image flutters

Discussion about ITT Night Vision Products

Moderator: Michael

image flutters

Postby saturnsc2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:30 pm

i just bought an itt 160 generation 3 monocular. when i view images when it's really dark there's no problem, but when i view an image where there's slightly more ambient light the image flutters, or sort of blinks. is this normal? i never seen any other night vision scopes do this...
saturnsc2
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: image flutters

Postby Dino1130 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:20 pm

No, I would almost guarantee it is a issue with the power supply. Is may be fixed by better insulating the wires coming off the power supply. Stan is pretty familiar with this unit and helped me fix mine. I will let him chime in and see what he thinks before we go any further with how to repair it. They are a PITA to take apart and get it all sealed back up. The actual repair was easy.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:38 pm
Location: USA

Re: image flutters

Postby saturnsc2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Dino1130 wrote:No, I would almost guarantee it is a issue with the power supply. Is may be fixed by better insulating the wires coming off the power supply. Stan is pretty familiar with this unit and helped me fix mine. I will let him chime in and see what he thinks before we go any further with how to repair it. They are a PITA to take apart and get it all sealed back up. The actual repair was easy.

thanks. actually i was the one who wanted to buy your gen 2 on ebay recently, but i held out for this one. great idea huh? i'm going to try to return it as the auction did specify a 7 day return period. if ya want to still post some helpful ideas on a repair go ahead through in case he won't let me return it & i'm struck with this one.

speaking of the power supply when i switch it on i hear a whining noise in the unit. usually gen 1 does this, & i have never heard a gen 3 make this noise. i wonder if that's related to the flutter problem....
saturnsc2
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: image flutters

Postby Dino1130 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:36 am

The Gen 2 I sold was one of the best Gen 2 scopes I ever looked thru. It was a nice one that was like new. The power supply in this unit is not built into the tube. It sits to the side of it inside the scope. The insulation on the wires at the output side of the PSU is very poor in my opinion. They arch sometimes and will cause a dimming fluttering effect. The fix is to open it up and turn it on on a dark room. Use a cheap Gen 1 scope to find where the arching is. It will show up plain as day with even a cheap Gen 1 scope. You will need some heat shrink tubing and some marine grade silicone to smear around to really insulate it well. Use the silicone to seal the two half's back together. This will make it water proof again. It is a pain to get it sealed back together with a nice clean bead to make it look like it came from the factory. It can be done but will take some time.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:38 pm
Location: USA

Re: image flutters

Postby saturnsc2 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:11 pm

i remember reading about this in that thread where we talked about the plastic lenses vs glass. anyway i wound up just returning the scope. i didn't want to take a chance. who knows maybe it damaged the tube, or at least shortened it's life. there's a viewer on ebay that was repaired by an itt repair facility & i bet that one's a good buy because they probably repaired those short commings like the poor insulation.. it also has a warranty on it so you can't go wrong.
saturnsc2
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: image flutters

Postby Dino1130 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Well as much as I like ITT they dropped the ball on my unit. I sent it to ITT and it came back to me doing the same thing (maybe it got fixed on a friday and the tech was in a hurry to start his weekend). I am a pretty good with electronics and such. I pulled my hair out trying to find the problem. Stan came along and pointed me in the right direction. After that the fix was pretty simple.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:38 pm
Location: USA

Re: image flutters

Postby saturnsc2 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Dino1130 wrote:Well as much as I like ITT they dropped the ball on my unit. I sent it to ITT and it came back to me doing the same thing (maybe it got fixed on a friday and the tech was in a hurry to start his weekend). I am a pretty good with electronics and such. I pulled my hair out trying to find the problem. Stan came along and pointed me in the right direction. After that the fix was pretty simple.

what unit are you referring to that they fixed? well i was referring to AEOPTICS. they do repair work for ITT. they told me that when people buy used night vision on the internet they are one of the places that most likely repaired the unit. they are one of a few places that can actually test a tube they say.
saturnsc2
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: image flutters

Postby Dino1130 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:40 pm

ITT Gen 3 160. This was quite a few years back. It was sent to Roanoke, VA. They replaces the battery compartment just fine but the PSU problem never got repaired. But I fixed it myself so I was happy.

I don't know much of AOoptics but I see they do NON warranty work for ITT scopes. I have sold MANY used scopes and they never repaired any of mine. Never really heard of them much. I don't know what their relationship is with ITT . They may be fine people to do business with but I just don't know much of anything about them.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:38 pm
Location: USA

Re: image flutters

Postby saturnsc2 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Dino1130 wrote:ITT Gen 3 160. This was quite a few years back. It was sent to Roanoke, VA. They replaces the battery compartment just fine but the PSU problem never got repaired. But I fixed it myself so I was happy.

I don't know much of AOoptics but I see they do NON warranty work for ITT scopes. I have sold MANY used scopes and they never repaired any of mine. Never really heard of them much. I don't know what their relationship is with ITT . They may be fine people to do business with but I just don't know much of anything about them.
they do like ya said non warranty work for itt. they tend to sell used itt repaired viewers such as this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT i might buy it when i get my refund. i once had a set of these but with less magnification: http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-Night-visio ... 335b0fadf3 i had them in the 90's. they are hard to find now. they had pretty rlight amplification & a clear view for gen 1 in my opinion. some cheap gen 1 scopes on ebay suck royal but these were pretty good & worth the extra money. they are new & they have all glass optics & are genuine military issue. very well made. i'm sort of tempted to buy them also...
saturnsc2
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: image flutters

Postby Stanley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:31 am

If the problem is the same as most, it's a simple fix of insulating the wires better, or moving their location a bit. The hardest part is tearing the unit down, they were ment as throw away units, GASP, well they were. As is the case, they can be damaged in the tear down. Let us know if you keep it or not. You might convince Dean or myself to have a look at it.
Stanley
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:46 pm

Re: image flutters

Postby saturnsc2 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:19 pm

Stanley wrote:If the problem is the same as most, it's a simple fix of insulating the wires better, or moving their location a bit. The hardest part is tearing the unit down, they were ment as throw away units, GASP, well they were. As is the case, they can be damaged in the tear down. Let us know if you keep it or not. You might convince Dean or myself to have a look at it.

i'm starting to wish i kept the scope & let you guys fix it. it probably would have been good then for a long time. i got a case filed with ebay or about 2 weeks & i keep getting promised they will refund my money, but so far not a penny. ebay says it's covered under their buyer policy & they will reimburse me if the seller doesn't but that doesn't make me feel any better....
saturnsc2
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: image flutters

Postby efahrenholz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:31 am

Stanley wrote:If the problem is the same as most, it's a simple fix of insulating the wires better, or moving their location a bit. The hardest part is tearing the unit down, they were ment as throw away units, GASP, well they were. As is the case, they can be damaged in the tear down. Let us know if you keep it or not. You might convince Dean or myself to have a look at it.


When you say it's hard to tear the unit down, how difficult is it exactly? I read around a lot about what type of tube they use and I kept reading that it is a special glass input glass output intensifier. Is it an awkward sized tube? Also, are the lenses glass or plastic? I have to admit i've compared prices and I got mine at a fair average price but i'm afraid the image quality in comparison to other gen 2 equipment makes it look subpar. I can't find a whole lot of information on any the equipment I ever buy lol.
efahrenholz
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:43 pm


Return to ITT Night Vision

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest