Wilcox LAM problem

Discussion about Night Vision Weapon Sights

Moderator: Michael

Wilcox LAM problem

Postby Simplot85USMC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Hello,
My first post here so i hope this is the proper area. For starters i have a Wilcox LAM, gen 1 i believe its got the beamer flashlight and so smart laser. So its visible/IR for both. I have a mark 23 mount and iits of course then mounted on a mark 23. My issue is that now the laser is shutting off after a shot. I dont know why i hadnt thought of this but i am going to try attaching just the light and shooting it to see if its a connection to the mount , the mount itself or the laser. But any other ideas would be much appreciated. I was thinking maybe the on off lever on the mount is loose and so maybe shaking enough to turn it off under recoil? But if its the mount then i would think when i run just the light it will turn off to so i guess i will now for sure on that when i try it out right? If its the laser does anyone\ have any idea where to start or how to start with trouble shooting on it? Should i just enjoy the laser being on for one shot and having to turn it on again until that doesnt work then trouble shooting , if indeed it is a laser problem? I wont be able to shoot until friday so any ideas as to what to look for until then is appreciated so i have a few things to look over while firing too. Anyways to tell if something is wrong with the mount?
To answer simple questions, the battery compartment on the laser appears to be full in place and tight. not stripped out. Batteries of course are charged and seem to not move even with cap off. I did put apiece of foam behind the connection that touches the batteries just to ensure it wasnt moving or flexing under recoil and shutting the laser off. Any other simple fix ideas? If pics are needed i can take them though i dont think initially they would really be of any help. Thanks guys and i hope we can get this hickup solved.

Tyler
Simplot85USMC

Re: Wilcox LAM problem

Postby 45K40 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Simplot85USMC,

Your symptom sometimes happens with voltage-regulated LED flashlights. The recoil causes the batt(s) to shift rearward, breaking the circuit, causing the regulator to shut off. Stretching the contacts so there is more force on the batt(s) usually works. You could also try stuffing a wad of aluminum foil on the negative end contact and bust a few caps to see if that stops the symptom. If it does solve it, you need a better contact spring. .45 ACP is a real rocker, maybe this LAM has had a lotta rounds through it. How exactly is the compartment laid out- north to south; or east to west of the laser end? What kind of contacts are used?

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Postby Simplot85USMC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Simplot85USMC

Postby Simplot85USMC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:31 pm

I see my text didnt show up. Ok, ill try that foil and see if it works too. It is north to south. The main contact is shaped like a V with wings on its sides. It is drawn on the pic. Thanks for the help so far.

Tyler
Simplot85USMC

Postby Simplot85USMC » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Ok i went and tried it. I shot it with the laser off and flashlight on, so it is definitely not the mount but something with the laser. I then tried putting some foil between batteries and there connectors to ensure a connection even under recoil. If it was in there good enough then it did not help and it still shut off. Im thinking of removing the plate that surrounds the battery compartment is this advised? I see no real other options and who know there maybe something that is odvious oonce im in there. Any other ideas?
Simplot85USMC

Return to Weapon Sights