D300 OmniIV - Vs- NVM14 Omni??

Uploads of real night vision scenes

Moderator: Michael

D300 OmniIV - Vs- NVM14 Omni??

Postby rusty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:24 am

I havent had the time to post for awhile and Im still trying to get taking photos sorted. Got out tonight outside Weipa, no moon very little cloud airport close by, mining activity and some light from Weipa. With dark adjusted eyes I could see the white line on the side of the road for about 15 metres. Photos of the Landcruiser I could make out the shape of the vehicle light from Weipa reflecting on the windscreen, but not much else.
All photos taken on auto, macro, the D300 and camera was on a Yukon camera bracket while the NVM was simply the camera held behind the nvd.
In the flesh the D300 was a bit better focused than the photos came out, I was supprised how well the NMV14 handheld turned out.
The photo of my homemade firefly is not the best but gives you an idea of size, it is made from a IR led, a flashing circuit from the WWW potted into a section of a TicTac box. I havent done a battery life test to see how long it runs should be at least overnight, it was easily visiable at a kilometre.

cheers
rusty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rusty

Re: D300 OmniIV - Vs- NVM14 Omni??

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Well, that's interesting. Looks like a lot of the native vegetation around Weipa actively absorbs IR as much as it does on the other side of Australia where I am.

Did the D300 also have a wider FOV under eye use? It looks a little like the extent of the image wasn't visible to the camera -

Nice pics - :) Thank you for sharing -

Regards
David
cj7hawk

Postby rusty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi David,
I think the positioning of the camera is the cause of the apparent lack of FOV. I will be in a darker part of the state on Thursday and will try to get some more photos am thinking of holding the camera behind the D300 to see if there is an improvement.
The eyecup was off the NVM so may have let the lens get a bit closer to the ocular always fun to see what comes out at the end, what looks good on the camera screen sometimes doesnt look as good on the computer screen.

cheers
rusty
rusty

Postby Dino1130 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Nice pics Rusty ! Keep them coming. :D
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Return to Night Vision Images