The D-112 Mono Goggle

Customer Reviews of Night Vision Equipment

Moderator: Michael

The D-112 Mono Goggle

Postby Tom » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:02 pm

The D-112 Mono Goggle

As my first Night Vision device, I wanted something good right from the start. But I didn’t want to spend too much money on something that is entirely new to me. So after half a year of searching, reading reviews and asking questions (being changed from choice for four times) I finally got interested in the D-112 Mono Goggle. This was the best NV device I could find for a very good price. Since I wanted my hands to be free this seemed to be the best choice.
So after asking a million questions on the Night Vision Forum (thanks guys, I really appreciate your help!) I finally decided to make my order at OpticsHQ. And they were GREAT! I really mean it, they anwsered my questions about the shipping method in less than a day and they have a very good customer service. Even though I made an international order they were very fast. I really liked doing business with them. When I confirmed everything, I just had to wait for the D-112 to be delivered at my home. My account on the site still said that the order was “Pending…” so I decided to wait one more day, and then drop an e-mail at Optics HQ. Luckily the doorbell rang at about 1.00 pm that day. I even got happier when I saw a car from FedEx. I had to sign some papers and then I received a small package.

My first impression was that the D-112 Mono Goggle is not heavy at all! It’s also really small and I can also use it easily as a spotting scope. It feels solid and comfortable to hold. The headgear is a bit hard to use in the beginning, but I’m getting used to it. The nightvision device feels kinda heavy when attached to the headgear. But when I tighten the headgear some more the weight goes away, which is pretty nice. The unit also came with a soft carrying case. The device fits in there very easily and it also gives some protection.

Ofcourse I could’nt wait untill it was dark outside so I tested it in my basement. One click to the right and the unit switched on. I could’nt see anything. Second click to the right and the IR Illuminator switched on. And WOW!!! this thing acctually works!!! I founf that the view was not so clear so I adjusted the lens some and then I saw what I was hoping for. I can’t say it’s crystal clear but I find the resolution very high! The IR Illuminator flashes a bit back in my basement because of the white walls.
I would like to put also some bad things about the unit in my review, but I really can’t think of any!!! I think the geometric distortion (fisheye effect) is really a big problem since I think the view you get is still very clear (around the edges a bit less ofcourse, but nothing to cry about :D ). Also I could detect no big black spots on the lens, I did see a few small ones but you’ll really have to search for them. The one bad thing about the D-112MG is that the unit gives a very high-pitched whine when the unit is on (the ATN site sais that this is a characteristic of 1st Gen scopes). Also when turned off (see ATN site) you can still look through the unit as though it is on without the IR illuminator.

So I waited for the night to come and I went outside to finally test my night vision goggles the way it’s meant to be. And again WOW!!! the view is so clear and I can focus the lens to a real sharp image. The geometric distortion is a lot more outside (don't know how), but in the center the view is great. Even when running around my garden I can keep the view clear. I didn’t get any branches slapped in my face so I guess that’s good :) . The only thing that is, is that you'll have to learn to adjust your eyes to the objects you're viewing. It sounds easy but it's pretty hard to do. I guess it'll get better after some practice.
I can get object clear at about 20 centimeters away to almost 100 meters. Ofcourse the IR Illuminator can’t get as fas as 100 meters but I was still able to see clearly. Even though it was a clear night (without moon) I still needed the IR to view specific objects in my garder like a chair or something. Without the IR I can see it too but with the IR it feels more comfortable. So I don’t know yet what it’s like to view things when under the light of a full moon.
The IR illuminates for about 50 meters. Beyond 50 meters it doesn’t matter if you put the IR on or off. A long range IR Illuminator should do the trick but I don’t find it useful to have at the moment. After a while looking through the scope your eye gets a bit tired and when you switch to your other eye the view becomes much more ‘green’. But that’s the same when you switch it back again. But I didn’t feel any pain or something using the NV device.
The device shuts off when it gets exposed to bright light i.e. your hand in front of the lens and the IR. Your hand flashes back the light of the IR which causes the view to be totally white. You can’t hear the annoying whine anymore but when you go back to normal light (darkness), the unit begins working again. I think that’s a pretty good thing.
I have also tested my NVD with a clear sky and full-moon. Before there wasn't a moon so not much light. I noticed that with the moonlight I can see A LOT more without the IR. It's like the sun rise but then a lot darker. But you're really able to see much more than without the moon. Ofcourse, if I want to view everything crystal clear I'll have to use the IR for extra illumination.
About aisoft games. I’m not sure I will be able to use it in the way I was hoping for. Since you can only focus on one thing you cant really aim with your gun so that’ll be pretty hard to do. What I am going to do is use it to spot the enemy and then switch it off, flip it up and shoot at the enemy. But I haven’t played airsoft with it yet so maybe it can be used for aiming. I’m just not sure.

I have posted some pics taken through my NVD in the Image section. But they are not sharp at all. Like always, pictures can’t do justice. The image you get from the camera can’t be even compared to the image you get when looking through the D-112.

After all, I’m more than happy with the D-112 Mono Goggle. The image you get from the 1 gen. scope is very sharp and I have nothing to complain about it. I can’t imagine what the view through a 2 or 3 gen. scope should be like. Anyway, I’m sure I will be having lots more hours of fun playing in the dark with my new toy 8) :D . I hope it’ll last for a long time.

If you have any questions about the D-112, feel free to ask me!!! I'll keep updating this review everytime I have something new to say.
A very big thanks again to OpticsHQ and the guys at the Night Vision Forums,

-Tom Reyns
Last edited by Tom on Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Your review

Postby Andrea from Italy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:29 am

Hi Tom, glad you got the package. May I ask three questions,
1) what was your experience with the customs (i.e. did they charge you VAT or anything?)
2) can you give an estimate of how far the whine of the device can be heard outside, and inside?
3) finally, when you do play with it, please report your experiences
Regards,
Andrea
Andrea from Italy

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:57 am

Hello Andrea,
1) I didn't even heard of the customs. I thought my night vision goggles were not even been shipped. Also, I recieved no more taxes to pay. It went very fast. I confirmed everything on a Thursday and I got my unit this monday. So the shipping went pretty fast. So the customs make no big deal about it.
2) The whine will be heard for about 1 or 2 meters. It's not that loud. It does drive you nuts when you keep the unit on for an hour or so. :D But I can live with that.
3) I will post a review of the use in an airsoft game. I'm just not sure when that will be.

-ToM
Tom

Thanks!

Postby Andrea from Italy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:12 pm

See subject :-)
Can't wait to hear about your airsoft experiences with it.
Regards,
Andrea
Andrea from Italy

Postby Tom » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:49 pm

I uploaded some pictures. They are totally not sharp because I'm holding my NV in front of my camera, very difficult to focus. You can see them if you click on the Album icon on the top of the page.

-ToM
Tom

Postby felix » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:54 pm

tom, Upload them again. In the Night Vision Images section.... They got deleted.. I setup a new system.
felix

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:38 am

OK Felix, I started a new thread on the Images section of the forum.
You can see some photo's taken through my D-112 in the Images section.

-ToM
Tom

Postby Kalua1969 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:43 pm

Hiya Tom...

Since you've owned your new toy for nearly two full weeks now, I was curious as to how close the up-time of the batteries were as compared to the factory specs (30 hours per CR123)?

I'm assuming that you've been using your D-112MG for at least 1 to 2 hours each night for the past two weeks. As the battery's life is slowly nearing its end, have you noticed any difference in the performance of your unit?

I meant to ask you to post about this "battery performance" issue in your review as supplemental information to everything else :wink:

~Brad
Kalua1969

Postby Tom » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:15 pm

Hi Brad,
I've not used my new toy every night because of the bad weather (and going out to the disco 8) )so I can't really tell yet. Also, untill now I haven't really noticed any change in performance. It's still working as good first. Also (second), I didn't watch the time when I was using my NVD so I'm not sure how many hours I have used it.
But the weather is getting better now so I think I'm going to test it a lot in the forest near my house. I'll try to do my first "long-time" walk to see if there is any pain in my neck or eyes.
I will edit my review about performance when the battery is running low.
Thanks for the feedback Brad,
-ToM
Tom

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:16 am

Hey tom, for instance if you have a backyard light that covers 60 ft and im trying to see pitch black beyond thatt 60ft can the d112 do that easy?

Its a orange color within 60ft, then just darkness beyond that. we had some burglar's try to steal from our neighbors once. they used our ditch and the ditch is like 120 ft away and the light doesnt cover that far.

Does the 3x lens also come with the product or does it have a zoom button.

Postby Harry-the-Ruskie » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:04 am

Anonymous wrote:Hey tom, for instance if you have a backyard light that covers 60 ft and im trying to see pitch black beyond thatt 60ft can the d112 do that easy?

Its a orange color within 60ft, then just darkness beyond that. we had some burglar's try to steal from our neighbors once. they used our ditch and the ditch is like 120 ft away and the light doesnt cover that far.

Does the 3x lens also come with the product or does it have a zoom button.

"Pitch dark" to the naked eye may seem subjectively much darker if you are looking at the dark area through bright lights.

I cannot answer your question with a resounding 'Yes' or 'No' but I will offer observations of my own experiences on similar lighting conditions. First I should point out I am no NV tech. I'm just a guy who bought a D-112 (with interchangeable 1X and 3X lenses) from OpticsHq.

The D-112 is a very compact, well made unit with a clear image. What you should realize is that any Gen 1 device will benefit from the additional illumination of an IR source especially in dark areas with low/little ambient lighting . Further, as Tom mentioned, the unit's IR illuminator will max out at about 50 metres range. If you want to see further, get a long range IR illuminator which you can buy from the OpticsHq or NightvisionMall. The 3X lenses are fixed at 3X zoom...you cannot change the magnification, but they can be adjusted to sharpen the focus depending on the user's eyes.

Using my D-112 to look over my neighbours premises, on a dark cloudy night I can see the far wall of their concrete fence (about 200 feet away) easily under similar lighting conditions such as yours. To the naked eye without my D-112, the area looks 'pitch black'. At that 200 feet and lighting conditions, I will be able to make out a human form without effort. Now this happens I suppose because it is an open area all the way to the wall without obstructions of any kind so the ambient light from the lamp filters all that distance. Panning the D-112 to an area closer to me (about 150 feet) but under deep shadow due to trees and heavy foilage, I have difficulty seeing my neighbours' two dogs. I can see their fleeting shadowy shapes. I know there is something there but not enough details to make positive id. Once I switch on the unit's IR illuminator the illumination is reflected on the dog's eyes so I can pinpoint its exact location but still have difficulty making out the distinct shape of a dog.

I'm sure a long range IR illuminator will light up that distance suficiently to let me id a dog or a human form (someone here who has used a long range IR mentioned literally "lighting up the whole countryside"), but since I have yet to purchase an LR IR, you should forward any questions to the people at OpticsHq who are a helpful bunch of guys and will be able to tell you more. Either that, get a Gen 2 which I have been told is a world apart from a Gen 1.

Be aware however, if you are planning to covertly survey a given area, an active IR illuminator emits invisible IR illumination AND also a red glow.

It may be expedient to mount a IR illuminator on a fixed mounting shining at the area of interest to be switch on when required. For all the world it will look like a static red nightlight, rather than being an obvious giveaway if it is moving around in unison with your head.

But really, if you are more interested in perimeter security, the more practical solution will be to to just install another backyard light to illuminate the problematic area adequately. That will be a better deterrent than a nightly ritual of stalking the would-be-thieves with an NV device and yelling "I see you! Can you see me ?" ;) (Sorry Brad. I cannot resist borrowing your signature :wink: ) But an NV device is sure fun to have irrespective of the reasons you have for owning one :) Even with Gen 1, it will allow to make out details in the dark which you would not have seen with your naked eye.

I'm waiting for my D-2MV to arrive from OpticsHq. After that I'm buying a long range IR illuminator.

Merry Christmas folks. Happy Voyeuring ;)
Harry-the-Ruskie

Postby Direwolf » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:37 pm

Wow, very very helpful

thanks so much :D, got mine today but im waiting till christmas till I take it out. Its a surprise for my parents, I tried it out a little bit but damn I couldnt see shit inside my room without the IR on. Maybe i didnt focus it right or something but it was about as dark as the naked eye. When I turned on the IR it looked awesome inside a 15x23 room. I looked at the backyard threw our door with the IR on and off and couldnt see jack. I didnt focus at all, didnt know the front focus's like the back lol.

Harry, can you use yours looking threw windows and seeing a good 50ft or more or does glass really mess it up? Im thinking it does, the ir might bounce off the glass and just shine back at the unit and that might be the reason I couldnt see much at all while looking at the backyard threw our glass door. The quality is very great and feels nice and light

thanks so much for your review harry, I really appreciate it a lot. Post back here when you get your long range IR! I think I might buy one.

long range IR allows you to see a extra 100 meters or around that right? I'll have to do my research on them. Again thanks a million!
Direwolf

Postby Direwolf » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:41 pm

Last question, when you mentioned illumination on the dogs eyes... can you see reflections off humans also or nay? That would be really kewl if you could

:D
Direwolf

Postby Harry-the-Ruskie » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:05 am

Direwolf wrote:Wow, very very helpful

thanks so much :D, got mine today but im waiting till christmas till I take it out. Its a surprise for my parents, I tried it out a little bit but damn I couldnt see shit inside my room without the IR on. Maybe i didnt focus it right or something but it was about as dark as the naked eye. When I turned on the IR it looked awesome inside a 15x23 room. I looked at the backyard threw our door with the IR on and off and couldnt see jack. I didnt focus at all, didnt know the front focus's like the back lol.

Harry, can you use yours looking threw windows and seeing a good 50ft or more or does glass really mess it up? Im thinking it does, the ir might bounce off the glass and just shine back at the unit and that might be the reason I couldnt see much at all while looking at the backyard threw our glass door. The quality is very great and feels nice and light

thanks so much for your review harry, I really appreciate it a lot. Post back here when you get your long range IR! I think I might buy one.

long range IR allows you to see a extra 100 meters or around that right? I'll have to do my research on them. Again thanks a million!

Inside a darkened room with barely any or no ambient light, a Gen 1 in most cases will be no better than your naked eye, so the IR illuminator is a must in such situations. Even during many ambient light conditions, Gen 1 will benefit from additional IR illumination. Apparently, that's the way it is with this level of technology. Gen 2 and higher, as I have been told, is a one giant leap in terms of technology and performance compared to Gen 1, in all respects including low light performance and tube life.

On the other hand, a good quality Gen 1 unit like the D-112 is still way, way better than your naked eye in conditions of darkness. That fact was not lost to me when just last week we had a power failure in our neighbourhood and I suddenly found myself enveloped in complete darkness. While the other family members were groping their way blindly through the house looking for torchlights and candles, I just reach over my desk for the D-112 and was soon walking confidently in the pitch black. That' my 15 minutes of fame. Almost felt like Riddick minus the toned biceps ;) Another thing, using a monocular to walk around takes some getting used to because with a monocular you don't have depth perception and in my case, the view from the un-aided eye will not align properly with the view you see through the goggles....By this I mean for example, your unaided eye may see an object at shoulder height, but the image generated on the NV's viewing tube may show the object at another height. Don't run. Just walk slowly. It sure beats having to grope around blindly. Make sure you turn-adjust the back rubber eyepiece for maximum clarity to suit your eyes. Adjust that first to get the clearest focus and then leave it untouched. After that, adjust the the front lens. The front lens, assuming I'm doing it correctly, will adjust clarity for various distances....so it is possible to adjust it to be close enough to read a magazine or the luminous dial on your watch, or adjust it for normal walking purposes. If you don't properly adjust the eyepiece and lens to suit your eyes, you won't see much.

Looking through the glass of a window using your NV unit with the IR switched on has the same effect of doing the same thing with a lit torchlight. There will be reflection of IR enegy from the beam on the glass pane and it will shine back onto your goggles and eyes. So open the window first.

Let us know how you do with your backyard test. If you are expecting to see details for very long distances in very low to no light, you might be going beyond the realistic performance capability of a Gen 1. In which case, you might consider buying accessories like the Long range IR illuminator to extend the useful viewing range of your Gen 1.

Beyond that, I really cannot answer your question about the specific perfomance of the long range IR, since I haven't bought one yet. I will be buying one in January 2005. Drop the friendly folks at OpticsHq a question and they will be able to give you the answers you seek. Incidentally, there are several types of long range IR on sale at OpticsHq and Nightvisionmall....some are long range units and anotother is the extended long range unit.
Last edited by Harry-the-Ruskie on Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Harry-the-Ruskie

Postby Harry-the-Ruskie » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:21 am

Direwolf wrote:Last question, when you mentioned illumination on the dogs eyes... can you see reflections off humans also or nay? That would be really kewl if you could

:D

I don't know :) Never tried that experiment on a human before.

Why don't you try your D-112 out on your folks and let us all know :)
Harry-the-Ruskie

Next

Return to Night Vision Product Reviews