Another request for tube ID

Discussion about ITT Night Vision Products

Moderator: Michael

Another request for tube ID

Postby actaswu » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:04 am

Hi All,

I've been visiting this forum for a couple of months now and must say I'm really impressed with the knowledge and expertise around here.

I recently bought a Mini14 scope with a gen 3 tube. As these little lightsuckers are quite difficult to find here in Europe, I was very pleased to get hold of a decent sample, paying a little less decent, but still fair price (4500€) for it.

Although the scope works very well and has impressive performance compared to my ATN Night Spirit CGT (with an ok-ish Ekran in it), I'm now really curious what type I bought exactly :oops: .

The seller of this tube assured me it is a MX-10160C Pinnacle tube. The tube didn't come with a spec or testing sheet.

On the front of the tube this data is engraved:
ITT 273358-35 S/N 859XXX DC1009

On the side of the tube there is also a 7-digit number.

I tried looking up some id, but was unsuccessful so far. The only data relevant to me is the date code of march 2010.
Does someone now the exact model type and (min) specifications? (F9800K F9800DTG2 F9800WG* F9800TG F9800VG F9800YG, other?)

Thanks a lot for your advice.
Last edited by actaswu on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
actaswu

Re: Another request for tube ID

Postby crye-baby » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:17 am

From what little info you have to give, it sounds like an F9800VG would be comparable to your tube. Im no expert, just a best guess here.... You did come to the right place though :wink:
Former PEQ-15 User - ya Win some... & ya Lose some...........
crye-baby

Postby flex297 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:52 am

This is definitely an MX-10160C/AVS-6 MilSpec tube. If nothing else, you can check the halo which should be pretty small, under 0.7mm.
If you want to check its minimum specs, look for F9800TG, this is your type dressed in a civilian coat.
Any color you like...
flex297

Postby actaswu » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks a lot for the info.

The halos are indeed quite small and solid disk-shaped. Highlights are displayed with a fair deal of streaking.

The tube performs really well and is free of blemishes, but there is one odd thing about it. On the outer area, covering about a quarter of the screen, the resolution is slightly lower than on the rest of the tube. Even funnier, this part also behaves differently under very low light situations. It appears to be darker and is more contrasty, almost as if the ebi would be lower in that particular region.

Does someone have a clue what the reason for this may be? An uneven ion-barrier film thickness or thicker GaAs-compound coating of the photocathode in that area or another abberation?
actaswu

Postby crye-baby » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:19 pm

From what little I can tell you its common. The resolution is measured at the center of the picture so around the edges it can get fairly low res. Im still picking these things up - so don't quote me... :wink:
Former PEQ-15 User - ya Win some... & ya Lose some...........
crye-baby

Postby actaswu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:42 am

Yes, I know the resolution decreases from the center, but on this particular tube one half is sharper than the other, while it is darker as well.

I mean that the "bottom" edge is less defined than the "top" edge. When the light drops to very low levels however, the bottom has more contrast and is darker than the top and objects can be distinguished better than on the top half of the screen (as if the ebi is lower there).

I wonder if that's normal too.
actaswu

Postby Stanley » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:27 am

WU, you are correct in attributing, what you've described, as being related to EBI or the non-uniform emission of thermal electrons.

There seems to be no relation between this phenomenon and the ion barrier. This phenomenon has been noted in un-filmed tubes as well as filmed and thin-filmed tubes so any connection between variations in film thickness and non-uniform thermal electron emissions doesn't seem to be there.

Here are some photo's that document what you've noted:

Stanley

Postby actaswu » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks for your reply. The difference in sharpness between edges was caused by the tube sitting slightly tilted in the MUM.
This was caused by the tube being pushed sideways by the power contacts and the positioning tab being a bit too tall. The tube was slightly leaning away from the contacts in the housing. It was only a difference of a few millimeters, but with the short depth of field of the lens it is enough to have a major impact on focussing.

I trimmed the positioning tab a little and I plied down the contacts a little so that the sideways pressure was less. I applied some tape to the opposing site of the tube so that it sits in absolutely straight in the housing now.
Now I have a complete flat and sharp image from side to side.

Of course, the difference in EBI between the two halfs is still noticeable. It is even more pronounced than in the pictures you posted. I will try to take a decent picture of it and post it.
actaswu

Postby cxysyr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:54 pm

flex297 wrote:This is definitely an MX-10160C/AVS-6 MilSpec tube. If nothing else, you can check the halo which should be pretty small, under 0.7mm.
If you want to check its minimum specs, look for F9800TG, this is your type dressed in a civilian coat.

Hi flex297:
You have described is the tube?
http://www.morovision.com/PDF_ITTTubeSp ... 0--SLG.pdf
cxysyr

Postby cxysyr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:08 pm

View information on the tube, tube with Gate Type Auto-Gate
How to detect Auto-Gate that the effectiveness of it?
cxysyr

Postby flex297 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:20 pm

cxysyr wrote:
flex297 wrote:This is definitely an MX-10160C/AVS-6 MilSpec tube. If nothing else, you can check the halo which should be pretty small, under 0.7mm.

Hi flex297:
You have described is the tube?
http://www.morovision.com/PDF_ITTTubeSp ... 0--SLG.pdf

No. Morovision resells tubes with much more relaxed minimum requirements than the MX-10160C.
Any color you like...
flex297

Postby flex297 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:30 pm

cxysyr wrote:View information on the tube, tube with Gate Type Auto-Gate
How to detect Auto-Gate that the effectiveness of it?

I'm not sure I follow you here. You want to test how autogating works?
You can't. It's simply there in order to protect the tube and preserve its service life.
It works all the time, you can't turn it on/off
Any color you like...
flex297

Postby actaswu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:40 pm

I took a picture under waxing gibbous. Slightly overcast.

I found out that I got the best results with low iso settings and trying to steer clear of coffee. Now if the Mini had a variable aperture diafragm...

Mini14-MX10160C-Moonlit.jpg

Mini14-MX10160C-Moonlit-BW.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
actaswu

Postby Stanley » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Really clean images, very nice.
Stanley

Return to ITT Night Vision