can I leave the states with a gen 3?

General discussion about Daytime Optics.

Moderator: Michael

can I leave the states with a gen 3?

Postby talos4 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:15 pm

I have a PVS-14 Gen 3 monocular and I want to take it fishing with me when I go to the Caribbean. I have no intention of violating any laws but I really would like to have this for night time fishing etc. I would be flying to and from.
talos4

Re: can I leave the states with a gen 3?

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:15 am

Hi,

No you cant unfortunately, leaving the US will definately violate ITAR. You may find even thinking of it is against ITAR also :roll: :wink:

Regards,

Dave.
Dave

Postby efahrenholz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:40 am

Post removed by moderator
efahrenholz

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:41 pm

There is no "technically" about a law. Just because you may not get caught or do not know about it (which at this point you actually do :) ), is not an excuse. efahrenholz, consider this a warning. It is against the law to export or remove an ITAR controlled item from US without appropriate license. Period, no excuse, no extenuating circumstances.
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Postby efahrenholz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:32 am

Michael wrote:There is no "technically" about a law. Just because you may not get caught or do not know about it (which at this point you actually do :) ), is not an excuse. efahrenholz, consider this a warning. It is against the law to export or remove an ITAR controlled item from US without appropriate license. Period, no excuse, no extenuating circumstances.

I'm not saying that anyone should attempt to remove a controlled item here, i'm just saying they will request to see some paperwork or you will have to present a license if they determined you had something of interest to them. In the event as i've seen that some people brought something without paperwork they will either decide to hold you and the stuff you have or give you a verbal warning. I personally suggest not to attempt to walk through customs with military grade equipment unless you are with a military unit (as was always the case for me.) My apologies for giving out false advice here, I meant no intervention to persuade anyone to break the law. Everyone is at their own will to do as they wish, but do NOT break the law intentionally.

Michael, would you happen to know of any way a non government employee would be able to acquire a license for any type of ITAR related gear...more specifically--night vision equipment? I mean, if it's your possession, it should be fairly simple I would imagine?
efahrenholz

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:13 am

efahrenholz wrote:Michael, would you happen to know of any way a non government employee would be able to acquire a license for any type of ITAR related gear...more specifically--night vision equipment? I mean, if it's your possession, it should be fairly simple I would imagine?

Basically the answer is no. I have heard of a temporary license for product that you plan to bring back, but have not seen the actual paperwork or know anyone who actually got one.
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion