Changng Tubes

Discussion about Night Vision Weapon Sights

Moderator: Michael

Changng Tubes

Postby zion » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:05 pm

HI All it been a while.
I have a ATN NVM-14-3P Night Vision Monocular. The circuit board crapped out. One night I forgot and left it on an outside table. Next day I remembered it I found there had been a shower. When I turned it on it worked a few seconds flickered and quite. I tried a new bat but no joy. I found no voltage at the circuit board so I figured its the problem "I hope".
I really want a rifle scope for predator hunting since that the only way I use it.
I know nothing about service for these things or where to start. I'd like to get some suggestions on scope choice for a gen 3+ tube. Can I work on this my self? Should I send it to a service center?
Any comments and advice will be valued. I know better than to leave it outside that's why I want to mount it on my rifle so I wont forget again.
Thanks
Zion
zion

Re: Changng Tubes

Postby Phoenix » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:23 pm

I know nothing about night vision, but I do know that for sensitive electronics in general, if they get wet your best bet is to pull the battery as soon as you can, and then put the whole device into a container with dry rice, or another desiccant, to draw out all the moisture. In fact, it is possible that doing this could still make your monocular work....worth a shot anyway.
Phoenix

Postby zion » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:03 pm

It happened last year. I put it in a cabinet.
who is the best in night vision electronics at the forum?
I'd like to find out how to test the tube or get it tested.
Zion
zion

Postby camo304 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:50 am

Can you not just whip the tube out and stick 3volts on it, it should power up if ok, if working fine you gonna need a new C-board, If you do end up getting a dedicated nv scope ask for a weapons grade tube try Michael off here he should be able to sort you out.
camo304

Postby zion » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:32 am

camo304 wrote:Can you not just whip the tube out and stick 3volts on it, it should power up if ok,

I don't know but I don't wont to take a chance on damaging the tube. I"d rather send it some where to be tested. I also had a torch that shorted out as well. I guess it had condensation in it when I turned it on it burned a diode or transistor :shock:
zion
zion

Postby Dino1130 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:14 pm

This thread is good. It makes my head hurt, but still good. Will keep watching for awhile... :mrgreen:

"The ATN NVM14-3P Multi-Purpose Night Vision Monocular is smaller and lighter than the Mil-Spec PVS14 and is fully submersible to a depth of 66 feet (20 meters)."

Dude, you left it out in the rain and it crapped out ?? ATN says it is good to dive 20 meters with it !!! :roll: :mrgreen:

God I love ATN. If it was not for ATN I would lose a valuable source of entertainment. They are the wind in my sail. :mrgreen:
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby 45K40 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:58 pm

zion,

Open the device up to expose the circuitry. Get a large, sturdy, freezer zip-lock bag and put the device in it. Now go to one of those tire places that has a nitrogen filling apparatus for tires and have them inject some gas in the bag. Zip it tight and leave it in a reasonably cool room for a few days. Repeat this again and see if that helped. This always worked for my water-logged wristwatches,

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Return to Weapon Sights