Eotech Holosight 552

General discussion about Daytime Optics.

Moderator: Michael

Eotech Holosight 552

Postby mhe » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:50 am

Michael? Are you there? ;)

Since I know that the US have some pretty tight restrictions when it comes to export of optic devices, I'm curious whether it is possible to order a Eotech 552 as an austrian citizen. Since it is legal here to own every kind of daytime weapon sight as long as it's not a scope with really crosing crosshairs (geneva convention etc...), it would not be a problem on our side.
What's the US policy on exporting red dot and holographic sights? :)
I'm especially interested in the Eotech 552 since it takes a kind of battery which is easily available and it is a nice addition for any NVD I will get in the future. :D
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far the universe is winning...
mhe

Postby mhe » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:06 am

Umm... hello? Anyone?

Perhaps u got something wrong, I don't use any real weapons, I'm just another airsoft player, so the use of a Holosight is perfectly legal pretty much anywhere (since airsoft guns are not classified as weapons except for countries like the UK or germany, where UK law states, that it's just a weapon if it's energy exceeds 1J (328fps with 0.2g BBs) and in germany only aiming devices which cast any kind of ray onto the target are illegal (flashlights, lasers)).

So, I'm considering a pair of Eotechs 552 (one for me, one for a friend), but since I hate resorting to ebay (I want quality of service nonetheless), I'm kindly asking for Michael to tell me, whether there are any export restrictions for devices classified as weapon accessoires.

Greetings from Austria ;)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far the universe is winning...
mhe

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:49 am

Mhe,

Sorry for late reply. No problems with exporting either the 551 or 552
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Postby mhe » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:06 am

Thanks, that's great news! Since they charge you over 600 Euros for the desired model... :?
I hereby declare opticshq.com my aiming device supplier of choice :D ;)
mhe

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:34 am

We should also have a 3x magnifier compatible with EoTech shortly. Awesome device, but it is somewhat costly (it will run in the $500+ with the mount)
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:03 am

Don't need a magnifier at the moment. All I want is those two eotechs (in one or two months, depending on financial situation), nothing else, mount is not required as far as I know, since they have a built-in weaver-style mount for those fancy rails. :)

But long term plans include combining the holosight with a D-300 mounted behind it, I'm currently in the process of figuring out what is legal here in my country. Don't want to spend the big bucks on things which could get me into troubles you know ;)

Postby mhe » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:04 am

Damnit, I've just hit that reply button before logging myself in again... :roll:
mhe

scope laws

Postby rem700pss » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:39 pm

MHE -

I noticed your statement about laws in your country that scopes are legal so long as the lines don't intersect... I'm trying to understand the meaning of this piece of law. Granted, the USA has some very strange laws and they very in all 50 states, but I don't understand the significance of the lines crossing (touching). I've used alot of fine optics and reticles, and for daylight use I personally prefer bullet drop compensators that allow you to judge distance with line markers for shoulder width to call the length. Are these illegal in your country?

Rem
rem700pss

Postby mhe » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:20 am

Yes, I've said that. Sorry, I was mistaken. But I've recently talked to a friend of mine who is an army instructor and he pointed out to me, that the reticle cross ban is an urban legend. Popular belief is, that these kind of reticles are banned due to the geneva convention. All of this is untrue. I'll explain why.

As a matter of fact - there is nothing in these papers which even mentions any kind of weapon sight. The urban legend of this ban also states, that its purpose is to reduce accuracy of some rifles because of their high velocity bullets. There is also this urban legend of tissue shock which leads to certain death even from a grazing shot - the only criteria which must be met is that the bullets velocity has to be higher than the speed of sound. The story says, that the reduced accuracy caused by having an non-crossing reticle should prevent sharpshooters from hitting human targets with graze shots on purpose.

Well, after my friend pointed out to me, that all of this is bull, it started to make sense.
If weapons with supersonic bullet speeds would fall under a blanket ban, there could be no thing as a sniper rifle. Take any large caliber sniper rifle, you will hardly be able to find one with a muzzle velocity lower than 2 times the speed of sound. So the legend of the tissue shock simply cannot be true, therefore the other urban legend of the crossed reticle ban is obsolete anyway.
How do these urban legends come up? Well. There are also some army instructors which don't know as much as they think they do. And they pass their false information on to thousands of young soldiers. Here in Austria as a male, by the time you become 18 years old, you have either to take 8 months in the army or one year as a civil cervant, the latter being assigned to a very wide range of tasks and the soldiers learning basic firearm handling and soldiering skills. Not obeying these rules will be severely punished.
For example - before start to serve in either way, there is a medical inspection of all the candidates, determining who is fit for which job. All these tests take about two days.
If you don't show up on the first day when you have been called in to these tests, you'll have to pay about 2700 dollars. The second day you'll be fetched from home by some soldiers. Resistance is likely to lead to prison sentences.

All of this sounds very harsh, but it's not as bad as it seems. The tests are just basic health and fitness tests, blood and drug tests and so on. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me. You'll also get tested for aids and other diseases without having to pay for it either. Serving in the army also doesn't seem that bad at all. I haven't done it myself, but according to many people I know, only the first two months are hard because of really dense training. The following half year is just simple to get over with.

Sorry for losing myself in something offtopic for a moment ;)

Bullet drop compensator sights are no problem at all. I highly doubt that our customs officers are able do spot a difference between a replika scope and one made for real weapons. I now own several replika scopes, some of them with crossed reticles, some even illuminated in more than one color. No problems at all. Also dot sights are

Don't get me wrong, I consider myself an expert on the airsoft sector, but I'm by no means an expert when it comes to real weapons.

And yes, the US of A have some very strange laws (hell, there are even best-of-websites with the funniest of them ;)), but in Austria, Lawmakers seem to be very strange people sometimes.
Here we have a law called "Kriegsmaterialgesetz" (Kriegsmaterial is hard to explain in one word, but by definition it means anything which is purpose-built for engaging in a war).
This law only states what rules have to be abided with any of the items covered by it. Strangely enough, such laws in my country don't state which items now effectively are affected by these rules. It seems This is done on purpose in the interests of judges allowing them a little freedom in their decisions.

You'd never believe how much time it has taken me to figure out whether it's legal to import Gen2 NVDs here. But lucky me - I am allowed to and looking forward to it. Counting the days... ;)
mhe

Return to General Discussion