PS14 gen. 2 good or bad?

Discussion about ATN / Blackline Optics Night Vision Products

Moderator: Michael

PS14 gen. 2 good or bad?

Postby sako591 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:08 am

Hallo,
i have tried to find a report or field test about an ATN PS14 2. gen. but i couldt find anything in the whole www.
Does anybody have this monocular and can tell me what is good or bad with this nv device?
What about if one puts it behind a riflescope. Can one identify wild hogs (if its male or female and so on) in a dark wood at about 40 yards?
Ok its only gen 2 but i dont want to spend a lot of money.

If you dont want to post answers here feel free to write me directly to
bassemoluff@gmx.de
sako591

PS-14

Postby Jem » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:24 pm

Hi - I seem to remember a fairly detailed review of the PS-14 by some guy that was posted here; it was when they first came out, so its over a year ago.
Funny though, i went to dig it out for you and I cant find it - maybe Michael can help - could it have been delighted by mistake?

Cheers,

Jem. :)
Jem

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:30 pm

Yes, I remember a review of it some time back, but I could not find it in the archives. As far as I remember it was for XD-4 variant. In any case, I have heard both good and bad responses. It boils down to a type of tube that is ised in the system. The PS-14 housing itself is pretty good (not quite as good as the D-300, but better then Patriot was)
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Postby sako591 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:33 am

Thank you Jem and Michael for your answers.
So the housing seems to be at least ok. What about the tubes they use in the standard PS14 gen.2? Of course you cant expect much for around 1000 dollars but are those tubes good enough to see bigger animals at 40 yards relatively clear and relatively sharp?

Perhaps someone can make me an offer for a new standard ps14 gen.2 .
If i have one i will write a deteiled and objective review about it because there is absolutely nothing one can find on the web about this monocular although it seems to be ok and well known.
Perhaps i will make a few pics with my 4 mio. megapixel canon digicam, too, this can give others an impression of the optical quality with IR on and off, in dark wood and so on.

Paul

bassemoluff@gmx.de
sako591

PS-14

Postby Jem » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:18 pm

Just came across this - it was the review I was talking about to you first.

I am sure Michael will not mind it being displayed here - even though its off another forum- because it is purely to help.

Hope it helps,

Jem.

Originator ( Username )
Carl

Subject
PS-14 review

Related URL
http://www.nightvisiongear.co.uk

We just got in a sample of the new ATN PS-14, and I think that forum members may be interested in this piece of kit.

Unfortunately, because not all accessories are available yet, we only got the pocketscope, the head-mount and an adapter that allows the unit to be used with the pvs-7 type helmet mount.

Initial impressions are very promising. The monocular is very small and light, only fractionally heavier then the mini-14. (the PS-14 with tube and battery is considerably lighter then the D-121 body minus tube and battery).
Part of the reason for this is the PS-14 can take pvs5, fat anvis and slim anvis tubes, making the body a little wider around the girth, and thence a couple of grammes heavier. However, the advantage of being able to fit it with a variety of different types of tubes is a big plus.

The PS is made from the same tough plastic as the mini, but its appearance is closer to the PVS-14, with the same sort of locking ring setup at the eyepiece end, and with both this ring, eyepiece and lens mount having a very strong look of anvis/PVS-14 furniture about them.

The switch is very similar (or the same) as the PVS-14 – mounted at the eyepiece end, one twist clockwise turns it on, pull the switch and another twist further clock-wise turns on the IR.
The IR is not a big red LED, but is a covert military-type job and virtually invisible to the naked eye.
The eyepiece has a red IR on and low battery indicator in the FOV.

The glass is very good quality and well coated, and no distortion is apparent, (distortion being the norm with lower end stuff.)

The sample that we got – thanks very much lads at ATN- was fitted with a surplus Gen 2 tube, which still gave very good performance, the optics assisting to the max. This unit would be on par with anything else around, especially if fitted with a nice Gen 3 or DEP/Photinis high performance tube.

I have a feeling that the PS-14 is going to be a huge success, offering a durable, water-proof Mil-spec housing and optics at very civilian prices.

Further comments will be added as soon as accessories are received and tested.

regards,

Carl.
Jem

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:03 pm

No problems. Jem thanks for the research.
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Return to ATN Night Vision