Edge of darkness - When a Gen2 runs out of gain...

Uploads of real night vision scenes

Moderator: Michael

Edge of darkness - When a Gen2 runs out of gain...

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:09 am

Hi all,

Here's an interesting pic. Near Perth, Western Australia - where I live - is one of the darkest places on earth... Recently I was driving back on a black night... 100 km from anywhere (outback) and more than 50km from smaller towns and heavy stormy clouds. Fully overcast and raining. No moon and under a tree canopy.

I parked and took some pics when there was no traffic nearby on the main road.

This is with a Gen2 AN/PVS-4 with a xx2500 tube - Pretty reasonable when it comes to NV devices.

Yet the noise is most of the signal. What you're seeing here is the edge of a tube's operating conditions... It was dark. Very dark. That's my daughter in the pic, holding a Teddy Bear. She was very patient while I took my images.

I really wish I had a Gen3 device to compare it to, but not yet :)

I hope you find this interesting -

You may need to adjust your screen to see it clearly, or adjust where on your screen it's seen. I've included a contrast enhanced version as well.

I could see slightly more than this with my eye through the NV, but not a huge amount more.

David.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cj7hawk

Re: Edge of darkness - When a Gen2 runs out of gain...

Postby cj7hawk » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:21 pm

I was back in the same location last night, co-incidentally, in almost identical circumstances. Zero moon ( new moon ) and heavily overcast conditions recreated the scene for me from before.

This time I had a Gen3 on me ( though sorry, these are PVS-14 pics, not PVS-4 as before ) - And I didn't get to do comparison pics either - but this is the difference between Gen2 ( low S/N ) and Gen3 ( high S/N )

IMG_0020 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0021 (Custom).JPG

The ground reflection and sky reflection were similar, leading to difficulty seeing a clear delineation between the two - though it was possible to navigate around well.

Regards
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cj7hawk

Re: Edge of darkness - When a Gen2 runs out of gain...

Postby PEterW » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:56 am

Reminds me of Stanley's gen3 vs photonis comparison vid... With high spec stuff it never really gets too dark, unless you live underground!
Cheers

PEterW
PEterW

Return to Night Vision Images