D300 2+ MS Image

Uploads of real night vision scenes

Moderator: Michael

D300 2+ MS Image

Postby Optik45 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:43 pm

Here is a shot through my D300 2+MS. This shot is from my second story window. There is one street light behind me about 30 yards no other light besides some small house lights. I took this picture about 30 minutes ago, it is completely cloudy out and raining cats and dogs.

The resolution in the picture doesnt compare to looking through the tube but the actual light amplification and color/contrast is perfect.

There are three black mailboxes staggered in the picture. The first on the right is at about 30 yards, the second on the left is about 55 yards and the third on the right is at 80 yards...

This Gen 2+ unit is a great deal. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable Gen 2 NVD. I would buy another, I would write a full review but it seems there are quite a few D300MS reviews out already.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Optik45

Postby mhe » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:29 am

Compared to the other D-300 Gen2 pics in these forums, yours seem to be a lot darker.
Is it because the other pictures were made indoors? Or is it a camera issue?
What camera and what shutter times where used?

Since you can't use a flash when doing a picture through an NVD, i tend to think it's a camera thing. When I use my camera without flash for doing some nigh shots, I sometimes have to use several seconds of shutter time for getting a decent picture. Everything shorter does make the picture much darker than it appears to the human eye under real-world conditions.

Just curious, because I'm quite interested in getting a D-300 2MS myself. :)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far the universe is winning...
mhe

Postby Optik45 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:53 am

I was using a canon digital. I couldnt get the shutter to what I wanted because I didnt have a tripod and the movement was too great to get a clear picture. The Darkness is just a tad darker than real life view. This picture is darker than everyone else's D300ms pics because it was shot on a moonless night while raining, almost zero ambient lighting. My Jeep in the bottom of the picture I could not even see that with the naked eye thats how dark it was out. And because its not a shot of indoors with the IR on.

Im thinking of breaking out my Pentax 35mm man. and getting some better shots tonight.
Optik45

Postby Mark2005 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:10 am

nice picture, i always like the trees with nigthvision , they look so cartoony like!
Mark2005

Postby mhe » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:15 am

Could anyone post pics of a star-lit night sky? Or water? ;)
I heard both should look breathtaking through NVD.

Of course I'd prefer pics through a D-300 2MS, because I really want to know what awaits me before parting with cash...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far the universe is winning...
mhe

Postby Optik45 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:56 am

I am writing a full review right now. I will take full star/moon lit nights, I also live on the water so I will take water shots in a couple of days. Its still raining out here (fallout from Hurricane Rita) so once it clears up Ill post.
Optik45

Postby saturnsc2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:35 pm

i just got this same scope yesterday. i got the same view out my window yesterday it was dark & raining. a very bright clear picture. the focus works great on this scope unlike my old itt g3 night quest, the focus never was very sharp.....
saturnsc2

Postby pipsta » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:44 am

That is indeed quite a dull image for gen 2, here is my ned D300 with DEP tube . Taken through camera phone so quality is better in real life. Was raining like hell and taken through my window.

pipsta

Postby saturnsc2 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:05 am

pipsta wrote:That is indeed quite a dull image for gen 2, here is my ned D300 with DEP tube . Taken through camera phone so quality is better in real life. Was raining like hell and taken through my window.

i think both of thes pics are impressive. it's possible your pic might have been taken under slightly brighter conditions. using my scope the slightest difference in lighting conditions makes a big difference. it's hard to guage the lighting conditions just by the naked eye. you would have to get a light meter to accuratly guage lighting...
saturnsc2

Postby saturnsc2 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:10 am

another thing is that my tube gets slightly dimmer when looking at brighter images probably because it's some kind of tube protection device. i think the voltage to the tube is reduced to prevent burnout looking at lighter things, or if a bright light suddenly comes into view such as a car headlight....
saturnsc2

Postby pipsta » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:12 pm

I agree, the image can go from very bright to very grainy very quickly depending on the conditions. For example, tried the nv for the very first time at work (where it was delivered) in the mens room, only light was from a tiny LED on the fire alarm. Not enough to give off any light for the naked eye to see yet the Gen 2 NV could see very well, little grainy and dull but still good enough to make my way about.

Like most posts say, there is a very big jump in performance from gen 1 to gen 2!
pipsta

Postby saturnsc2 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:19 pm

pipsta wrote:I agree, the image can go from very bright to very grainy very quickly depending on the conditions. For example, tried the nv for the very first time at work (where it was delivered) in the mens room, only light was from a tiny LED on the fire alarm. Not enough to give off any light for the naked eye to see yet the Gen 2 NV could see very well, little grainy and dull but still good enough to make my way about.

Like most posts say, there is a very big jump in performance from gen 1 to gen 2!
mine also works good indoors without ir illumunation, but you see more speckles in the view which is electrons. normal. it's wierd how they dissapear when the ir is switched on. outside there's nothing i can't see even in the woods. granted some views are dimmer than others, there's always something visable. ya the biggest difference was from gen 1 to 2. 2 to 3 similer. i used them all. the addition of the mc plate was the biggest diffeence in a gen 2 model. the gen 3 just added ga to the photocathode to give it a little more sensitivity. gen 2 gives you near gen 3 like performance at half the cost....
saturnsc2

Postby pipsta » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:11 am

mine also works good indoors without ir illumunation, but you see more speckles in the view which is electrons. normal. it's wierd how they dissapear when the ir is switched on. outside there's nothing i can't see even in the woods. granted some views are dimmer than others, there's always something visable. ya the biggest difference was from gen 1 to 2. 2 to 3 similer. i used them all. the addition of the mc plate was the biggest diffeence in a gen 2 model. the gen 3 just added ga to the photocathode to give it a little more sensitivity. gen 2 gives you near gen 3 like performance at half the cost....

Ive not looked through a Gen 3 but cant imagine it being much better as my gen 2, d300 is awsome. Obviously better resolution and slightly better performance in ultra low light conditions but when ever there is ultra low light conditions its normally raining so i wouldnt be out anyway! As for resolution the DEP tubes are great. Any idea what res they are ?
pipsta

Postby saturnsc2 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:50 pm

pipsta wrote:

Ive not looked through a Gen 3 but cant imagine it being much better as my gen 2, d300 is awsome. Obviously better resolution and slightly better performance in ultra low light conditions but when ever there is ultra low light conditions its normally raining so i wouldnt be out anyway! As for resolution the DEP tubes are great. Any idea what res they are ?
the resolution of the gen 3 d-300 is a little higher than your dep tube gen 2. i got the us tube in mine, & it's bright and clear enough for me...
saturnsc2

Postby lux » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:43 pm

cool!

could you tell me something about the price and where to look for someone of these in the Net?
lux

Next

Return to Night Vision Images