Mini 14 Hand Select Alpha Comments

Customer Reviews of Night Vision Equipment

Moderator: Michael

Mini 14 Hand Select Alpha Comments

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:14 pm

Hello all,

I am a new member to this forum, although I have been a lurker here for a while. Well, Friday I received my Mini-14 from the folks at OpticsHQ. I took it into a dark closet to check it out. There is a small amount of light that enters under the door so I could see pretty well. Not as well as I had imagined I would however. I tried it with the IR illuminator...very dramatic difference. It lit up as bright as 12:00 noon. The IR illuminator is barely (I mean barely) visible to the naked eye. At a distance of about three to four feet it is almost impossible to see. Much more discreet than the IR illuminators on lower end models. When it got dark that night I took it down to the beach. There was about a half moon if I remember correctly. The sky was on and off overcast. On the beach in the area I live in it is against city ordinance to directly illuminate the wet beach area. It seemed pretty dark. With the naked eye you could not make out people until they were about 20 feet away. In this environment the Mini was mind-blowing. Extremely bright with excellent clarity. I could not look towards the condo towers, as the light from the windows was too bright. I guess that is one instance where a manually adjustable gain might come in handy. The unit is very light and one of the best things about it is that it fits in my pockect. When looking out into the blackness over the water you could not see a thing; but with the NVD I could see all kinds of birds, fish jumping, even people swimming that you would have never known were out there. All in all I would say that I am very happy with this purchase. I have to admit I was on edge when I called Michael. The price of this NVD is not small change to me. I had been saving my pennies for quite a while. But hats off to Michael and Kobi, they made me feel comfortable with my purchase by assuring me that the quality was there. I guess now I am interested in some of the accesories for the Mini. Like the camera adaptor and the magnification lenses. Oh well, I hope this information has been helpful to some of you.

Postby Vince » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:35 pm

Sorry, I forgot to properly introduce myself...call me Vince
Vince

Postby Vince » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:45 am

I just wanted to add a comment about the "hand select" option for the high end tubes. The tube in my Mini is "flawless". I can't see a black spot or discoloration anywhere in the field of view. I feel like it is definitely worth it to pay this extra amount to get Michael to choose a tube for you. Compared to the amount you are already paying for the unit it is really just "pennies" more. I took the Mini out into the woods behind my house last night. Here in the southeast along the Gulf of Mexico coast the forests are predominantly longleaf pine and maritime forests. Heavy canopy and thick underbrush. There was much less ambient light than the night I took it out on the beach. The NVD was very impressive in these conditions. I was able to navigate and cut a trail through the brush with a machete. It was the first time I used the headgear that came with the unit. The headgear seemed comfortable enough and the weight of the scope did not bother me after a couple of hours. After some experimentation and some "near miss" dismemberment action I was able to find a focus adjustment that was a "happy medium" between looking far enough ahead and seeing close enough to see what I was cutting with the machete. What do you guys wear on your heads under the headgear? Something like a baseball cap with the bill cut off? Could soemone please give me some ideas? I don't particulary like wearing the gear on my bare (not bald but heading in that direction) head.
Vince

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:01 am

Vince,

Nice review and thank you for the time spent writing it. I have heard from a number of customers that a bandana or balaclava makes the headgear more comfortable.
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Return to Night Vision Product Reviews