Armasight Spark

Discussion about Multi Purpose Night Vision Systems

Moderator: Michael

Armasight Spark

Postby efahrenholz » Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Have any of you noticed a new manufacturer pop up called Armasight? I decided to investigate the Spark. It's supposedly some kind of high performance gen 1, with a ceramic tube. Since when did wafer style gen 1 tubes come out? Well anyways, they claim to be 60lp/mm with minimal edge distortion. They also claim it has higher sensitivity than standard gen 1 tubes... It's basically advertised as a MCP-less modern wafer tube. I'm not sure if it's got an electrostatic inverter or if it's using fiberoptic. I need to email the manufacturer to get some more information. It's priced at around $500.

I found a YouTube link to a video of it in action. It looks promising for gen 1. Might even perform close to gen 2, without the mcp related noise. I don't know how honest this video is, so it's only speculation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luUzFC9LiyQ&nomobile=1

I wanted to add that in the video, there is obviously no IR being used. I don't know the test conditions though. They do show the alleyway is very dark, and I didn't see any bold outlines of shadows, so possibly no moon. In the video without night vision, there is some slight skyglow, but theres also no nearby ambient lights. It's possible these new tubes use gen 2 extended red photocathodes. You guys gotta call it on this one, is it bogus?
efahrenholz

Re: Armasight Spark

Postby tangloppen » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:42 am

Any news on this subject?
newb.
tangloppen

Postby untis » Thu May 09, 2013 3:27 am

Does anyone have any info or experience on this unit?

Only (useful) info I've found so far from multiple sites are:

Resolution: 45-55lp/mm (some quote up to 60lp/mm)
Lens: F1.7 35mm (F1.7 does seem low especially for a single stage gen1 tube?)
FOV: 30
Photocathode sensitivity: up to 350 mn/lm
Gain: ~1500x (seems a bit higher than your usual gen1/1+ of ~500-1000x if I'm not wrong)

The online reviews are generally signing praises for this, comparing them to low-end gen2 quality, but I've found no good quality pictures or videos of the unit in action apart from the Armasight's promo vid linked above.

I'm thinking of picking one up in the next month or so anyway, if it doesn't live up to the hype then it'll just be returned but would be good to know what to expect beforehand :).
untis

Postby 45K40 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:46 am

Untis,

I would pass on this one, its a toy. Only 30 degrees FOV = tunnel-vision. Most reviews I read said "works great with the built-in illuminator! Works even better with an external illuminator!" It looks tacticool, but I would go for Gen 2 at a minimum,

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Postby untis » Wed May 15, 2013 2:45 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm now looking to get an Armasight Sirius Gen2+ instead now. Although I've been wondering if it is possible to 'upgrade' my current Pulsar Challenger GS with a Gen 2 tube like xx1306 or p8306c ? Main reason for this is because I do like the Pulsar's casing and it is compatible with PVS14 J-Arm that I'm already using for my helmet, and the Armasight would require new arm as well :(.
untis

Postby untis » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:01 am

If anyone's still curious about this, David (cj7hawk) has written an excellent review of it here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/41659 ... Gen2_.html

Looks to me like it could be a good alternative for those who can't afford gen2 or better.

David, how do you think the SPARK compares to digital (with and without IR)?
untis

Return to Multi Purpose Systems