d300-ms gen2+ ongoing report

Customer Reviews of Night Vision Equipment

Moderator: Michael

d300-ms gen2+ ongoing report

Postby Mark2005 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:53 am

Heya all!

So here i am finally with a review about the d300 gen2+ ms device. This will be also an ongoing report because i have not yet fully put it to the test only some quick views.
I will first start off with some pictures of the device itselves ok..maybe they appear at the bottom i don't know.

Anyways i ordered the device at opticshq.com, since i've been reading the forums i had a good feeling of buying there and i was right. Great customer service and fast replys either by phone fax or email.
The shipment was fine too, it arrived in the netherlands after 3 days or something...but then our customer service started to bug on me and they kept it there for 2 weeks or something like that. I had to fill in a form and send it back and then i got the device. I didn't like it but i'm glad it all arrived in one piece.

Now on to the more interesting stuff....the d300 itselves.

Ergonomics:
The device is smaller then i expected. I don't have large hands but still i get a good grip onto it. The weight does not bother me either but maybe if you're on a long field trip i suggest a headgear but for observation purpose this will be just fine. As someone stated earlier the on/off and ir switch is a bit hard to handle with 1 hand. But that's ok for me.

Optics
The lenses are very clear and seem to transmit existing light very well. I got a few tiny blemishes on my tube but i don't notice them while viewing. I don't even know if it's just dust or blemishes.

During the tests
This part will be an ongoing report...

When i got the device i first tested it out in my room. Very dark with only a few small holes which let in some light. I coulndt see much withoutmy nightvision but when i put it on i could easily navigate trough the room. Then i put the ir on and that's really unreal... It's no other then watching with your eyes in daylight only with a green image..really amazing.

I also went to the field a few minutes to check it out there. Outside this device does seem to perform much better then in my dark room. It wasn;t a reak dark night but i could not see more then 15 meters without the d300. But when i put it on i could see as far as the trees which where 500 meters away and if someone would be walking there i would have spot it. Really cool! The ir didnt made much of a difference outside. I forgot to tell..the sky was overcasted at some places but at others i could see stars...also there were some street lights far away.

Overall
I'm very satisfied with this device and i could recommend it to everyone who wants to have a decent nightvision device where they can rely on. It might be a bigger spending then a GEN1 but i think it's worhwile the investment.

question
There's an IR HIGH and IR LOW switch but i don't notice any difference? Is that because in my room the automatic brightness control lowers the brightness down when i put it too high?

------------
I hope this is not too much useless information...i will have some more tests soon with more details. Also i will make pictures (without a camera adapter though) which i will put on soon.

Take care!
regards,
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark2005

Postby Optik45 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:48 am

When you look through your tube at a white wall with the IR on do you notice like a dirty cloud in your tube? I only have about 3 very small visible blems but the tube seems kinda cloudy.

What are your specs from you Data Sheet? I ended up with a 28lp which is the lowest allowed (Kinda sucks).
Optik45

Postby Markie » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:43 pm

Hi,

Yeah when i look at a white wall i see the clouds too, but only then...not when looking at other things.

I have to check on my data card i already cant find it anymore...must be somewhere i will let u know as soon as i got it.
Markie

Postby Millerxxx » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:56 am

What does your data sheet looks like? esp. the s/n part?
Millerxxx

D300-MS illuminator

Postby sami » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:11 am

I'm interested in the purchase of this device. Please, tell me if you observe a low visible red signature if you look, with naked eyes, directly into the IR illuminator. Thanks
sami

Postby Markie » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:38 am

Yes you see some red infrared dot when u look directly into the illuminator.
Markie

Postby Adam » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:14 pm

Where do you buy one of these at? give me a site?
Adam

Postby Michael » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:40 pm

Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

hi

Postby dragonfire223 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am

with the millspec you got a data sheet i did when i got mine if its ok would you tell me ur poto sensitivity, sighal to noise ratio and lpmm please.my poto sensitivity- is 328(actual) -sighal to noise ratio 5.0(actual) and lpmm 28-25 actual im talking about d-300 ms i hope im doing this right
dragonfire223

testing tube specs

Postby nvexpert » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:32 pm

what equipment are you using to test these tubes Michael? photoresponce is not easy to test for.
nvexpert

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:55 pm

The MS tubes come with the data sheet from the manufacturer, not me. I never believed nor condoned re-sellers creating their own data sheets. It either comes from the manufacturer or not at all.
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Postby fkalich » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:01 pm

When you look through your tube at a white wall with the IR on do you notice like a dirty cloud in your tube? I only have about 3 very small visible blems but the tube seems kinda cloudy.

Yeah when i look at a white wall i see the clouds too, but only then...not when looking at other things.

Now I don't have Gen II, Michael would have to verify this explanation. However you get this same phenomena with Gen III with bright light, or against a light-colored flat suface with significant light. You see the hex pattern, it sounds to me like that is what you are talking about. It looks grainy, but looking closer you see that it is actually in a pattern of small hexagons. This is normal (although some tubes have more than others, even of the same type of tube). And really, it does not come into play when night vision is important (low light). It is totally invisible under typical use conditions.
Last edited by fkalich on Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fkalich

genII+ MS tube manufacturer

Postby nvexpert » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:04 pm

who manufactures these tubes?
nvexpert

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:18 pm

The Gen 2+ MS tubes were made by Litton subsidiary in Israel and modules have been in vacuum-seal storage for the last couple of years. As we buy them, modules are tested and new power supplies are added.
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Night vision compatibility

Postby cake » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:31 pm

Hey, this one is for Michael or anyone that can be of help. I am seriously considering getting a Gen 2+ D-300. I will be using it on a weapon mount on a 22 LR. I was wondering what the feasibility of using this type of scope in front of a low power (2-4) rifle scope. Have you experienced this? Can i expect decent resolution so as to use this setup up to 100 yds? Any help you can give me in this regard would be extremely appreciated. Any images you can send me would be even better. Thanks
cake

Next

Return to Night Vision Product Reviews