Help separateing a AN/PVS-5 from original houseing

Discussion about Night Vision Goggles and Night Vision Binoculars / Monoculars

Moderator: Michael

Help separateing a AN/PVS-5 from original houseing

Postby rockafellas » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:55 am

I recently picked up an AN/PVS-5 with the intention of pulling them from their original bulky housing into two monoculars which I intend to mount in parallel using an N-Vision PVS-15 dual bridge mount and powering them with an ANVIS-9 LPBP.

I am not very technically savvy but I was wondering if anyone here could help me by telling me what I need to do to remove the tubes from their housing, while keeping the tubes and wire intact. I tried looking up exploded diagrams etc. or any step by step how to guides online with no luck.

Thanks in advance guys.
rockafellas

Re: Help separateing a AN/PVS-5 from original houseing

Postby wellyot » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:26 pm

i think the way is to press them out with a press as they are stuck in . i seem to remember that the wires end up broke but there should be enough left to solder a new bit on , i have not heard of a better way but you could dremel the aloy housing apart - but someone else might know more about if this is a good method than i do
wellyot

Postby 45K40 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:27 pm

Rockafellas,

Dremel is the safe way. Cover output screen and fiber optic surfaces with lens tissue and tape; especially at the objective end. Cut 2 longitudal shallow grooves 180 degress apart on shell. At eyepiece end, use fine-tooth hacksaw to join across cuts (down to 1/8" from screen). Do same at objective end. Use wide blade screw driver, hammer, and chisel to crack shallow grooves and peel shell apart. To preserve wiring at the entrance to the shell (epoxyied in), use a heavy duty aircraft-grade paint and epoxy remover (Home Depot sells "Jasco") to soften the epoxy. Keep hammering to a minimum to avoid damage to tube glass parts.

See here for cutaway ref:
http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/PVS5Csectionb.jpg

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Postby rockafellas » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:47 am

Hey guys thanks for your reply. Just to clarify; I have this...

http://user1426210.sites.myregisteredsi ... g/i29.html

and I want to turn it into this...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=AN+PVS+5 ... XYttFHM%3A

So what I need to do first is get the monoculars separated from that big bulky face mask/headpiece so that I can reattach them with a more modern dual bridge mount. (I need to get it to the point it is in the cut-away with out the 'cut away' part and while leaving all the wiring intact.

Just wanted to clarify that what 45K40 was describing was how to do that and not how to break apart the actual monoculars themselves to get at the tubes inside?

Thanks guys. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
rockafellas

Postby rockafellas » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:53 am

Come on guys, I really need your expertize. Thanks in advance!
rockafellas

Postby wellyot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:25 am

looking at what you want to do , i dont think you need to pull the tubes out as the binocular adaptor you want to use clamps on to each whole tube and lens assembly unit - seems like you will just need to dismantle the pvs5 and you might need to unsolder the wires where they go to the body then the 2 tube and lens assemblies will just fit into your new binocular adaptor - could be a nice unit when you get it done
wellyot

Postby rockafellas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:55 am

YES! That is exactly what I am hoping someone could give me directions on. "how do I take the PVS 5 units off the head strap/face mask while keeping it intact?"

Was hoping for a walk through from the knowledgeable folks here. Even though this is a super common mod for the PVS5's I cant seem to find any info out there for how this is actually done or any exploded view technical diagrams of the PVS5's.

Thanks so much in advance.

wellyot wrote:looking at what you want to do , i dont think you need to pull the tubes out as the binocular adaptor you want to use clamps on to each whole tube and lens assembly unit - seems like you will just need to dismantle the pvs5 and you might need to unsolder the wires where they go to the body then the 2 tube and lens assemblies will just fit into your new binocular adaptor - could be a nice unit when you get it done
rockafellas

Postby 45K40 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Now that we know your intent, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7326

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Postby rockafellas » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Probly a dumb question but the MX9166 is the same as a PVS-5a?

45K40 wrote:Now that we know your intent, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7326

45K40
rockafellas

Postby wellyot » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:27 am

the mx9916 are the actual intensifier tubes (inside each aluminium housing ) and the pvs5 is the whole goggle assembly
wellyot

Postby rockafellas » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:39 am

So it seems easy enough to removed the mask/shell and the metal hanger but there is the issue of the wires;

What's the best way to cut the wires and be able to know what goes to what and so that it can be required to the battery pack. Also, what do I need to do so that I won't lose the IR functionality?

Can this plug just simply be unplugged?

Thanks for you help guys but I really have no clue what I am doing here.
rockafellas

Postby rockafellas » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:24 am

Ok thanks a lot guys! I managed to get someone to really explain it to me I will post the link here for anyone else looking to do this mod;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSt_cUbND-s
rockafellas

Postby mrf2 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:58 am

If you want a less DYI solution, you should located a COBB mount. It adapts the AN/PVS-5 to an ANVIS mount. They are a little hard to find now but they are out there (ebay, etc...). A relevant thread: https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=397605
mrf2

Postby rockafellas » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:38 pm

hey guys; the project is coming along great, thanks to you guys.

Could I ask anyone here who may know; can anyone please tell me the exact voltage output of an ANVIS 6/9 LPBP and maximum current draw of the Litton AN/PVS5a?
rockafellas

Postby mr.clay » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:48 am

Just completed the exact thing you are attempting. Wasn't very difficult. I used a PVS-18 mount though. If you have any additional questions I would be happy to answer them.
mr.clay

Next

Return to Goggles & Binoculars