PARALLAX

Discussion about Night Vision Weapon Sights

Moderator: Michael

PARALLAX

Postby 291shadow » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:04 pm

My Aquila 6x has an obvious parallax problem that is easily visible when moving the eye or camera from side to side.
This makes accurate shot placement very challenging. My other night scopes do not have a parallax problem.
Could anyone tell me what it is that causes parallax in the Aquilla ? Is it the fore and aft position of the tube, the reticle or the eyepiece or is it an off center position of one of the components or what ?

Does anyone have a schematic of the lens positions in an Aquilla, Raptor, Nighthawk, or D760 ?

Thanks much for your thoughts.

Bob
291shadow

Re: PARALLAX

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Parallax error in NV scopes is usually caused by incorrect tube placement. The tube is probably too far away from or too close to the reticle.

But I am not familiar with that scope, so can't advise you beyond that.

Regards
David
cj7hawk

Postby 291shadow » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:50 pm

thanks for the input David

bob
291shadow

Postby 291shadow » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:12 am

I compared three generation 3 night scopes for parallax using the video camera and moving it left or right behind the eyepiece. The D760 shows little or no movement of the reticle against the 30 inch target at 100 yds. The ATN scope shows little reticle movement. The Aquila ( sometimes spelled Aquilla) 6X shows lots of movement of the aiming dot against the background. The videos are posted on photobucket.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg40/291shadow/Parallax%20in%20NIGHTSCOPES/?action=view&current=20120203Parallaxexamples.mp4

In case anyone is wondering why his night scope accuracy is not as good as day scopes, this could be an issue.
(The ATN scope has it's own problem in that changing the windage also results in a change in elevation due to the reticle housing resting on silicone rubbers.But that may be fixable with set screws...to be determined ).

Bob
291shadow

Postby Dino1130 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:46 am

291shadow wrote:I compared three generation 3 night scopes for parallax using the video camera and moving it left or right behind the eyepiece. The D760 shows little or no movement of the reticle against the 30 inch target at 100 yds. The ATN scope shows little reticle movement. The Aquila ( sometimes spelled Aquilla) 6X shows lots of movement of the aiming dot against the background. The videos are posted on photobucket.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg40/291shadow/Parallax%20in%20NIGHTSCOPES/?action=view&current=20120203Parallaxexamples.mp4

In case anyone is wondering why his night scope accuracy is not as good as day scopes, this could be an issue.
(The ATN scope has it's own problem in that changing the windage also results in a change in elevation due to the reticle housing resting on silicone rubbers.But that may be fixable with set screws...to be determined ).

Bob

Bob, nice video ! Never peered in a Aquila but I wonder if it uses shims to adjust the tube placement as David pointed out. Might be as simple as adding or removing some. Was the scope setup by the factory or did someone else install the tube ?
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby 291shadow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks Dino
The scope was put together, not at the factory, but by a dealer.
I have not had it apart, because I have no specs and am told it takes special tools to take it apart and reassemble it.
I would like to get some sort of manual or photos of the innards before taking it apart.

thanks again

bob
291shadow

Postby marc_pril » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:17 pm

If you got it from a dealer he is the one that should correct this issue! Before taking it apart try claiming a repair from the dealer!
marc_pril

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Great video - it really was nicely made and highlights the issue perfectly.

Yes, I do suspect it is a shimming issue - Take it back to the dealer and ask them to correct it. If they cannot, then it's grounds for a refund or should be completely replaced as faulty.

From the video, it looked like the tube was too close to the eyepiece.

Regards
David
cj7hawk

Postby 291shadow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Your input is appreciated. I will take this up with the dealer.
Bob
291shadow

Postby camo304 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 am

The tube locates on pins inside the cradle, locks in place via one locking ring at the front and the cradle loctes on pins inside the body, if the cradle locking ring at the rear is not tight you will be able to move the cradle back and forth by pulling/pushing on the diaopter this will move your tube around. If the front locking ring is not tight you can tell via taking off the battery housing 4mm hex key there you will see the tube it should move if pushed with your finger.
camo304

Postby 291shadow » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Could you please explain to this novice:

"move the cradle back and forth by pulling/pushing on the diaopter"

what do you mean by the diaopter and what is it ?

thanks again for the help

bob
291shadow

Postby camo304 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:44 pm

The piece at the rear that you use to focus the Ret, its all connected to the cradle
camo304

Postby 291shadow » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:57 pm

OK
The eyepiece on the rear, that focuses the reticle, wobbled up and down. That gave me two groups when shooting, one up and one down. Not knowing what to do with this, I put a dab of epoxy putty on the edges of the eyepiece to stabilize it UP so I could get consistant groups.
That solved the two group issue but did not fix the parallax issue ( which as you said is all part of the same problem.

So to answer your question, yes moving the eyepiece around, did move the reticle.
The next question is how to tighten the locking rings.
Do you have a schematic or manual on how to do this?

bob
shadow@midcoast.com
291shadow

Postby camo304 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:18 am

Sounds like the locking ring that holds the cradle is loose,
1=Take off the rubber eye-cup, by pressing and twist
2=Small locking ring which sits outside the diaopter lens 34mm i think as 2 slots in it.
3= Large locking ring also 2 slots in the middle abd 3 on the outside.
4=Remove battery housing 4mm hex key
5= shine a torch light down the side of the scope body and diaopter lens you will see the cradle locking ring as number 2, ring with 2 slots
6= Tool needed is it sits about 40mm deep turn clock-wise to tighte. Tool OD47.6mm ID44.mm lugs=2mm Lenght by 1.5mm depth
7= Job done :) same if you want to change your tube

End of the day get it back to the Dealer it's there problem to sort out, if you go into it you are going to void your warranty
camo304

Postby Robert » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:02 am

if its the same as d480 or 760 simpley turn the cross hair the littletube has a slot in it move one way or the other and the cross hair will not move from side to side or up and down removing aiming errors
Robert

Next

Return to Weapon Sights