An odd AN/PVS-2 tube

Discussion about Night Vision Weapon Sights

Moderator: Michael

An odd AN/PVS-2 tube

Postby mrf2 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:26 pm

I recently got a pretty good deal on an AN/PVS-2 that was in non-working condition that I was able to fix (broken oscillator contact spring, bypassed for now while I look for the right part/make one). The tube that was in the sight is odd though, it does not have a reticle (AN/TVS-2 tube?). Looking over my notes I have information that the reticle on the AN/PVS-2 is bonded or etched on the faceplate of the tube, is there any way to add a reticle to this tube?

Thanks!
mrf2

Re: An odd AN/PVS-2 tube

Postby efahrenholz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:39 pm

mrf2 wrote:I recently got a pretty good deal on an AN/PVS-2 that was in non-working condition that I was able to fix (broken oscillator contact spring, bypassed for now while I look for the right part/make one). The tube that was in the sight is odd though, it does not have a reticle (AN/TVS-2 tube?). Looking over my notes I have information that the reticle on the AN/PVS-2 is bonded or etched on the faceplate of the tube, is there any way to add a reticle to this tube?

Thanks!

You most definitely can. Try transparency film and print a reticle on it using a high DPI laser printer or inkjet. To apply it, I'd recommend getting a vinyl applicator kit that comes with the liquid spray, wedge and ect.

The tube you have is a universal type of cascade. The pvs-2 and tvs-2 used the same tube. There were tubes made by varo (American) and EEV (british). The ones made by EEV come in designations such as p8070hp, p8079 and p8079fp.
efahrenholz

Postby b_rogers » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:51 am

Reticles are easy. Go to surplus shed dot com and grab a glass reticle, use a little glue to hold it up against the phosphor screen and you are done.

http://www.downtowndogz.com
b_rogers

Postby mugur » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:59 am

hi b_rogers.
What model is this reticle you posted ?
Quality only hurts once!
mugur

Postby mrf2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:15 am

Thank you for the pointers! I would like to put a reticle very much like the orginal AN/PVS-2 type on my tube. Does anyone know if I could take the reticle off a dead tube? I have heard they are etched into the faceplate, but since the real face plate of the tube is an FO bundle I would think that a glass plate would have been attached to the front of the FO bundle, thoughts?

efahrenholz-
You are correct, I pulled my tube out and it is a Varo tube. I think it may have been re-potted, as the markings on the boot have been changed (I took a few pictures) but it seems to work fairly well. My EEV PH tube (not sure if it is an HP, it's still in the L1A7 IWS sight) blows this tube away, but the Varo tube it holds its own against the Zeiss Orion 80.
mrf2

Postby efahrenholz » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:01 pm

mrf2 wrote:Thank you for the pointers! I would like to put a reticle very much like the orginal AN/PVS-2 type on my tube. Does anyone know if I could take the reticle off a dead tube? I have heard they are etched into the faceplate, but since the real face plate of the tube is an FO bundle I would think that a glass plate would have been attached to the front of the FO bundle, thoughts?

efahrenholz-
You are correct, I pulled my tube out and it is a Varo tube. I think it may have been re-potted, as the markings on the boot have been changed (I took a few pictures) but it seems to work fairly well. My EEV PH tube (not sure if it is an HP, it's still in the L1A7 IWS sight) blows this tube away, but the Varo tube it holds its own against the Zeiss Orion 80.

All the cascade tubes made for the pvs-2 are comparatively the same performance. The EEV tubes are almost exactly the same as the American Varo tubes. The only major difference is the gain you see on the p8079hp. It has significantly more brightness and a cleaner signal but it's only something a wise night vision hobbyist would notice. It's nothing out of the ballpark. I compared my NOS p8079hp to an American tube that has seen service and it does appear brighter and sharper at the center, but the casual user wouldn't really notice the resolution or signal difference. Probably the apparent brightness though. Overall, any cascaded intensifier is in my opinion, the best bang for the buck.
efahrenholz

Postby mrf2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:38 pm

I was able to get my question anwsered. The reticle is bonded on the screen of the last tube in the stack (I don't know why I thought the front?). It can be added to the tube but the tubes have to be removed from the boot to do so. And you have to have the reticle. Anyone have a dead PVS-2 tube they want to sell?
mrf2

Postby efahrenholz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:11 pm

mrf2 wrote:I was able to get my question anwsered. The reticle is bonded on the screen of the last tube in the stack (I don't know why I thought the front?). It can be added to the tube but the tubes have to be removed from the boot to do so. And you have to have the reticle. Anyone have a dead PVS-2 tube they want to sell?

I'm not sure you'll want to tear apart your tube just for a reticle, I'd recommend just getting a replacement that you can glue on.
efahrenholz

Postby mrf2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:32 pm

That was actuly the plan, there is a company that can do this by bonding the reticle from the window at the rear of the boot but they only have the Israeli type, I'd like the US "T" type since it fits with the scope and collection better. I don't plan on tearing apart a 30-40 year old tube!
mrf2

Postby b_rogers » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:51 pm

mugur wrote:hi b_rogers.
What model is this reticle you posted ?

A oddball I found..I don't remember exactly. From a military scope IIRC.

You don't have to go tearing into the intensifier, just remove the ocular and lay it on the tubes viewing screen and glue it. A ten minute job including cleaning everything with alcohol and dusting.

I made a little ring from a camera lens adapter ring and glued the reticle to that. The ring sits on the plastic boot of the tube and allowed me to glue it without risking getting epoxy on the phosphor screen, which is the same OD as the reticle.
b_rogers

Postby mugur » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:47 am

Hi, can you tell me wich reticle is that?
i cant find it on surplusshed :)
Quality only hurts once!
mugur

Postby b_rogers » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:38 pm

mugur wrote:Hi, can you tell me wich reticle is that?
i cant find it on surplusshed :)

Sorry, I bought the last one.. :( Forever gone.

I have one example of most of the styles they have, and the best overall is:

http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m3336.html

Very fine..Be sure and add on the "order comments" as them to visually make sure there aren't any breaks in the crosshairs. I received a few that had chunks missing. They replaced them no questions and even sent me a few extra but it still was annoying. The nick in the bottom is for a fiber optic or LED to light em up if you are a crafty fellow.

Edmunds optics also has a few reticles, check them out.
b_rogers

Postby mugur » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:43 pm

The exact one you said, i already have 2 of them, along with other 3-4 reticles :)
And i have fiber optics as well.
Quality only hurts once!
mugur

Postby OCP » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:14 am

How were you guys able to get the reticle to focus at the same time as the object being looked at was? I bought a few reticles from Surplus Shed to try out in a PVS-2 with non-reticle TVS-2 tubes. I could not get them to focus in sync with the object being viewed, like the original bonded on reticle will. I tried them at the front of the tube and the back. I tried the reticles mounted both ways, as most have different thicknesses and the pattern is etched on one side. Mounting them on the front of the tube won't work because of the very limited focal length of the cat obj lens and that front of the tube (PC ?) has to almost touch the exit or rear lens (not sure of the correct term) to focus on the objects being viewed. Mounting them on the rear of the tube works better, but will still not allow the focus to synch on both the reticle and object being viewed. I was looking at objects about 100 meters away.

The PVS-2 that I was using focuses fine with tubes that have original bonded on reticles and has the original obj lens and eye piece assy. AFAIK, the original bonded on reticles are very thin like 0.5mm to 1mm. The thinnest one I found @ Surplus Shed that I could use was 2mm thick. Not sure if I'm missing something simple here. I did try ink and paint to make my own reticle on the back of the tube and that works fine focus wise. It's a bit crude and the paint will flake off.

Does anyone know if the original late 1960s thru 1970s PVS-2 reticles were bonded on with Balsam or a UV type optical glue? I know some of them have glue failure that leaves ugly brownish/yellowish blotches like water stains. Does anyone know if there is a florescent type paint that will get brighter if illuminated from the back side? I tried using glow in the dark paint but it will not glow, as I guess the tube does not produce any UV light. That makes sense as the very early PVS-1 scopes used a bead type reticle marked with luminous paint. It used a small light bulb to charge the reticle, with the tube turned off. The later PVS-1 used a solid black reticle that is much easier to see than the thinner PVS-2 one.

I did get a reticle like the one pictured with the notch. I'm not sure if the notch is to illuminate the reticle. If you look at the notch, it's frosted just the same as the rest of the edge is. You would think that the notch would have to be polished to let light pass thru. I did try shining a light from the side with masking tape to stop light leakage and couldn't get it to illuminate the reticle. To me it looks like the notch is for locating the reticle. I did get one with a beveled edge that has red paint on the beveled edge and reticle. That one will illuminate red, if a light is shined on the edge of it.
OCP

Postby b_rogers » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:15 am

Hmm, the reticle should be in focus..Can you get it crisp by adjusting the diopter? I have two scopes with reticles like this, a mx9916 and the 9644. Both are in focus as long as the diopter is remotely close to focused.
b_rogers

Next

Return to Weapon Sights