Pictures taken through the D-112 Mono Goggle

Uploads of real night vision scenes

Moderator: Michael

Pictures taken through the D-112 Mono Goggle

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:35 am

Here I will post some photo's I have taken through my D-112. They are not sharp because I don't have a camera adapter yet, I'm think I want to get one though.
OK, here we go :D :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Question

Postby Andrea from Italy » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:52 pm

Hi Tom, nice pictures, especially the cat one... I wonder what he was thinking watching you walking in the dark, something that he alone should be able to do :-) A question. were you using the IR illuminator when you took those pics? Regards, Andrea
Andrea from Italy

Postby Kalua1969 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:06 pm

Hi Tom...

That hedgehog seems to be a regular visitor to your garden? :D Try putting some food out to see what other kind of nocturnal critters come by.

Viewing nature at night has long been a fun hobby of mine; something unable to be easily accomplished without the aid of NV devices. While hiking through the woods, I've seen a lot of rare wildlife that *only* forage for food at night, while spending all their time underground or in caves during daylight hours.

As far as taking sharper pictures without a camera c-mount and tripod, I guess the only advice I can offer is to have a *very steady hand*. I've always found it most helpful to prop yourself up against the side of something, or, if no tree or wall is nearby to lean against, steady your arms by keeping them tucked in close against your body for stability (the same principle taught in the Army during riflery marksmanship training).

Keep those pictures coming!! :D

~Brad
Last edited by Kalua1969 on Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalua1969

Postby Tom » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:13 am

8) :D Thanks guys,
Andrea,
I only used my IR illuminator on the picture with the hedgehog and my cat. The two pics of my house were taken without IR because I forgot to put the lights out and there was enough light from the street.
It's kinda hard to get a good image on low range (1/2 meters) with the IR on because of my camera but as said before, it's much sharper in real-life.

Brad,
I think it's a good idea to put some foot out there and look for what kind of animals may come by. I'm sure it won't be anything big because the largest animal in the wild around here (and the woods) are bunny's :( :D . But I'll give it a try.
I didn't have anything to support my hand so I'll try to make some good pictures with a steady hand tonight. I think I want to go to the lake (not big) near my house and see what it's like over there.
I'll try to update the pics when I got them

-ToM
Tom

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:44 am

I've made some new pictures. I went to the lake, it was pretty cool out there. I didn't see any wild life but I could clearly see where te water starts and ends. It was still too dark for my camera to make a normal picture.
I'll try to give some informations with the pics like Brad did with his pictures. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

Postby Kalua1969 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:29 pm

Hi Tom...

Great pics!! It's *definitely* much sharper than the previous ones you had posted. Imagine how much SHARPER it'll be once you purchase a c-mount adapter and steady the camera on a tripod :D

I haven't had much free time of late, but I'll try to get around to snapping a few pics through my 3rd gen NODs sometime next week.

~Brad
Kalua1969

Postby Tom » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:22 pm

Hi Brad,
I tried to keep my hands as steady as possible and it worked out pretty good. I would really like to have the camera adapter but my dad thinks it can't be mounted on our digital camera (SONY Cyber-shot 4.1 Mega Pixels) and he knows pretty much about camera's. My dad also has some old camera's (pretty good ones), but he doesn't know if I can mount my NVD on those camera's. I'm sure it would be very cool.
I'm also thinking of getting the long range IR because when walking through the forest (main path) I have to look at the trees on both sides constantly to make sure I'm still on track. I hope the Long range IR can help me with that.
-ToM
Tom

Postby pmac » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:02 pm

Tom,

Hey, first of all I wanted to say congrats on the d-112 arriving and a big thanks for all the pics you posted. I had the D-112, and thought it to be a good quality 1st Gen unit. I'm glad to see this forum because I think it will answer a lot of questions for newcomers to NV about what the images look like from the different generations of scope, etc. You've put a lot of "work" (albeit, fun work) into all your postings. I'm going to try to post some 3rd Gen photos as well to give some more comparison. I will be using a Sony video camera (trv-33) to use in my upcoming posts. I don't know the specifics of your Sony digital cam, but I promise, there is a way to connect to the C-mount. I recently ordered the C-mount from OpticsHQ.com. The only "mod" I had to make was the purchase of a step-up ring (30mm to 36mm) for it to work (6.99 U.S.). The c-mount I received had two different sized rings for connection, the 36mm and another that was larger, I don't know the exact size but I think it was 50mm or something. If your camera has threads, it will work! I'll try to get some pics posted soon!
Thanks again,
pmac0101
pmac

Long Range IR Illuminator

Postby pmac » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:07 pm

Tom,

I meant to address this in the previous, but forgot. The long range IR is definately worth the bucks, especially for the 1st Gen units. It's range is really good, and it has three different levels of output. I have a 3rd Gen and still use it sometimes. It can light up on side to the other on the Arkansas river when I'm out on the boat. I'll try to post some comparison photos with it on and off to give you some idea.
Thanks,
pmac
pmac0101
pmac

Postby Tom » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:21 pm

Hi pmac,

Thanks for your information. Is your camera a digital one? Because my dad really thinks I cant get my NVD on there because the digital camera has a lens that moves (if you know what I mean)
It yould be great if you could post some pics of your 3rd gen and your long range IR.
By the way, how is the long range IR attached to the D-112? Will I still be able to attach my NVD to my headgear?
Thank you,

-ToM
Tom

Postby Kalua1969 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:32 pm

Hiya Tom...

Pmac's exactly right on both counts... the long range IR illuminator will do wonders for your unit. Built-in IR's are good for what they can do, but is restrictive in performance to being as compact as possible to be housed within your NOD. Each generation device has its pro's and con's with internal IR's, but there's no denying that an added long range external IR *greatly* helps in every way (and we all know how much our units LOVE extra light! :) ).

Pmac was exactly right as well about being able to connect your NOD to your Sony digital camera. Apart from the c-mount itself, step-up and step-down rings are indeed available for a variety of thread sizes. Find out the thread size for your Sony, then do a search on the web for the right adapter (you can also inquire about it at your local camera shops around town). Good luck!! :D

~Brad

P.S.... if your Sony is not equipped with lens threads, we'll probably have to figure out another way to adapt your camera to your D-112 (probably a slip-on/over the lens housing gizmo or something). If one is creative enough, you can just about improvise *anything and everything* for all your needs. :wink:
Kalua1969

Postby Tom » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:07 pm

Thanks Brad,

I might just get the long range IR. Altough my dad thinks I'm mad spending money for seeing in the dark but it's just so cool 8) I would really love to look at the other side of the lake at night because now I'm just seeing the (green) reflexion of the sky on the water and I can't see what's going on on the other side.
I'll try to find some more information on my Sony digital camera. I really hope it'll work out.

-ToM
Tom

Postby pmac » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:12 pm

Tom,

On the sony camera with the movable lens, I know what your talking about now. I have a Kodak 5.0 megapixel digicam (DX4530) that has the same type of lens, moves in and outward dependant upon zoom levels. I don't know if your Sony is like my Kodak, BUT..... it has threads at the base of the lens, that allows for an adapter to use color filters, sacraficial lens, etc. Look all around the lens area and see if there are threads at the BASE of the lens assembly, if so, there is SOMETHING out there that will allow it to work. The camera I'm going to be using to post pics with is a Sony TRV-33. It is a digital VIDEO camera using the mini-DV type of tapes. HOWEVER, it will also take digital stills on a memory stick card but they are of lower resolution, somewhere around 1Megapixel (sounds SO STRANGE to refer to 1MP as low!!!). I'll probably be able to get better pictures from captures of the mini-dv tape itself. I'll post some pics here in a couple of hours, it is still day here, but will be dark in a couple of hours. I'll do my best to get some comparison shots for you with and without the long range IR. If I have enough space on my website, i'll also give you a link where you can view a .wmv of a 3rd gen clip.
pmac
pmac0101
pmac

Postby Tom » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:35 pm

That would be great if you could post some movies/pictures,
I checked my camera, there's totally nothing there (checked the base also), it's just all round without anything where I could attach something on. It's also has the moving lens depending on the times it zoomed.
I do think that I will need some kind of clamp or something else to attacht the adapter onto my camera. But there's really nothing there. My Sony is the DSC-S85 with 4.1 MP. I searched the Sony site but I couldnt find any pics of it.
It's 2:35 AM here :wink: So I better go to sleep now :oops:
I'll check the forums first thing tomorrow.
Thanks and let me know if you have a sollution to the problem okay?

-Tom
Tom

Postby Kalua1969 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:48 pm

Here ya go, Tom...

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_ma ... t5245.html

It appears your Sony model is similar to the Fuji Finepix digicams that I own in which no threads are available for adapters.
Not entirely sure how that Raynox adaptor works, but I'm assuming it's a slip-on type with one-sided threads for additional adapters or filters? I have something similiar to that for my Fuji FinePix A303 and A310 that allows me to adapt wide-angle and macro lenses to.

If I find anything else regarding your Sony DSC-S85, I'll post back later.

~Brad
Kalua1969

Next

Return to Night Vision Images