PVS 14 Adapter for M42 camera lenses

Discussion about ITT Night Vision Products

Moderator: Michael

PVS 14 Adapter for M42 camera lenses

Postby stormsapper » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:12 am

Hello,
for several reasons, I have never been satisfied with the 3x mil spec magnifier lens
for my PVS 14.

First of all the magnification is insufficient for me.
The edge definition is very bad and the image quality suffers compared to the original 1x lens.

Due to the disappointing performance of the 3x afocal lens, i didn't want to spend one grand for the 5x lens anyway.

After some testing and some input from marc_pril, I decided to engineer an adapter to fit M42 lenses.

The adapter has the same 8 start thread as the original lens.
I did not install the close focus stop. So you can change to the original lens simply by unscrewing and replacing it.

The first image shows a 135 mm f1:2,8 Lens and the third a lens from a Russian Gen. 1 T3C-2, 85mm?

There is a big improvement in the image quality compared to the 3x magnifier.
Very crisp with a way better edge definition and a bigger field of view.

For me this project was really worth the effort.

Cheers,
Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stormsapper

Re: PVS 14 Adapter for M42 camera lenses

Postby crye-baby » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Nice, I would like to try that. btw, thought I was the only guy to use Camo Form on my 14's :wink:
Former PEQ-15 User - ya Win some... & ya Lose some...........
crye-baby

Postby efahrenholz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 pm

That was quite a nice project! You got way close to that battery cap, with any bigger of a lens you will need a smaller shaved cap to fit it. Either way, I like this.
efahrenholz

Postby stormsapper » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:41 am

In cold weather the Camo Form really pays off.
I wrapped the lens also - works well on the aluminum of the afocal lens.

Don't be fooled by the first picture, the battery cap does not protrude to the rear side of the lens.
I guess every other M42 lens will fit as well.

I played around with the focal plane, to determine the correct distance.
It is important, that the adapter is a little bit "short" so that you be sure to get a crisp image when the lens is on infinity.
Than you can adjust everything by screwing the Lock Ring in or out.

I made a cardboard template to see that nothing collides with the adapter.
Very old school, but really helps to prevent scrap metal 8).

By the way, it does not match the normal Flange focal distance listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance,
because most lenses are engineered for visible light, not IR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stormsapper

Postby marc_pril » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:44 am

Did some measurements on the standard PVS7D/14 threads. 30mm outside diameters. Relative pitch 16TPI. 8-start thread with actual 2TPI each start. 60degree angle thread .

Hope this is helpfull for someone.
marc_pril

Postby Dino1130 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:31 am

Nice project and good results ! Be careful with the 3x lenses. Most I have seen work pretty well. I got sand bagged on a Chinese knock off once. Looked just like my known milspec ones. The glass however was very much different. The 5x afocal works well but is expensive. IMHO they are overpriced for what you are getting. Still, I like mine. Nice to see people working on cheaper options that perform good.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby Bertie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:54 am

There are also options that are far better than the 3x or 5x a-focal lenses and cost less (at least over here in Europe) .
This (new old stock) lens from a Oldelft PB4DS also called Fero 52 was adapted to my PVS-7D by forum member Marc (nice job, as we are used from Marc).
It's a f1.3/100mm catadioptric lens from Francke in Germany which gives the PVS a 4x magnification.
The image is outstanding, there is no visible loss of brightness compared to the standard lens.
Lens and adapter together where about 250 euros.
Bertie

Return to ITT Night Vision