Mini-14 review

Customer Reviews of Night Vision Equipment

Moderator: Michael

Mini-14 review

Postby conan_the_librarian » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:48 pm

I am just impressed as hell with this device!

1. Clarity and focus- Focus varies widely in that the objective focus has a wide range difference from close focus to long range. When woods walking, I settled on a compromise of mid/close distance that allowed me to walk well and when I needed to see further, I then adjusted. The distance that I was able to see surprised me. I was able to see across canyons 500-700 yards with good clarity with any light at all from the moon. With no moon or clouds, I was still able to see well out to several hundred yards.

2. Contrast was good. I could read small print using the on board IR while in the deep, dark woods. Even walking around in dark forest was very easy. Again, the mini impressed me with the outstanding performance.

3. The built in IR was of limited range- but this is good. It is not so strong as to wash out close up reading of maps and even books. Yet it was just right for walking around in near total darkness. If I needed more light, an external IR (long range) worked well- not for detail, but for making animals eyes light up like reflectors. I could see trees clearly up to leave and structure detail up to 250 yards with an external IR.

4. Ergonomics- The unit is light- very light. The on/off switch was in the right place. The headmount was surprisingly comfy. The fit was adjustable so well that I could even walk about without the chin strap cinched. The head mount unit allowed for both lateral swing and distance from eye. This allowed me to adjust it for a perfect snug fit. Focus of the ocular and objective lenses adjusted smoothly and easily.

5. Flaws- the head mount did not allow me to switch eyes. It simply will no allow you to swing or adjust to the right eye. You are stuck with the left eye exclusively. Trying to swing it to the right eye moved the unit to either too far in or not enough. It just did not work and seems not to have been designed to do so. The head mount unit also does not have a swing up feature. You must use one of the two quick-detach options to unclip the NVD from your face... makes me a tad nervous to slip 3500 bucks of optics in my pocket or lay it to the side.

6. OpticsHq service- said it before and I shall say it again. This forum and Michael's advice in particular are excellect. When this gent says something, you are well advised to listen.

MJ
conan_the_librarian

Postby Vince » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:29 am

Conan,

I have this unit also. I have a question for you: Does your unit show "sparklies" swimming about in the image in very low ambient light situations? Not fixed points of light, but more like "white noise" on a bad TV channel except "green noise". Mine does this...it does not detract from the image really...nor does it occur when I use an illuminator or if their is more ambient light. It is a really nice piece of gear though, huh.

Thanks

Vince
Vince

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:50 am

Vince,

The effect you are seeing is "background noise" that is evident on ALL units in extreme low-light. The lower the EBI number on the tube, less noise it will have.
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Postby Vince » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:07 pm

Thanks Michael. I appreciate your continued support beyond the purchase. That is becoming a rarity in many businesses these days. Is the camera adaptor for the Mini ready yet?
Vince

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:39 pm

We are hoping to see those in about a week or two :oops:
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Postby jsonshk » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:19 pm

i know this post is old, and mabey there is new headgear since then, but i just got a mini 14 and mil spec headgear and mine switched to the right eye just fine, u unscrew the nob on the front push away and you can swing the arm left or right, and you can attack the adapter one eather of the 2 mounts till you get it lined up just right
jsonshk

Return to Night Vision Product Reviews