Opinions on ITT 160 please

Discussion about ITT Night Vision Products

Moderator: Michael

Re: Opinions on ITT 160 please

Postby b_rogers » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:52 am

The other morning there was one for BIN $300. I almost bought it but it looked a bit weathered.
http://www.downtowndogz.com
b_rogers

Postby saturnsc2 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:57 am

b_rogers wrote:The other morning there was one for BIN $300. I almost bought it but it looked a bit weathered.

i just recently seen a mint 160 night mariner go for $500.00 & aonther one for even less. by the time i went to buy it now someone else hit it. ya know what though they could have had problems, ya never know being used...
saturnsc2

Postby efahrenholz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:44 pm

saturnsc2 wrote:
b_rogers wrote:The other morning there was one for BIN $300. I almost bought it but it looked a bit weathered.

i just recently seen a mint 160 night mariner go for $500.00 & aonther one for even less. by the time i went to buy it now someone else hit it. ya know what though they could have had problems, ya never know being used...

I personally wouldn't recommend buying a broken NightQuest 150 or 160. Once you open them up, it's next to impossible to put it back together without breaking the tabs off on the diopter lens. I had to make small cuts in the plastic just to get them to go back together! It was totally garbage and I broke a wire somehow taking it apart. Not built very well. It feels really solid but that's the water seal they put all around it that gets destroyed after opening it up. The only way I found to safely open them up at all is to remove the rubber button on the top by pulling it out and take a separating style pair of pliers after you removed all the screws.
efahrenholz

Postby Dino1130 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:41 pm

I have taken my fair share of 160's apart. I actually got pretty good at it. I will say it is the the biggest pain in the ass I ever worked on. Getting it apart is the easy step. Getting it back together in a professional way suitable for resale is a challenge ! Can be done but not for the timid....
Last edited by Dino1130 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby efahrenholz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:56 am

Dino1130 wrote:I have taken my fair share of 160's apart. I actually got pretty good at it. I will say it the the biggest pain in the ass I ever worked on. Getting it apart is the easy step. Getting it back together in a professional way suitable for resale is a challenge ! Can be done but not for the timid....

You happen to know the order that the connectors go into the circuit board in those things? I pulled my apart for no good reason because I was disassembling it to play with the lenses on a gen 3 tube and now I can't remember which way the connectors went. One is like a 6 pin receptacle, and the other is a 4 pin receptacle, but both connectors are 4 pin style.
efahrenholz

Postby Dino1130 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:57 am

Not off my head. If I was looking at it I may be able to help. I usually snap a picture before I do a complete disassemble so I know what goes where. Stan has a fair amount of experience with these scopes as well. Shoot him a PM and he may be able to help.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Previous

Return to ITT Night Vision