Zeiss Orion 80 repair

Discussion about Night Vision Weapon Sights

Moderator: Michael

Zeiss Orion 80 repair

Postby Sturm44 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Hey all, I have a zeiss orion 80 that is having some issues. When powering up the unit, everything seems to work as it should. Clear image, bright aiming dots, etc. However after a couple of seconds, the image slowly fades to black. Switching the unit on and off has no immediate effect, however if you let it sit for several hours, it will once again temporarily work. So my questions are:

Because I temporarily get a clear image, are my tubes ok?
I'm guessing it's the power supply inside the main tube housing(that contains the 1121 and 1134 tubes) has gone bad. Is there anyone that repairs these older tubes, or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks!
Sturm44

Re: Zeiss Orion 80 repair

Postby Tracer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:23 pm

I just found your post. I have the same scope and it just died a few weeks ago while stargazing. Do you know if the tube is extracted through the eyepiece end or does one have to remove all the internals at the occular lens end?

Because the image stopped at the same time as the high pitched whine from the power supply did, I suspect my tube has died. Where as yours can still provide an image (albeit briefly) on initial start up I would suspect a power supply issue (dried out caps maybe). I don't know who fixes them. I'm curious enough to want to open mine up when I get the tube out and check things out.
Tracer

Postby Sturm44 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:43 am

Sorry for the late reply bud, I sort of gave up hope of finding help on this forum so I stopped following my post. I'm certainly no electrical whiz, but from it sounds like, your issue is also most likely in the tube somewhere as well. When you turn the on/off knob, your shutter is raised a bit which engages a microswitch that allows current to flow from your batteries directly to the tube. Assuming the batteries/switch is good, then I'm 99% sure your problem is also inside the tube.

As for disassembly
Obviously remove all batteries and make sure it's been unpowered for a bit. if your tube is dead, this probably doesn't matter, but I'd still do it to be safe. To extract the tube, you'll undo the bolts holding the two halves of the body together and then separating them. There are no connections here, so just slowly remove the top. If you can help it, do NOT turn any gears throughout the disassembly process, as if you do, your scope will be out of focus until you correct it. Set aside the top half with the lens, you won't need to mess with it.

Once that's off, you'll be presented with the circuit board/shutter assembly. You'll need to remove the the focus knob, on/off shutter knob and brightness knob before lifting up and out the circuit board/shutter assembly. Below the shutter/circuit board is the Outer tube containing your cascading tubes and presumably the power supply that's giving me/you so much trouble. The tube is in no way attached to anything, and will simply slide out, so be careful.

I'm hesitant to crack open the tube as it's sealed. However if you decide top open it up, I would really appreciate you posting a pic if you could.

Thanks, and good luck!
Sturm44

Postby Tracer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:27 am

A-ha.. so I was halfway to successfully extracting the tube. I kind of wondered if the power knob would need to be removed if the shutter assembly had to come off to get at the tube.

I will for sure take photos. I know how helpful tutorials can be as they have helped me in the past, if not for just curiosity sake.
Tracer

Return to Weapon Sights