GEN 1+ \ GEN 2+ comparison

Uploads of real night vision scenes

Moderator: Michael

GEN 1+ \ GEN 2+ comparison

Postby old mate » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:15 pm

All photos were taken with the same amount of ambient light coming from inside . 1 \ 25 watt lamp about 16 mtrs away both monoculars have 3 times magnification .The GEN1 is sharper in real life and maybe a bit brighter hope this helps any first time buyer :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
old mate
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:06 am
Location: / AUSTRALIA

Postby Blade_Zero » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:13 pm

I'd say that's pretty definitive, in terms of cost V passive performance.

Thanks.
Blade_Zero
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:13 pm

Postby saturnsc2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:38 pm

umm... the gen 1 pics ain't showing unless this is really how well they worked! the difference between gen 1 & 2 is that much different!
saturnsc2
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Postby old mate » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:11 pm

They are probably a bit darker then what they are to the naked eye but there is still a huge difference between the two generations .
old mate
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:06 am
Location: / AUSTRALIA

Postby saturnsc2 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:54 pm

old mate wrote:They are probably a bit darker then what they are to the naked eye but there is still a huge difference between the two generations .
ya i understand, but what i was saying is that the gen 1 pics in this thread ain't showing anything. no image at all, their just black.
saturnsc2
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Postby Tracer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:25 pm

I think you may need to adjust your monitor settings. I can vaguely see images in the Gen-1 example pictures.

Again, these are excellent demonstration pics. I've used these to show some co-workers who think they're going to see in the dark with startling Gen-3 clarity with a WalMart/e-Bay special Gen-1 scope.
Tracer
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:51 pm
Location: Canada

Postby saturnsc2 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:27 pm

Tracer wrote:I think you may need to adjust your monitor settings. I can vaguely see images in the Gen-1 example pictures.

Again, these are excellent demonstration pics. I've used these to show some co-workers who think they're going to see in the dark with startling Gen-3 clarity with a WalMart/e-Bay special Gen-1 scope.
for the first time i really looked close at the gen 1 pics & i do see something like in the middle of the pic. it's hard to see but it's there. i see gen 1 scopes at wallmart for like $150.00. remember you get what ya pay for. the best gen 1 pics i ever seen are the ones indoors with ir illumination, or outside under streetlights. to me it's usless to buy a scope that allows you to see perfect under city lighting. i mean my naked eyes will do in those situations. it's in the dark woods where you really need a good night vision scope & this is where gen 1 fails. i would like to see some gen 1 pics taken in the deep woods away from city lights. they probably would look like these here. i seen many gen 2 & 3 pics in the woods. both very impressive. any scope looks like a million bucks with ir illumination help, but that's cheating. my d-300 ms gen 2 scope is pretty strong indoors even without ir illumination.
saturnsc2
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Postby lux » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:38 pm

wow, that pretty helped me, thank you! gen.1 is banned from my wish list no matter what.

just a question: what about the quality of the two devices? I mean, maybe the gen.2 was an expensive device and the gen.1 was a cheap one?

thank you!
lux
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:05 am

Postby saturnsc2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:37 pm

lux wrote:wow, that pretty helped me, thank you! gen.1 is banned from my wish list no matter what.

just a question: what about the quality of the two devices? I mean, maybe the gen.2 was an expensive device and the gen.1 was a cheap one?

thank you!
i would'nt really regard gen 1 as "cheap" it's just an older technology. when i first bought a night vision device it was a pair of russian gen 1 binoculars & i thought they were pretty cool! everyone i showed them to got a kick out of them. the image was pretty clear & i thought bright, but when i tried the gen 2 & then 3 devices, there's a night & day difference between them. the biggest difference is from gen 1 to 2 rather than gen 2 to 3. if you want the later techlology it will cost you, but you get what you pay for. gen 1 units sell for as little as a couple hundred bucks, while gen 2 & 3 sell in the several thousands. i feel you get a real deal with a gen 2 device. it's very bright & clear & won't break the bank like a gen 3 unit. do a search & see for yourself the price differences....
saturnsc2
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Postby lux » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:06 am

saturnsc2 wrote:
lux wrote:wow, that pretty helped me, thank you! gen.1 is banned from my wish list no matter what.

just a question: what about the quality of the two devices? I mean, maybe the gen.2 was an expensive device and the gen.1 was a cheap one?

thank you!
i would'nt really regard gen 1 as "cheap" it's just an older technology. when i first bought a night vision device it was a pair of russian gen 1 binoculars & i thought they were pretty cool! everyone i showed them to got a kick out of them. the image was pretty clear & i thought bright, but when i tried the gen 2 & then 3 devices, there's a night & day difference between them. the biggest difference is from gen 1 to 2 rather than gen 2 to 3. if you want the later techlology it will cost you, but you get what you pay for. gen 1 units sell for as little as a couple hundred bucks, while gen 2 & 3 sell in the several thousands. i feel you get a real deal with a gen 2 device. it's very bright & clear & won't break the bank like a gen 3 unit. do a search & see for yourself the price differences....


yeah, I see, but since the incredible difference and given my ignorance about the subject my question was something like " the review and the comparison you were making was between a cheap gen 1 and a good gen 2"? because in that case it would have been a little unfair.

thank you for your post anyway!
lux
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:05 am

Postby saturnsc2 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:34 pm

lux wrote:
saturnsc2 wrote:
lux wrote:wow, that pretty helped me, thank you! gen.1 is banned from my wish list no matter what.

just a question: what about the quality of the two devices? I mean, maybe the gen.2 was an expensive device and the gen.1 was a cheap one?

thank you!
i would'nt really regard gen 1 as "cheap" it's just an older technology. when i first bought a night vision device it was a pair of russian gen 1 binoculars & i thought they were pretty cool! everyone i showed them to got a kick out of them. the image was pretty clear & i thought bright, but when i tried the gen 2 & then 3 devices, there's a night & day difference between them. the biggest difference is from gen 1 to 2 rather than gen 2 to 3. if you want the later techlology it will cost you, but you get what you pay for. gen 1 units sell for as little as a couple hundred bucks, while gen 2 & 3 sell in the several thousands. i feel you get a real deal with a gen 2 device. it's very bright & clear & won't break the bank like a gen 3 unit. do a search & see for yourself the price differences....


yeah, I see, but since the incredible difference and given my ignorance about the subject my question was something like " the review and the comparison you were making was between a cheap gen 1 and a good gen 2"? because in that case it would have been a little unfair.

thank you for your post anyway!
if i were you i would go for a gen 2. you might be dissapointed in a gen 1 especially if ya live like in the country far away from city lights. the gen 1 has a hard time in the wilderness in very dark conditions because it doesn't have strong light amplification like the later gens.. gen 2 & 3 shine in the wilderness...
saturnsc2
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm


Return to Night Vision Images

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron