New Mini-14, wiggles in headmount, I've got a fix

Customer Reviews of Night Vision Equipment

Moderator: Michael

New Mini-14, wiggles in headmount, I've got a fix

Postby Andy1 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:27 pm

Just purchased a Mini-14 from Michael. Very nice.

Took it outside with the headmount and it was loose in the quick release.

Here's the fix. I loosened the nut on the bottom of the "recepticle" where the NVG adapter plugs in.

Removed it and popped off the shiney metal "L" retainer and the associated screw and washer.

Cleaned the black adhesive from those parts and took some mini-cutters and clipped the residual glue from the headmount recepticle area.

I used a new SS 4-40 screw and reassembled with a nylon/metal locking type nut on the bottom.

Plug in your NVG, pull the shiney "L" clip back and then allow it to seek it's own position and tighten the screw through the access in headmount.

IMPORTANT if you value your NVG!

Verify the NVG positively snaps into place and securely locks. Adjust so there is a little "play".

If you don't do this, don't blame me when your NVG falls out onto the ground!

That's why they leave so much play in the attachment to start with.
_
Andy1

Andy you're scaring me!

Postby fkalich » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:21 am

Just kididng. You are talking about the looseness of the connection, that never bothered me. I just smoosh the rubber eyepiece up against my eye socket, no wobble while using it. The mini had nice little vent holes in the rubber eyepiece that help prevent fogging.
fkalich

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:42 am

I wish I could do that but because I wear glasses I hate getting them smeared up.
Andy

Will try this

Postby akhuntin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:01 pm

I have tried mashing the unit up to my eye but I get immediate fogging when its cold out as it always is in the winter up here in Alaska.. I will try taking the mount apart as you suggest and see how it works.
akhuntin

Return to Night Vision Product Reviews