Mini-14 to Day Scope

Discussion about Multi Purpose Night Vision Systems

Moderator: Michael

Mini-14 to Day Scope

Postby toy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:55 pm

I am thinking of attaching a Mini-14 to a day rifle scope using the universal mount.

I have read a lot of the posts and reviews of others doing this. Many of them recommend attaching to day scopes that have adjustable Parallax.

Most of my scopes do not have adjustable Parallax. Is this a problem? If you can't adjust the parallax, what problems arise?

Thanks,
toy

Postby fox204 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:02 pm

hi there,

it really depends on the scope, i have a Mk4 Leupold LRT 6.5-20x50 with side focus and it works fine with my gt-14, also works fine with my nightforce 8-36 nxs, also side focus, the weird thing is it also works great with my swarovski 3-12x50 habicht, with no parallax adjustment,

some scopes you expect to work great, are useless, and sometimes really cheap scopes work astonishingly well, best thing you can do is try and test on the model of scope your looking at and see if it works for you
fox204

Postby toy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi Fox204,

So if it does not work, what are the symptoms? Is the reticle out of focus with the target? Or is it that the scope is very sensitive to your eye position (i.e. parallax)?

Thanks,
toy

Postby IHJ » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:26 am

Toy - the 'symptoms' will be the same whatever Gen NV Add-On, (problem symptoms, that is) - there will be an inability to have the Reticle focused with/at the same time as the 'scene' viewed.
Add-Ons seem to cause issues with Depth of View, thus PX becomes more needed - a low Minimum Magnification scope will have less similar 'issues'.
Having gone thro' something like 4 scopes, I can tell you that Side Focus PX is the only way to go with Add-Ons & that 3-5 minimum magnification is the ideal.

With the right NV/Scope combination you will be able to identify Moths against tree bark at 40 metres (not bad, eh?).
IHJ

Re: Mini-14 to Day Scope

Postby amundl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:29 am

Hi!

I have now been testing with Zeiss V 2,5-10*50 (a model before lotutec), and it's super also without sidefocs.
Razorsharp image also on 10*, and works very well without ir.

My new model with lotutec is not performing vedy well.
Hard to get a good image, and hopeless ower 4* mag.

I have also testet the Leapers scope.
Works well, but does not beat the Zeiss!
amundl

Re: Mini-14 to Day Scope

Postby marc_pril » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:47 am

Good chance that the lotutec coating filters IR. The Schmidt Bender scopes also have a IR block coating and don't work well with nightvision.

Cheers,

Marc
marc_pril

Return to Multi Purpose Systems