S/N question re: ITT NEPVS

Discussion about ITT Night Vision Products

Moderator: Michael

S/N question re: ITT NEPVS

Postby talos4 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:01 am

I recently purchased an ITT NEPVS-14 monocular from Morovision. It was the third one from the them as I returned the first one because of a large blemish in Zone 2 and the second unit because of a large resolution defect in Zone 1 extending out to Zone 3 (I thought they filter out these PINNACLE tubes at ITT). Anyway, although they exchanged the prior two units without any problem, this third unit, although lacking the defects in the prior tubes, definitely does not have the same resolution as the first tube. I know all tubes are like diamonds, but is there any way to check the S/N ratio in this unit as it does not have a data card enclosed with it . I can say that after reading on the board here, had I known about this site prior to my purchase, I would have purchased from Opticshq instead.

Thanks

George
talos4

Re: S/N question re: ITT NEPVS

Postby Stanley » Fri May 14, 2010 5:47 pm

talos4 wrote:I recently purchased an ITT NEPVS-14 monocular from Morovision. It was the third one from the them as I returned the first one because of a large blemish in Zone 2 and the second unit because of a large resolution defect in Zone 1 extending out to Zone 3 (I thought they filter out these PINNACLE tubes at ITT).

ITT does filter them out, your getting the ones that fall through those filters (performance specifications). Look at the specifications that Morovision lists for their Pinnacle tubes and then compare that to the Min/Max specs on the ITT data sheets. When you enter into a contract with ITT to purchase fallout tubes, that contract is for a certain number of tubes (value based), there is no cherry picking. The tubes can vary way outside of the range acceptable specs as noted by the difference between the min/max specs listed by ITT and Morovision. What you usually going to be receive when purchasing form Morovision, is an ITT tube that didn't meet one or more of the specs listed for the Pinnacle range. Again note Morovision's spec sheet.

Anyway, although they exchanged the prior two units without any problem, this third unit, although lacking the defects in the prior tubes, definitely does not have the same resolution as the first tube. I know all tubes are like diamonds, but is there any way to check the S/N ratio in this unit as it does not have a data card enclosed with it .

This is why I'll take the spots over the spot free. Spots do come in handy and are far less distracting than other operational issues.

First off you should return it for a full refund. If that's not possible then you can have it tested at any number of places;

http://www.nivisys.com/en/services/view/image_instensifiers/

http://www.aeoptics.com/repair.html

http://www.asu-nvg.com/Services/Goggle_Service/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley

Postby talos4 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Stanley,

Thank you for the great response. I had no idea the tubes sold by them had data statistics min/max that far below ITT's data sheet. I am returning the unit and going to contact Michael for one.
talos4

Postby Dino1130 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:46 pm

Michael will pick you out a good tube that will perform well ! Good choice !
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby Dino1130 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:07 pm

Stanley wrote:
talos4 wrote:I recently purchased an ITT NEPVS-14 monocular from Morovision. It was the third one from the them as I returned the first one because of a large blemish in Zone 2 and the second unit because of a large resolution defect in Zone 1 extending out to Zone 3 (I thought they filter out these PINNACLE tubes at ITT).

ITT does filter them out, your getting the ones that fall through those filters (performance specifications). Look at the specifications that Morovision lists for their Pinnacle tubes and then compare that to the Min/Max specs on the ITT data sheets. When you enter into a contract with ITT to purchase fallout tubes, that contract is for a certain number of tubes (value based), there is no cherry picking. The tubes can vary way outside of the range acceptable specs as noted by the difference between the min/max specs listed by ITT and Morovision. What you usually going to be receive when purchasing form Morovision, is an ITT tube that didn't meet one or more of the specs listed for the Pinnacle range. Again note Morovision's spec sheet.

Anyway, although they exchanged the prior two units without any problem, this third unit, although lacking the defects in the prior tubes, definitely does not have the same resolution as the first tube. I know all tubes are like diamonds, but is there any way to check the S/N ratio in this unit as it does not have a data card enclosed with it .

This is why I'll take the spots over the spot free. Spots do come in handy and are far less distracting than other operational issues.

I agree with Stan 100% and then some. So many people get short changed looking for that perfect image. Blemished tubes can be great deals and are often very good performers. Many pass them by because they have a spot or two. Not me ! The best tube I have has a large blemish almost dead center. The tube kicks ass ! It has no data card but beats the hell out of every tube I have with one ! I will take spots ANY DAY over a low performing tube. Stan has showed that a blemish or two can even be useful under certain situations in previous posts. Don't be turned off by a spot or two. They can be some of the best tubes around and are often overlooked by inexperienced night vision buyers.

If you kick in doors for a living you may need that crystal clean image. Most of us just use night vision for fun and recreation. The whole blemish thing with most people is 99% in their head. A blemish or two is no big deal and in no way affects the life of the tube. I look for blemished tubes when I bid on scopes because I know many are turned off by it. I have "stolen" a lot because people did not want them. I just don't know why people get so bent over a spot or two. :D
Dino1130

Postby talos4 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:59 pm

I dont care about the occasional blemish outside of Zone 1, what I do care about is resolution and S/N ratio. Isn't that part of the whole reasoning for purchasing a Gen 3 tube ? The fact is, these tubes are being promoted as ITT Pinnacle tubes without mention that they failed ITT's internal quality control and are sold to the public as seconds without any mention of this either. The other issue is that both prior NEPVS-14s I had returned to Morovision shouldn't have even passed the quality control at Morovision secondary to their own published documentation.
talos4

Postby Brazos609 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:44 pm

If you got an actual NEPVS14-17 from Morovision they had nothing to do with tube selection. The Night Enforcer is built by ITT and Morovision is just the distributor/retailer.
Brazos609

Postby talos4 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:09 pm

Brazos609 wrote:If you got an actual NEPVS14-17 from Morovision they had nothing to do with tube selection. The Night Enforcer is built by ITT and Morovision is just the distributor/retailer.

Then why are the specs different ?
talos4

Postby Dino1130 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:53 pm

While the dealer of a ITT night enforcer did not install the tube (ITT did) they do have control of what is sold. Good dealers will look through every scope they sell before it goes in the box. This is why it is important to deal with a quality dealer who stands behind what they sell (OpticsHQ.com).

Some dealers don't do this and it is just luck of the draw. :D
Dino1130

Postby talos4 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 am

Dino,

I returned the unit to Morovision and Michael(opticshq.com) selected for me a PVS-14 which across the board blows away the Night Enforcer I previously acquired from Morovision. I am extremely happy with the unit I purchased from Michael.
talos4

Postby b_rogers » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:10 pm

talos4 wrote:Dino,

I returned the unit to Morovision and Michael(opticshq.com) selected for me a PVS-14 which across the board blows away the Night Enforcer I previously acquired from Morovision. I am extremely happy with the unit I purchased from Michael.

Awesome! Love it when a frown turns upside down :D
http://www.downtowndogz.com
b_rogers

Return to ITT Night Vision