Riflescope+Laser= Nightvision??

Discussion for SureFire, HDS, and NightOps Flash Lights.

Moderator: Michael

Riflescope+Laser= Nightvision??

Postby Shooter72 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:59 am

As you can see Im thinking about using a laser device on my Zeiss rifle scope. My goal is to hunt varmints at night on ranges up to 200yds.

Question is if this method (laser+rifle scope) is practical? Have you guys tried that out, and what combo do you use?

What about the cold - will all these laser units work in subzero temperatures?

Thanks
Shooter72

Re: Riflescope+Laser= Nightvision??

Postby marc_pril » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:35 am

What exactly do you mean? Using a Riflescope as a projector for an IR laser??

Regards,

Marc
marc_pril

Postby Shooter72 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:52 am

No no, Its just about using a laser (not IR) to make me see with my regular riflescope.....

I saw this ad about BSA ND3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZWjPl2RfU4

Obivously its an ad and everything looks great. However, I only take the word from the regular Joe, regular guys like us.
I googled forums on the ND3 and apparently this laser does not work in subzero (32F and below) conditions!! Now that is on big flaw for a hunting gear - and Im not about to spend my 250$ on something that does not work under real outdoor conditions.

So the question is - has anybody here been able to make this combo (riflescope/laser) work for varmint hunting, in subzero temps......in the dark.....
Shooter72

Postby Dino1130 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:24 am

Laser Genetics makes a sub zero model of the same laser illuminator.

http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd3x40-sub ... nator.aspx

That said I think it amounts to having a green flashlight mounted on your weapon. I don't consider it night vision at all. The light despite their claims will still spook critters like a white light. Maybe not to the same degree but the bunny hunters say that it may work once or twice but after that they get spooked by it just like any other light.

For plinking rats and the like why not. But, it is not night vision by any stretch. Might as well just get a decent Gen 1 rifle scope with a good IR illuminator. I think you will have better success. Decent and Gen 1 do not go hand in hand but some of the Yukon ones I hear are not horrible. For close range varmint control it should suffice. Just don't expect wonderful quality. :D
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby efahrenholz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Since when do lasers not work cold? My understanding is they need to stay cold or the diode melts.
efahrenholz

Postby Dino1130 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:39 pm

efahrenholz wrote:Since when do lasers not work cold? My understanding is they need to stay cold or the diode melts.

The problem is mostly with green lasers. My understanding is they are very voltage sensitive. When the batteries get cold and lose some voltage their performance drops off severely. I think it is more of a voltage issue than the laser itself. I have known people to swap out cold batteries with warm ones and the laser comes right back to life.

This is all just from reading and I have no research of my own to back any of these claims.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby Shooter72 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:46 am

I know its not night vision....and I already have illuminated recticle. Just wondering if a lazer is good enough to light up a target at say 200yds?
Shooter72

Postby marc_pril » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:57 am

I've used halogen lamps with red filter to about 80 yards. So I think it will probably work! But the only way to know for shure is to try it!

Cheers,

Marc
marc_pril

Postby chadd7881 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:06 pm

The nd3 laser is a good laser, I have access to one it is extremely bright. But before you buy I would check local and state game laws. In North Carolina it is unlawful to shine an artificial light at dark on any wildlife.
chadd7881

Postby efahrenholz » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:22 pm

chadd7881 wrote:The nd3 laser is a good laser, I have access to one it is extremely bright. But before you buy I would check local and state game laws. In North Carolina it is unlawful to shine an artificial light at dark on any wildlife.

I'm going to have to double check the laws, but I recall north Carolina being a bit more relaxed about hunting at night.
I do seem to remember a clause stating no artificial lights to aid in hunting. This is the technical way of forbidding lamping but I don't believe there was a law about passive night vision.
efahrenholz

Return to Flashlights