PNV 57e battery help please!

Discussion about Night Vision Goggles and Night Vision Binoculars / Monoculars

Moderator: Michael

PNV 57e battery help please!

Postby c0de » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Well I recently acquired a PNV 57e. But I dont like how I have to plug it in to a car, or a jumper box to use them. I also saw this video that was pretty interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YfXSnczDjc. I commented on the vid to get more info but with no luck.

So my question is, how simple would it be to just buy a battery pack and a on/off switch on ebay, cut the transformer and all the wires off, and just connect them? Would it be possible? I would really like to mount this on a helmet but im kinda stuck right now. Any suggestions? I heard that people just bought a 9v battery and connected it on there but I dont know about that one.

help please!
c0de

Re: PNV 57e battery help please!

Postby dukeluca86 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:56 am

Gen1 nv have power supply generated by a transformer, powered by batteries, and driven by a control circuit, so NO you can't cut the transformer away, but YES you can remove the pack and put new batteries, try to know what's the voltage of the original cells and find something siilar.
If the transformer/driver is burned out, you can find another one, you can look on internet auction site for spares, you need about several kV, usually gen1 single stage intensifier need from 10.000 to 15.000 volts to operate properly, higher tension mean higher brightness, but also shorten the tube life, very high voltage can generate Xray inside the tube, and is not so healty to aim the beam straight into your brain, so don't use too high voltage.
dukeluca86

Postby kingsix » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 pm

I had much luck running my PNV-57E off a 9V battery. I used to run them with the long power cord, but I got bored one day and traced the wire to the helmet transformer and replaced it.

kingsix

Postby NVOiche » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:04 pm

I thought those would run from a 12-24V supply since they used them with a cigarette type socket in military vehicles.
Maybe bet rid of that big converter and use a simple 3V to 16KV module, then you can add a much simpler battery supply.
NVOiche

Return to Goggles & Binoculars