Wilcox Filter??

Discussion about ITT Night Vision Products

Moderator: Michael

Wilcox Filter??

Postby lcpd452 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Maybe someone can help me out, I have a ITT Night enforcer PVS-14, very clear tube, no blems, I use a Wilcox filter on it, and it really takes out the green in the tube, then I bought the AN/PVS-14, this one has the NSN # on it, again, very clear, no blems, I bought a Wilcox for this one, but it seems, it does not take out really any of the greenish color in the tube, does anyone know why there is such a big differance between the PVS-14, and the AN/PVS-14 with the Wilcox filter??
lcpd452

Re: Wilcox Filter??

Postby Stanley » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:25 pm

lcpd452 wrote:Maybe someone can help me out, I have a ITT Night enforcer PVS-14, very clear tube, no blems, I use a Wilcox filter on it, and it really takes out the green in the tube, then I bought the AN/PVS-14, this one has the NSN # on it, again, very clear, no blems, I bought a Wilcox for this one, but it seems, it does not take out really any of the greenish color in the tube, does anyone know why there is such a big differance between the PVS-14, and the AN/PVS-14 with the Wilcox filter??

Just as everything else that's manufactured there can be variations from one run to the next. My guess is that's what your experiencing. I believe the wilcox filter is a polycabonate based material and as such batch variations could easily occur. Have you tried swapping the filters to see if that makes a difference?

Just as with the filter, phosphor screens can have variations in the intensity of wavelengths they emit so it could be another reason.

Another might be a variation in the the output brightness between the two units i.e. the AN/PVS-14 might have a higher output level than the NE/PVS-14, which could also account for the difference.
Stanley

Postby lcpd452 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Thanks for the info, that is what I was thinking, I tried both filters, and it was the same result.
lcpd452

Postby Stanley » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:57 pm

lcpd452 wrote:Thanks for the info, that is what I was thinking, I tried both filters, and it was the same result.

I'm a bit dense at times but not sure I understand what the result was when you tried the old filter on the PVS and what it was when you tried the new filter. Are you saying that both filters had the same affect on the PVS. If so, I'd say it's probably a variation in the output brightness between the two units.

Without the filter, is the color of the phosphor screen approximately the same between them? Could be that by some fluke, you have P-20 phosphor for the NE and P-43 for the PVS.
Stanley

Postby lcpd452 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:51 am

Sorry about that, but yes, both filters are the new Wilcox type, they are the same filter, I will check the green in both units tonight outside, but I think the green in this new unit is like a much richer looking green.
lcpd452

Return to ITT Night Vision