D-300 headgear - milspec vs. commercial

Discussion about Multi Purpose Night Vision Systems

Moderator: Michael

D-300 headgear - milspec vs. commercial

Postby John in Ar » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:16 pm

I apologize in advance, as I know this has almost certainly been rehashed here over & over, but in my site searches, I haven't been able to come to a definite decision.

A few months ago I bought a D-300 Mil-Spec Gen 2+ from OpticsHQ. I'm extremely happy with it, but now have the inevitable question about headgear. From all I've read, the commercial version is how I'm currently leaning, but wanted to ask before purchasing; is there any advantage to the mil-spec version of the headgear? Advantage for non-helmet-wearers, that is - I'm LE (rural Arkansas) but not military, so helmet-wear isn't an issue.

Thanks
John in Ar

Postby John in Ar » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:38 am

Nothing...?

Bummer. :(
John in Ar

Postby Dino1130 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:42 am

To be real honest the headgear is darn uncomfortable. Thats why they call it the skullcrusher. I have heard the commercial headgear is a bit better comfort wise. Most just use a mount and adapt it to a bike or skate helmet which is WAY more comfortable for extended use.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby iggy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Dont have any experience with the MS head gear, had the com spec stuf myself but cant imagine the MS stuf beating a helmet setup for stability and ease of use.
iggy

Postby John in Ar » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:16 pm

An additional question.

Shortly after buying the D-300, I also purchased an ELR-VF illuminator that I'm very happy with. Will either of the headgear setups allow the ELR-VF light to remain attached to the D-300 while worn?

If not, is there any wearable option that does allow the ELR-VF to remain mounted to the D-300 while being worn? I can live without the illuminator being mounted, but would prefer to have the option if there's any way to do it.

Thanks.
John in Ar

Heres a little info on MILSPEC

Postby hardeeman » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:07 pm

I have noticed there have been some posters asking about the differences of MILSPEC and commercial so I thought this might help on the MILSPEC side.

MIL-SPEC, i.e., military specification, aka military standard (MIL-STD), is typically considered a United States Defense standard used to describe an item that can meet standardization objectives determined by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD).

Also referred to as MIL-STD, this defense standard aims to ensure products meet very specific requirements, commonality, reliability, compatibility with logistics systems, total cost of ownership (TCO) and similar defense-related objectives.

Additional users of defense standards include other non-defense government organizations, technical organizations and industry.
But what, exactly, are military specifications, and how are they different from military standards, and does "defense standard" encompass both terms or is it synonymous with both?

According to the Government Accountability Office (GAO) (pg. 4), "'military specifications' describe the physical and/or operational characteristics of a product, and 'military standards' detail the processes and materials to be used to make the product." The standards, as further noted, can also describe how to manage the manufacturing and testing of a part.

Further noted the GAO, some principal purposes for MIL-SPECs: to ensure interoperability between products; to provide products that can perform in extreme conditions; to protect against contractor fraud; and to promote greater opportunities for competition among contractors.

Defense standards originate from the necessary ensuring of military equipment's proper performance, and from there they evolved. Despite the benefits of these standards' compatibility, reliability and commonality, the proliferation of standards had a number of drawbacks.

There were so many standards — nearly 30,000 by 1990. There then came considered-unnecessary restrictions, increased cost to contractors, and an impediment of the incorporation of the latest technology. A memorandum in 1994 was issued by the then Secretary of Defense in response to growing criticism, effectively eliminating the use of most defense standards. (This has become known as the "Perry memo.") As such, many defense standards were cancelled, and the DoD encouraged the use of industry standards in their place. (See previous article on industry standards.)

Earlier this year, however, the DoD partially reversed its previous proclamation, issuing a new memorandum that permits use of defense standards without obtaining a waiver; though it did not reinstate any cancelled defense standards. In a nutshell MIL-SPEC basically means that the equipment is held to a higher standard than that of its commercial competitor. “AKA battlefield tested”.

A MIL-STD/MIL-SPEC/defense standard can also mean the actual documentation that lists, explains and altogether establishes the standard or specification itself, a compilation of prerequisites than an item must meet for DoD acceptance; whether for uniform engineering or technical requirements for processes, procedures, practices or methods.
hardeeman

Postby John in Ar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:22 pm

FWIW, I bought the commercial version. Can't comment on comparative comfort between the two since I've never used the mil-spec, but I can absolutely live with the commercial version, at least for now. And I definitely like the commercial-version's ability (that the mil-spec lacks), to tilt the monocular up & out of the way when not in use.

So far, so good, as they say... :)
John in Ar

Return to Multi Purpose Systems