Night Leopard Vignetting

Discussion about ATN / Blackline Optics Night Vision Products

Moderator: Michael

Night Leopard Vignetting

Postby brewdude » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:01 pm

Hi, I am comparing an ATN Night Leopard with a Bushnell 4366. While the ATN seems to have a much brighter display, I am troubled by significant vignetting around the perimeter of the image. Is this normal? The Bushnell didn't seem to be NEARLY as bad! :?:
brewdude

Postby Michael » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:08 pm

If you are talking about "fish-eye" effect (geometric distortion), then all Generation 1 devices have that. However, there are units that physically limit the field of view, basically blocking the distorted areas.
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Postby brewdude » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:09 am

Yeah, I guess that's what I mean. I haven't much experience with any other NV devices to know if that was normal...thanks.
One other thing I noticed, and it's kinda hard to describe, but when viewing something, I notice one particular area just off of center of the screen that appears like a stream of small particles are constantly pouring onto the screen. I would compare it to looking at a tiny stream of sand particles being poured onto a flat plate of glass, and the viewer is looking at it from below! Does that make any sense to you, and is that also a common effect with these scopes?

Thanks for your help. It's difficult to find much discussion/comparison of NV "out there". This forum is the best of the lot!!!!
brewdude

Postby Michael » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:29 am

That last is not a common problem. Sounds to me like there is an area of the tube that is not handling the electrons properly. That should be covered by the warranty and I would suggest to contact ATN and take care of it right away.
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Postby brewdude » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:13 am

Thanks Again for your help....I'll check it out w/ ATN
brewdude

Return to ATN Night Vision