night owl i gen 20/20 digital night scope

Customer Reviews of Night Vision Equipment

Moderator: Michael

night owl i gen 20/20 digital night scope

Postby saturnsc2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:33 pm

has anybody used this night owl i gen 20/20 digital night scope? it states it surpases gen 2 & compares to gen 3. it's highly rated on amazon.com with hardly any negative comments. just wondering if it's worth the money...
saturnsc2

Re: night owl i gen 20/20 digital night scope

Postby saturnsc2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:45 pm

here is the scope with an impressive review: http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Ni ... 20-108.htm

it's highly rated elsewhere as well. so has anybody here used it? is this the digital viewer we were all looking for? everyone who used it says it works better than even gen 2 & some gen 3 models & I seen videos on you tube which look impressive, but here I would get some real world opinions. don't know if I fully trust what everyone else says...

if it works as indicated it's worth the money.
saturnsc2

Postby marc_pril » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:35 pm

The pictures in the article don't really impress me to be honest. Something a good gen2 device would easily do.
marc_pril

Postby saturnsc2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:25 am

marc_pril wrote:The pictures in the article don't really impress me to be honest. Something a good gen2 device would easily do.

you can change the background color & gain to vary the pics brightness & clarity. shutter speed can be adjusted also for more brightness in very dark areas. looks pretty cool, but i would like to know just how much light gain this device has. in the past digital devices were along the lines with gen 1 in that category, but recently these digital units are said to amplify more light like gen 2 or even gen 3.

reviews especially on amazon.com i don't really trust them, but here i think i would get a more honest down to earth real review on it's performance.....
saturnsc2

Postby efahrenholz » Mon May 18, 2015 2:48 pm

I studied this camera for a very long time. While the photos seem decent, it will only outperform a generation 1 scope, by contrast. Gain is about similar, and it might be slightly more reactive to the IR range from moonlight. Better than generation 2? No. Not even close. In fact, it's straight up marketing bs that I've seen several times. It reminds me of the xenonics supervision. These devices begin to step into the gen 2 realm of amplification only when the shutter speed has been stepped down to low single digits. At this point it is sampling for too long and any movement blurs the image. The supervision was claimed to surpass the brightness of a pvs-14. It was determined that while yes it could perform well in certain situations, it was unable to provide a usable image passively, i.e., without IR illumination.

This owl scope is essentially using the same concept. It's using a low lux black and white sensor found in most security cameras, with the gain cranked to max and long frame acquisitions to compete. It's handheld but offers a tripod mount. For a reason.
efahrenholz

Postby saturnsc2 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:12 pm

efahrenholz wrote:I studied this camera for a very long time. While the photos seem decent, it will only outperform a generation 1 scope, by contrast. Gain is about similar, and it might be slightly more reactive to the IR range from moonlight. Better than generation 2? No. Not even close. In fact, it's straight up marketing bs that I've seen several times. It reminds me of the xenonics supervision. These devices begin to step into the gen 2 realm of amplification only when the shutter speed has been stepped down to low single digits. At this point it is sampling for too long and any movement blurs the image. The supervision was claimed to surpass the brightness of a pvs-14. It was determined that while yes it could perform well in certain situations, it was unable to provide a usable image passively, i.e., without IR illumination.

This owl scope is essentially using the same concept. It's using a low lux black and white sensor found in most security cameras, with the gain cranked to max and long frame acquisitions to compete. It's handheld but offers a tripod mount. For a reason.
i figured as much. you only get what you pay for. i wound up buying an itt night mariner g3 160. much better performance without an ir. these digital units mostly require ir illumination, so what's the good?
saturnsc2

Return to Night Vision Product Reviews