by suppliers. These are all new components potted by outside vendors. I noticed yours was not perfectly round. I expect that on a homemade or first try. I have also seen this (and worse) on some commercial tubes. Sloppy potting was the cause. The tube was sent back. Nothing I could do with it. Really nice tube but had a nice crescent on the edge.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby efahrenholz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Dino1130 wrote:You are also the FIRST to ever repot a tube on this forum (or any other) that I have seen. In the private sector... I know some company's repot tubes.

I have seen many "non" factory tubes as of late made by suppliers. These are all new components potted by outside vendors. I noticed yours was not perfectly round. I expect that on a homemade or first try. I have also seen this (and worse) on some commercial tubes. Sloppy potting was the cause. The tube was sent back. Nothing I could do with it. Really nice tube but had a nice crescent on the edge.

I believe someone else on here repotted tubes but the name eludes me. David would most definitely be the first to show off his hard work with pictures.
efahrenholz

Postby cj7hawk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Well spotted. But the potting actually went almost exactly as planned on that tube... The crescent shape is actually a distortion caused by the machine which puts the 180 degree twist in the fiber and as a result, the glass distorted near the edge. It's easy to spot visually, due to the overlapping radius, but otherwise, I've never been able to capture that distortion in the remaining image.

The correct terminology is "S-type Distortion"

Regards
David
cj7hawk

Postby Paddy_SP » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:17 am

Excellent work, David! :)
Paddy_SP

Return to Night Vision Images