getting logged out

General discussion about Daytime Optics.

Moderator: Michael

Re: getting logged out

Postby saturnsc2 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:42 am

well it happens all the time. even when i first turn the computer on & connect to the internet. no difference in what i do, same results...

like i said all this happened then the forums were re-done to the new format?
saturnsc2

Postby IHJ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Sounds a bit like this problem...
Overview

* So, you've made a great mod and it works fine. You release it and someone comes back saying "When I clicked on the xyz link it logged me out... why did this happen?" - and there's a simple answer.
* When you click on a link to another page in phpBB, it needs to keep track of who you are, whether you're logged in, etc. It does this this using sessions, each user has a unique session id (SID). This is then sent back to the user usually to be stored as a cookie.
o The append_sid() function works wonders with the session ID and makes sure that those users unfortunate enough to not have working cookies (yes, it has happened to me... Sad ) can still stay logged in. Instead of storing a cookie, it adds the session ID as a GET variable with an url (ie xyz.php?sid=c0b8c3bd254eb8258176d7cfb94dcb9f). Without this, phpBB does a security check and logs you out.

Maybe?
IHJ

Postby Dino1130 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:56 pm

I have switched over to Firefox as well. Using MSN it would log me on automatic. With Firefox I now have to manually log in every time I use the site. I don't know what your issue is but I also can not replicate your problem. My advice is to chill a little and give the site owners some time to sort out any problems. It is new to all of us and we need to be patient.

Just be respectful because it is getting rid of a major problem (the spammers). I am sure no one is intentionally trying to cause you a problem. keep that in mind ! :D
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby saturnsc2 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Dino1130 wrote:I have switched over to Firefox as well. Using MSN it would log me on automatic. With Firefox I now have to manually log in every time I use the site. I don't know what your issue is but I also can not replicate your problem. My advice is to chill a little and give the site owners some time to sort out any problems. It is new to all of us and we need to be patient.

Just be respectful because it is getting rid of a major problem (the spammers). I am sure no one is intentionally trying to cause you a problem. keep that in mind ! :D

ya i'll hang low for a while as ya try to fin this.
saturnsc2

Postby IHJ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:17 am

So...you need to be sure that Cookies are Enabled in your Web browser, Saturnsc
IHJ

Postby saturnsc2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:04 am

IHJ wrote:So...you need to be sure that Cookies are Enabled in your Web browser, Saturnsc

my browser was set to medium high, so i turned it all the way down to accept all cookies & i still got logged out. no difference...
saturnsc2

Postby saturnsc2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:11 am

i just made a discovery & i can't believe i didn't think of this before. when i view this website through internet explorer i don't get logged out. only on the aol browser i do. the new forums don't like aol....
saturnsc2

Postby IHJ » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:56 am

Ah! a result, good.

No, there's a lot of evidence pointing to AOL being a steaming pile of s...

somebody at the door, must dash

:)
IHJ

Postby saturnsc2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:50 am

IHJ wrote:Ah! a result, good.

No, there's a lot of evidence pointing to AOL being a steaming pile of s...

somebody at the door, must dash

:)

aol always freezes up on me. it's terrible nowadays. how the mighty have fallen...
saturnsc2

Postby Dino1130 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Glad you found the culprit. I had AOL many many years ago. In the US they were like the mafia (once you are in you're in for life). It damn near took an act of congress for me to cancel my account. I finally had to cancel my credit card that the account was billed to so an end could be put to them. I will never EVER do business with AOL again ! They intentionally made it so hard to cancel that many just gave up. It turned off many here in the US and hence the downfall of the once mighty. I was an AOL member way back when they charged by the hour for internet use. I may be giving my age away here LOL.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby saturnsc2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:32 pm

well i still used aol with the old site with no problem. there's still something wrong, but who cares. i'll just view this site through internet explorer then...
saturnsc2

Previous

Return to General Discussion