D300 2+Mil.Spec first impressions

Customer Reviews of Night Vision Equipment

Moderator: Michael

D300 2+Mil.Spec first impressions

Postby Arcoholic » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:04 pm

O.K. here we go first i was trying to compare the d300 2+ with my Night Storm Gen1 but that will not work since it would not be like comparing Apples to Oranges but comparing apples to a Formula one car.

Ergonomics:
the body is very well machined and all the controls are very well laid out. The switch however while in the right position is very stiff and one handed operation is somewhat dificult, but not a big deal. The adjustments to the eyepiece focus ring tend to get lost during transport a small set srew would help a lot. Overall the thing is handy not too heavy and it feels very compact with the right amount of weight in your closed hand just like a thousand bucks should feel.

Optics:The lenses are flawless and coated with what appears to be very good transmission.

Tube:
As mentioned in the headline i got the 2+ tube. Mine has three very minor blemishes that do not disturb or distract in any way i can clearly see some dirt attache to the red IR indicator LED and about 60 deg. to the right of that there is another item about the same size ( low batt indicator maybe/ I should read the instructions i guess)
Other than that this tube is very clean , much cleaner then my gen one.
Performance:
This will be an ongoing report.
First trip to the closet:
A room dark i mean no light about 8x20 in size with a small hole( less than 1/4 inch) in the wall and this thing can show me the way without IR... wow.
The IR is amazing and blindingly bright through the scope i have not used used it outside at all yet i will check the IR in the woods next chance get
Outside:
Weather clear sky 3/4 ful moon or so. I did not want to do the suburb thing so I took the scope to the beach tonight and holy s.... you can see seagulls sitting on the water for several hundred yards. I took my 7x40 Zeiss along for a laugh and i could see the outlines of the cliffs for about 7-8 miles or so but with the D300 i saw the cliffs with very clear definition to the end 15-20 miles lights aboard shipps( calm see) were seen at least 30 to 40 miles ( guess only) .
Using this thing near water is absolutely mindblowing.
There is no tiring of the eye like with Gen 1 stuff the picture is perfectly flat with unoticeable distortion near the edges. And did i mention no glaring around lights and no noteable trailing of light.
The resolution is very good ( graduating from gen1) it can get a tiny bit grainy in super dark situations inside the house or so or is that the so called noise?
Too bad i can not access anything higher than Gen2 in Canada

Where to buy well take a guess ... OpticsHQ.com of course. Michael and his staff are amazing so far very flexible and shiping to Canada in 4 days flat. Thanks
PS: the Pelican case is very snug a slightly larger one with foam would be nice
And who wants to buy a brand new barely used Night Storm Gen1+ for $200 bucks :wink:
Arcoholic

Postby tazorac » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:25 pm

i look foward to hearing about your expereance in different light conditions...
thancks, i am trying to decide wwether go get a gen 2 or three model of those. i would like to hear your experence in low light condidions, like in a forest in overcast... if you have any experence like this or any others i'd like to know.
tazorac

Postby Mark2005 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:36 pm

Hey m8, nice review.
Im gonna order the same device as you ordered at the end of this month. It seems the best i can get hearing all reviews!
If you have some more infomration on how u experienced this thing and some pictures i'd love to see them.
I cant wait to hit the checkout button on opticshq !

I just want to know; "Does it fit your expectations?"

regards,
Mark
Mark2005

Postby Arcoholic » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:39 am

I think the D- 300 is a fine housing and paired with the 2+ tube it offers very good resolution and gain certainly more then any hobby user would ever need. I have had mine for a couple of days now and there is no buyers remorse whatsoever. I you have the dough stay away from gen1.
I can not post pics right now since the quality of pics i can take with my knowledge would not do the system justice and thus be unfair.
Arcoholic

Postby Doc Holiday » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:18 am

I´m using the device outdoors in nighttime hunting situations right now and I´m collecting my experiences with it.

You´ll find my review soon... :twisted:

Doc
Man must sit a long time in his chair
with his mouth wide open
until roasted duck flies in...
Doc Holiday

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:38 am

Hi guys,

tuesday i finally made my order for the 300 ms at opticshq.com. I'm hoping to do some review and pictures too. Though i didnt buy a camera adapter yet and stuff. Im expecting to arrive it to the netherlands somewhere next week.

grtz,
Mark

Postby A.Persson » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:10 am

Hi there folks
I also just bought the D-300 with some accssories. Will upload pics here when it arrives..
seems as we have an D-300 fanclub as Mark2005 told me :)

ok hope we get really fun with our devices and alot of pics..
Andreas
A.Persson

Postby Mark2005 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:54 pm

Haha hi there,

Yes i hope so but man its still at the dutch customs since monday!
Is that normal or what?

Cant wait to get it

regards
Mark
Mark2005

Got it!

Postby A.Persson » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:42 am

hi there folks

Got my D-300 shipped to sweden in 6 days =)
Very fast but the bad part was that i had to pay a fee for taking it into sweden a ltlle over $500.. custom cost was less than $100.. i guess the total cost for just getting it was aprox $800.
it was the d-143 too and some accessories but...
Quite expensive.

have u got ur device yet mark?

posting pics soon
A.Persson

Postby mark2000 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:40 am

Hi man,

glad your device arrived already. Well i don;t have mine yet. The dutch customs are making a hard job on me. I just came back from holiday and a form arrived from the customs which i will have to fill in together with the original invoice and stuff. I'm afraid it will take some more weeks to get it i really hate it but there;s nothing i can do to make it go faster. I will send them the form tomorrow and hope it's filled in alright and then see what happens.

Have you tried your device yet? Let me know how it works out!

regards,
Mark
mark2000

d300

Postby the apprentice » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:43 pm

as any body tried the d300 with the day scope attachment?
tried a mini 14 with the new day scope attachment on a simmons aetec it was very good. would it be possible to buy a d300ms body
what would the housing cost?+day scope attachment ? i have a very good dep tube 68lpmm to fit cheers
the apprentice

Postby A.Persson » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:39 am

yes ive tried my device..but not much.
damn that sucks with the dutch custom.. i got it real fast :P
i will travel to turkey for 2 weeks now and wont bring my device.. will go out this evening maybe but when i get back ill check it out really well.
have been quite busy lately..
ok laters
A.Persson

M69

Postby sniper » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:55 pm

Do anyone know the D300 can mount on M69 weapon mount ?Thanks :roll:
sniper

Postby Optik45 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:07 am

Yes it can be mounted to the Mil Spec M69 weapon mount.
Optik45

Postby sniper » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:20 am

Thanks Optik45
sniper

Next

Return to Night Vision Product Reviews