laser for gen 1

Discussion about Multi Purpose Night Vision Systems

Moderator: Michael

laser for gen 1

Postby Mugster » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for a cheap laser to mount on a rifle to use in conjunction with a gen 1 (yukon nvmt). The yukon rifle kit for nvmt has one (probably pretty low powered), but i don't want to pay $125 for a mounting system and what looks to be a cheap laser.

I believe I can do the mount for about $25, just drilling holes in a riser block and mounting that to the rail on the rifle. I intend to mount the laser on the same rail, below and forward of the NVMT optic. The way it works, you sight in the laser to the rifle in the day time and then just attach the optic (hopefully inclined correctly so it can "see" the beam headed downrange).

From reading other threads, it looks like lower power is better. Less harmful to the optic. For a gen 1 tube, does anyone have a rule of thumb on how powerful a laser i can get away with? Green or red laser? Yukon looks to use a red laser in their rifle kit. If green is less harmful to the tube, perhaps i should go green. The el cheapo BSA's are an option. Looks like they run about $20 - $25 and come with a mount.

Any advice appreciated.
Mugster

Postby b_rogers » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:42 pm

i have a gen 1 mono i rigged to a red dot scope onmy .22 (the red dot doesnt work too bright and the reflective coating skews the dot) and use a <5mw cheapo laser with a piece of polarizing film (guts from a floppy) over the laser lens. it knocks the lasers intensity down to a useable level (visible only barely without the n.v). this model mounts to a 3/8 dovetail and fits just right in FRONT of the weaver adapter with lots of clearance..works like a champ and only cost 20 bucks at academy sports. during the day i pop the rubber cap with the film off and im back to normal...i actually think its a gasp....daisy or bsa laser, it came with 3 different mounts and a pressure pad! but no loss of zero yet and im rough on that gun..hope this helps.
b_rogers

Postby Mugster » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:45 pm

Thats exactly what I'm looking to do. I just want to mount everything on one riser block so I can go .22 or pull it off and stick it on the .223. I beat my stuff up pretty good too. I might go $40 on the laser. This unit reviews well and might hold up better than a BSA:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/c ... 2&i=129959

Here's a youtube video of one of these in green captured on a yukon ranger. I assume its 5mw but i dunno for sure. No way you could use it to sight with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5d-1rQnNKA
Mugster

Postby b_rogers » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:51 am

i forgot to say this setup works with the gen 1 atn mono, digimax digital night vision camera thru red dot(the most fun and lightweight..kill rats on tv!! NOT COVERT, and second gen meyers dark invader, although a bit bright thru the gen 2 (with new batteries i use a piece of exposed x-ray film)
i tried a friends green laser with a neutral density filter, polarizing filter, and battery starvation and could not get anything other than a HUGE baseball size dot even at 10m.

illumination from fleabay 8mm ir 3chip led driven HARD in a 2 dollar led light i found in my tool box.

hope this helps..workin on some pics to do a "poor mans n.v comparison" as i am a total diy addict..but i cant get the digicam to co-operate

i saw a new amt aries mk258 pop up on the evil auction site for 169 and i bought it..gonna be cool to compare all three "cheapie" setups.

Brent
Last edited by b_rogers on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
b_rogers

Postby Mugster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:40 am

Oh yeah, it helps. My only experience with it is military 88-94. The strategy then was to use tracer to aim small arms in conjunction with goggles, or i think. The ground pounders I talked to had no lasers anyway. The only laser we had was the LRF on the tank, which was a beast. You could make a cow hop with it if you lazed one in the butt at 500 meters. But we used the vehicle thermals 24 hours a day, they were that good.
Mugster

Postby Dino1130 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:07 am

Mugster wrote:Oh yeah, it helps. My only experience with it is military 88-94. The strategy then was to use tracer to aim small arms in conjunction with goggles, or i think. The ground pounders I talked to had no lasers anyway. The only laser we had was the LRF on the tank, which was a beast. You could make a cow hop with it if you lazed one in the butt at 500 meters. But we used the vehicle thermals 24 hours a day, they were that good.

Now that is funny ! I need to get one of those LRF's for a few guys on the job! If it motivates a cow big Bubba should not be a problem !
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby b_rogers » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:16 am

oh, make sure you only "blip" the laser to get close to aim point sos you dont burn any spots on your tube..

mine leaves a faint "ghost spot" for a millisecond that helps final shot alignment for me.

then i take my shot with the shortest hold possible.

no probs or spots yet, and i have been using at least one of my setups every night for an hour or so at 5 to 20m range. (major rat problems around my business) for about a month now, lets cross our fingers!

i just use it VERY economically exept with the digicam setup ill leave it on for a bit..i did blip one in the eye last week and it freaked and ran like it was on fire...
b_rogers

Postby Mugster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:37 pm

b_rogers wrote:oh, make sure you only "blip" the laser to get close to aim point sos you dont burn any spots on your tube..

mine leaves a faint "ghost spot" for a millisecond that helps final shot alignment for me.

then i take my shot with the shortest hold possible.

no probs or spots yet, and i have been using at least one of my setups every night for an hour or so at 5 to 20m range. (major rat problems around my business) for about a month now, lets cross our fingers!

i just use it VERY economically exept with the digicam setup ill leave it on for a bit..i did blip one in the eye last week and it freaked and ran like it was on fire...

Roger.

Laser on order. I'll try and post a pic if I get something operable.
Mugster

Postby b_rogers » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:23 pm

i snapped the mount on my cheapo yesterday...i

m thinking about getting one of the lasermax subcompact or one of the copies..that thing is tiny!!!

figure that will be hard for me to break! :wink:
b_rogers

Return to Multi Purpose Systems