AN/PVS/5: blurry image

Discussion about Night Vision Goggles and Night Vision Binoculars / Monoculars

Moderator: Michael

AN/PVS/5: blurry image

Postby rockafellas » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:29 pm

OK, guys I am calling the combined knowledge of the SME's here to hopefully help me sold my issue;

I had a working set of AN/PVS5's; I took the tube/housing assembly apart and remounted both mono tubes in parallel using a DYI bridge mount into a binocular like setup powered by a DYI CR123 external battery pack.

At first I used only one CR123 (equivalent to the 2x AA that used to power the PVS5s); the second tube was dimmer than the first, the image was blurry and the IR illuminator was not very bright. Given that the CR123 at 100ohm load will drop the battery voltage to 2 volts ad a 900mah current drain will drop the battery voltage to 1.8 volts I figured that the single CR123 was not enough, so I added another CR123 in series.

Now the brightness seems to have been restored but the picture is still quite blurry even after adjusting the interpupilary focus. I decided to check the individual tubes by closing one eye and looking though each tube while adjusting the interpuliray focus until I get a clear image through each tube. (I have adjusted the distance between the tubes so that I can see only one circle with both eyes open, not a figure 8) So now each tube individually is clear and crisp, but when I look through both tubes with both eyes the image become blurry again. I have tried adjusting the distance between my eyes and the eyepieces, I have tilting the goggles up and down slightly to no avail. The closest I get to a clear image with both eyes open is by tilting the goggles up slightly, but this also cuases the image to belike a sideways almond shape with large black empty spaces at the top and bottom instead of the nice round shape that it should normally be.

Would really appreciate the help guys. Thanks in advance
rockafellas

Re: AN/PVS/5: blurry image

Postby marc_pril » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:51 pm

It sounds like me that your collimation between both channels is of. PVS9's solve this with a off centre eyepiece that must be rotated untill both images are overlayd by you brain (collimated). I'm not familiair how this is solved in the PVS5's.

Regards,

Marc
marc_pril

Re: AN/PVS/5: blurry image

Postby rockafellas » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:48 am

Ok, here is the latest update on my PVS-5 blurry image issue.....I basically had to move the two tube as close together as they can go, the i angled the right tube out drastically so that now one is looking straight ahead and the other is quite noticeably angled out, which is great image-wise (functionality) but the unit itself, aethetically speaking, looks totally fucked up and would give anyone with a mild case of OCD a heart attack! Any suggestions?
rockafellas

Return to Goggles & Binoculars