CLEANING LENSES ON A PVS 14

Discussion about ITT Night Vision Products

Moderator: Michael

CLEANING LENSES ON A PVS 14

Postby crye-baby » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi guy's Im new here, and have many Questions that Ive had trouble finding the answers to. First of all what should I not use to clean the lenses on my pvs 14. I got just a spec of water on the occular lenses and it looks like it ate the coating off of it. not really sure so I have not done anything to it, just in case. any ideas there about the coating. I ordered a lensepen, any thoughts on them for cleaning 14's. AS you can tell I am new to NOD's so any help or advice will be welcome. thanks
Former PEQ-15 User - ya Win some... & ya Lose some...........
crye-baby

Re: CLEANING LENSES ON A PVS 14

Postby crye-baby » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:58 pm

sorry also ment to add that the 14's body is an NG(silver contacts), and the tube is an ITT.
crye-baby

Postby Dino1130 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:09 pm

It differs from who you ask. Ed Wilcox says using lens tissue will wear the coatings of your lens and provide a dull appearance. He says to use cotton swabs very gently with rubbing alcohol for tough stains. For dust to use compressed air. He says a little water rubbed around with a cotton swab and blown dry with compressed air is useful for minor smudges. Distilled water will not leave any mineral residue. But plain water will work.

The gist of it is to keep rubbing the lens to a Minimum as they have a coating on them. I use pre-moistened lens tissues for eyeglasses and optics. I keep its use to only when really needed. I mainly just use compressed air for dust. Harsh rubbing or use of glass cleaners will remove the coating over time. What the military says is different but they have lots more money then us consumers. I tend to like Ed's method. My method is similar but slightly modified because I have a truckload of optical wipes from work.

Religious use of the lens cap cuts down on any cleanings needed by a great deal.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby crye-baby » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Thank you Sir, I used the q-tip & alcohol just a second ago - Perfect! I think Mr. Wilcox just told me the same thing on another forum. you guy's are great!!!!!! I have also been told that my occular houseing should not just screw right off. Any ideas there.
crye-baby

Return to ITT Night Vision