Review: The D-760 6x vs. Raptor 6x

Customer Reviews of Night Vision Equipment

Moderator: Michael

Review: The D-760 6x vs. Raptor 6x

Postby Clutch_ » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:27 am

Hello all,

A short time ago I purchased BOTH the D-760 and a Raptor in 6x magnification. Both of course came standard with tube data sheets with remarkable hand picked tubes. 64LP, 25-27 Signal to Noise, etc. Both units also have red mil-dot reticules with the D-760 having a very ingenuous amber or red mil-dot reticule selectable switch on the power knob.

I took both units out to a VERY dark DoD facility out west and got to play with the two of the best and finest pieces of gear I ever laid my hands on and did a comparison test between the two. I started my observing last week with a 1/4 moon at approx. 0430hrs and of course me being me, I decided to observe at the far reaches of the universe to start things off at 1600 yards and work out!! Both units were on platforms consisting of a custom AWC .300 win mag, as well as a new MSTN custom AR-15 6.8 SPC with an ARMS #58 SIR. No shooting was allowed on the facility at this time, so I settled for a small sized forklift parked broadside for viewing purposes. When I first looked through the Raptor, I was simply AMAZED at the clarity and contrast I could see out this far. NO WAY would I be able to see this detail on a hot steamy day with all the mirage coming off the tarmac. But at night, I was simply amazed by the Raptor’s Sharp and clear contrast and resolution. For a $7,000.00 NVD, I was hoping I would be amazed. Next came the D-760 which btw, was (it seemed) half the weight of the Raptor along with almost half the price! I have not weighed the Raptor vs. the D-760 as yet, but I can tell you the Raptor is a monster compared to the D-760. The Raptor has a 165mm objective compared to a 110mm with the D-760 which is where most of the weight is held. Anyways, back to the D-760…..Powered up the 760 and at first forgot to focus the far field adjustment and the image at 1600 yards was a bit blurry. After the focus was made, I came away also amazed by the brightness and resolution. The ONLY difference I saw after 30 minutes going back and forth of the two was the Raptors slight edge on edge to edge sharpness and it seemed to have a wider field of view which seemed to equate to a bit more image magnification also probably due to the huge objective glass the Raptor has. These scopes were VERY close to one another in views through the eye piece. In fact, they were soooo close I had a colleague look through BOTH scopes and stated the same exact thing I had. I NEVER told him what scope he was looking though as I put a dark towel over both units to hide their identities! :wink: Both units at 1600 yards saw the forklift with great detail, with the Raptor winning out by seeing the cab frame a bit better. As I stated at the beginning of this article, me being me I then tested the long range observation characteristics with a small 10’ x 20’ storage shed at 3500 yards away!!! Both units saw the shed with ease with the Raptor clearly showing off its 165mm objective with an incredibly sharp image. The D-760 was no slouch; the shed was clearly defined but not as sharp. If anything, these two units can be used not only for NVD sniper scopes, but for the world’s best observation NVD spotting scopes PERIOD!!

I decided to bring the fork lift in at 500 yards and see what we could see. At the conclusion of this viewing session, my colleague and I agreed that there was virtually no difference in target recognition at this distance. They were almost identical in ALL areas at 500 yards and we also observed at 300 and 100 yards with the same results.

After spending the next hour looking through both units, both my colleague and I agreed that for mission requirements out past 600 yards, the Raptor would be deployed for the crisp and razor sharp images. That of course is what the 165mm objective and $7,000.00 will get you. As for the D-760, anything in below 600 yards would be easy pickin’s. The price difference of course is VERY large between both units so individuals whose profession includes protecting lives and want the VERY best edge to edge resolution and sharpness, the Raptor can be justified. For some military and all LEO and varmint hunters, I cannot think of any better NV scope than the D-760 for the price of under 4K. It's light weight, and has a great tube. In fact, both units had the best tubes I’ve ever looked through with NO blemishes to speak of, not a speck I could see.

In closing I can tell you that what ever units you choose, you cannot go wrong. Presently though, the new off the shelf Raptors for sale are now restricted to LE and military units ONLY. They are legal to own of course, but any new units for sale are restricted. Unless you know someone in the LE community or military, obtaining a brand new Raptor could now be very difficult. With this news of course, I'm sure the price will soar well above the $7,000.00 current Raptor retail price tag if you can even find one. What’s left to buy you say? The D-760 is it.

Sorry for the looooong post and btw for those of you who think I work for a NVD company, I do NOT. I’m a Tactical Consultant for a Police Dept, as well as a serious hunter and shooter who just loves the best gear out there and these two units are TRULY THE BEST OUT THERE! You WILL own the night. An old picture with an inscription I once saw comes into mind…”Don’t fear the night, fear what hunts the night.” This is VERY good advice, because it’s now good to be afraid of the night with these two units out there folks. Take care,

Vic
Clutch_

Postby Tom » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:36 pm

Nice review!!! 8)
Tom

Raptor vs. D760

Postby Clutch » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:50 pm

It seems this article has stirred up several "no way can you see that far" comments on a few other boards. As I stated in the review, I do NOT work for ANY NV company and seeing IS believing when it comes down to these two units and I saw incredible distances with incredible clarity PERIOD!

Now that the Raptors are restricted to LE and Govy purchases, I guess one will have to suffer with a plain ol' D-760! Yawn! :wink:
Clutch

Yes, you can easily see that far on a moonlit night.

Postby nightvisiondude » Sun May 08, 2005 9:59 pm

Even on a fairly cloudy night, I could see a deer at 989 yards away, easily enough detail to positively identify and take a shot if I felt up to that range. The 6x units are absolutely amazing. I use my Leica LRF1200 to rangefind my targets at that distance, and I can watch the IR pulse go out and come back thru my 6x Raptor (Nighthawk) I just bounce the IR beam off my target, and read the yardage thru the Leica with my left eye while watching thru the scope with my right eye. Easy as pie!

I have pics, but most are blurry as I am trying to hold the camera, the scope, etc. But you will get the idea!
nightvisiondude

Re: Yes, you can easily see that far on a moonlit night.

Postby Clutch » Sun May 15, 2005 11:40 am

nightvisiondude wrote:Even on a fairly cloudy night, I could see a deer at 989 yards away, easily enough detail to positively identify and take a shot if I felt up to that range. The 6x units are absolutely amazing. I use my Leica LRF1200 to rangefind my targets at that distance, and I can watch the IR pulse go out and come back thru my 6x Raptor (Nighthawk) I just bounce the IR beam off my target, and read the yardage thru the Leica with my left eye while watching thru the scope with my right eye. Easy as pie!

I have pics, but most are blurry as I am trying to hold the camera, the scope, etc. But you will get the idea!

Glad I'm not alone in the dark!! :wink: They are amazing pieces of gear.
Clutch

Postby Clutch » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:11 pm

By the way, Clutch is me Victor Di Cosola from Tactical Night Vision Company...When I wrote up this review way back when I did not include my full name as I was not selling to the public at that time! Of course now I am. I've had lot's of great feedback on this article, thanks all!
Victor Di Cosola
Tactical Night Vision Company
http://www.tnvc.com
victor@tnvc.com
(909)796-7000
Clutch

Re: Review: The D-760 6x vs. Raptor 6x

Postby camo304 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:36 am

Victor do you have any pictures side by side thru these 2 scopes?? would love to see them
camo304

Postby efahrenholz » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:12 pm

camo304 wrote:Victor do you have any pictures side by side thru these 2 scopes?? would love to see them

I'm afraid the OP left his last post almost 4 years ago, and Vic doesn't really post on these forums anymore.
efahrenholz

Postby Dino1130 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:02 pm

efahrenholz wrote:
camo304 wrote:Victor do you have any pictures side by side thru these 2 scopes?? would love to see them

I'm afraid the OP left his last post almost 4 years ago, and Vic doesn't really post on these forums anymore.

Ah, not all is as it seems. I bet I can resurrect Clutch if need be ! I knows a few people who knows some other people ! :mrgreen:

Clutch=Victor as in Vic at TNVC. Just a FYI :D
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby camo304 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:31 am

Well then Dino if you would be so kind and ask Vic if he as the pics :wink: :wink:
camo304

Return to Night Vision Product Reviews