LASERS

Discussion about Multi Purpose Night Vision Systems

Moderator: Michael

LASERS

Postby ~OWL~ » Sun May 18, 2008 5:26 pm

Can you use a standard laser with MUM devices?

OWL
~OWL~

Postby IHJ » Sat May 24, 2008 11:00 am

Maybe some more detail needed 'OWL' :D ?

Do you want a Laser for 'extra IR illumination' or target designation - and I sincerely hope you are talking about an Infra Red Laser?

Here in the UK, IR Lasers are easily available & fully legal but their use with Gen 3 is usually 'deprecated' :? (disapproved of) as they can fool some of the in-built safety systems & damage the tube.
IHJ

Postby ~OWL~ » Sat May 24, 2008 1:23 pm

Thanks for your help.
Yes I'm getting a Gen 3 select monocle and want to use a target laser.
What I'm trying to find out is what kind of laser can be used with gen 3 NV.
I'm guessing a standard red laser isn't wise right?
I've heard of invisible "IR" lasers never seen one (no pun intended).
I don't know if they are legal. I heard once they weren't.
Is there a target laser that can be used?
Thanks
OWL
~OWL~

Postby whdl » Sat May 24, 2008 7:06 pm

Here in the UK, IR Lasers are easily available & fully legal but their use with Gen 3 is usually 'deprecated' Confused (disapproved of) as they can fool some of the in-built safety systems & damage the tube.
what the hell are you talking about? IR lasers are designed for use with night vision systems! what do they "fool"? :roll:
whdl

Postby IHJ » Sun May 25, 2008 4:38 am

OWL - I've tried quite a few IR Lasers (for extra illumination purposes) now - at least half are near useless as they use a mesh diffuser which can give a really distracting 'moire' effect. Target Designator types wont have that problem, of course but there aren't that many 'commercially' available. The PEQ systems are the top dog but look at the prices (IF you live in the US). Here's another system that was available but is getting hard to find now... http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/laser_corsak16.htm
A friend has just sold his!

The main problem with Lasers and higher Gen NV is when they are used exactly as you propose - Target Designators (therefore a tiny spot beam always in the same position). One 'Bright Light Protection' system measures the total amount of light falling on the Focal lens & wont necessarily be triggered by the small (& very intense Laser spot) after a few nights use you could damage the tube :cry: (COULD not WILL but who wants to risk it?). Obviously 'dabbing' the unit off & on only as required might help...

I don't use Target Designators of any type (RedDot/Laser) & prefer to keep the shooting range down with a wider & more evenly illuminated scene. I'd use IR LEDs upto 100 yards (good even & clean beam) and a Dipol L3 90mW IR laser for longer range 'spotting' with my Add-On + Scope NVs. Have a look at some of the Eotech sighted rigs on here - they might suit your purpose better.
IHJ

bright source protection

Postby whdl » Sun May 25, 2008 9:57 am

A streetlight won`t activate the BSP either and can also damage the PC too, even with the A.B.C. dimming the image you have to be careful with any light source, lasers are just much more intense.
whdl

Postby wolf » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:41 am

Hello, I have a question: to use a laser with my NV, not while associating them, quite simply while fixing it on the gun, for example, thus, the laser does not pass by the NV.

Second point, the quality of these IR, i'm found one to 8 MW, which is its range?? will i could see the laser at 100 m, with my NV ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/G-P-850nm-Night-Vis ... m153.l1262

For information it's a rostov cyclop, excuse, it Russian, gen 20, an objective x2.5?.

excuse for the fault :oops:
wolf

Postby IHJ » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:55 am

Are you hoping to use the Laser (designator type) as an aid to Zeroing the NV Wolf?
There is an old-fashioned method where you use a cardboard box (Pizza boxes are ideal) with a cheap torch inside, set out at your chosen range, pierce a hole near the centre, switch the torch on & return to your gun...aim at the small 'point' of light :D
[If you don't see any shots landing on the box, move closer :D :D :D ]

For obvious reasons dont use an expensive torch.
IHJ

Postby wolf » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:24 am

You don't understand? it is a laser, it not passed by the NV, it'll be attch at the gun, that the laser is not in "contact" with the NV.
wolf

Postby IHJ » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:23 am

Hi Wolf, if the Laser (or any light source) is switched 'On' and the NV is 'On' then there is the potential for tube damage & a Gen 1 NV will be effectively 'On' for 8-10 minutes after you switch it off (tube still energized).
Just about any wavelength of light will effect an NV device but Lasers are so intense...

Perhaps if you describe the theoretical 8) use or scenario?
IHJ

Postby wolf » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Maybe?

It damage that anyone, other you, can explain if you have reason, because, in you bay, there's video with NV and laser and IR, in gen1 and gen2, so i don't think in damage for the NV.

IHJ, you don't now a member, of this forum, which have this assembly?
wolf

Postby IHJ » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:55 am

Wolf, it occurred to me that you might be wanting to use your NV unit to Spot with, then use your Gun & an aiming laser to actually shoot?

As to the G&P 850 Red Dot Laser, I'm sure it was 'Flex' on here who tried a couple (& had problems with them) drop him a PM he's always helpful.

I'm not a fan of these red dot type Lasers but I do use wide beam IR Lasers a lot as they allow the Scopes' Reticle to be used fully/normally.
IHJ

Postby wolf » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:31 am

mp :wink:
wolf

Postby IHJ » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:22 am

So... Dyslexia & French eh???
(HUMOUR, Wolf, HUMOUR :D :D :D )

:wink:
IHJ

Postby b_rogers » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:22 am

i have been using an older red dot laser with my second gen meyers dark invader mono scope i converted for rifle use.. turn on the laser and leave it on until till batteries are low and its barely lasing, or fab a conductive spacer to go in place of one of the batteries if its a multi cell unit...or insert a 20 k trim pot in line with power supply and turn it down as low as you need. i use mine just a tad brighter than the ir level..some lasers dont work well for this and the dot gets all out of whack, so your milage may vary..a laser level tool company near me makes a high power red unit with a adjustable level brightness and focus for about 200 bucks. local hog guys swear by em but you gotta fab a mount..

edit: i only use the laser for a quick second or two with the momentary pad, i never leave it on and no damage after a few hunts..

Brent
b_rogers

Next

Return to Multi Purpose Systems