itt nightquest 160 focus

Discussion about ITT Night Vision Products

Moderator: Michael

itt nightquest 160 focus

Postby saturnsc2 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:43 pm

i just bought a nice used itt 160 nightquest viewer. i got a question to anyone who also uses one of these. don't both lenses focus on these or is it just the front lens? on the one i just bought only the front lens is the focus while the rear (eyepiece) does'nt rotate. i thought both focus unless i'm mistaken...
saturnsc2

Postby Dino1130 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:50 pm

The newer models had both ocular and objective focus. Some of the older ones only came with objective focus.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby saturnsc2 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm

DeanJSnyder wrote:The newer models had both ocular and objective focus. Some of the older ones only came with objective focus.
ya i thought so. i guess this is an older one then, but it looks like new & works very well. i guess i just got a good one.....

i once had one that was pretty beat up & had both focuses, if anything that unit looked older...
saturnsc2

Postby saturnsc2 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:10 pm

what advantage does a unit with both focuses have over one with only the front focus?

seems to me it really would'nt matter that much really...
saturnsc2

Postby Dino1130 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:21 pm

If you use glasses the ocular adjust is great ! If you have good eyesight you won't have much use for it.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby saturnsc2 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:09 pm

DeanJSnyder wrote:If you use glasses the ocular adjust is great ! If you have good eyesight you won't have much use for it.
no glasses. i thought it was related to glasses use. thanks...
saturnsc2

Re:

Postby efahrenholz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:41 am

Dino1130 wrote:The newer models had both ocular and objective focus. Some of the older ones only came with objective focus.

However it must be remembered that some units have stuck ocular adjustment rings so you have to give it some muscle to make the grease break free. At least that was the case for mine. I didn't even know I could adjust the front till I I decided if I could take off the front ocular lens and instead of it coming off, the dang thing came into focus. I was happy none-the-less. :mrgreen:
efahrenholz

Re: Re:

Postby saturnsc2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:34 pm

efahrenholz wrote:
Dino1130 wrote:The newer models had both ocular and objective focus. Some of the older ones only came with objective focus.

However it must be remembered that some units have stuck ocular adjustment rings so you have to give it some muscle to make the grease break free. At least that was the case for mine. I didn't even know I could adjust the front till I I decided if I could take off the front ocular lens and instead of it coming off, the dang thing came into focus. I was happy none-the-less. :mrgreen:

i had one that had both focuses & the eyepiece really didn't turn easily, wasn't stuck but very stiff. i never really understood the need for both focuses. the eyepiece focus really didn't do much but screw up the front focus! i can see the need for the binocular version seeing both of your eyes might be different & using them at the same time might require different focuses for each eye but using one at a time for a scope? doesn't make sense....
saturnsc2

Re: itt nightquest 160 focus

Postby efahrenholz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:45 pm

The front lens is called the diopter, it's made to assist with variations in the eye. I personally have to adjust the diopter for each eye if I ever switch it, or if I have binoculars. One of my eyes have a harder time focusing on what the other eye can see fine.
efahrenholz

Return to ITT Night Vision