Help needed selecting a scope

Discussion about Night Vision Weapon Sights

Moderator: Michael

Help needed selecting a scope

Postby Longshaor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi all,

First time poster. I've got a pair of Lee Enfields, a No 4 Mk I(T) and an L42 clone built on a No 4 Mk 2 body (basically a scoped L39) and I'm trying to find a NV scope that mounts the same way as the old AN/PVS-1 as that (and the British L1-series starlight scopes) are what the L5A1 night vision scope mount is designed to take. Is there anything else out that will mount right up?

Cheers!
Longshaor

Re: Help needed selecting a scope

Postby mrf2 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:13 am

The L42 mount is essentially a STANAG adapter (which is why they are so sought after). As you know an L1A1 (up to L1A7) IWS is the correct scope but anything that will attach to a STANAG base and has internal reticle adjustments should work, an AN/PVS-1, Zeiss Orion 80, Oldelft HV 5x80, etc... would "look about right" and mount up to your rifle. There are other more obscure scopes, but those should be the easiest to find. Watch British E-bay, occasionally an IWS will show up. Shipping will be a killer though.
mrf2

Re: Help needed selecting a scope

Postby Longshaor » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks, mrf2!

Actually, I had found an IWS in the UK, the first killer was the State Department Form 6 (import permit) filing fee and the final nail in the coffin for the deal was I couldn't find anyone in the UK who would fill out the export permit paperwork! The company who was selling the IWS said that was my problem and they didn't know of anyone they could refer me to.

I've also been finding that, while the PVS-2s & -2As seem to be relatively plentiful, the PVS-1s are almost impossible to find, so thanks for the tips on the other scopes!

Cheers!
Longshaor

Return to Weapon Sights