surefire m600 use with nod's

Discussion for SureFire, HDS, and NightOps Flash Lights.

Moderator: Michael

surefire m600 use with nod's

Postby crye-baby » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:25 pm

hi guy's, Im getting a surefire m600 with the IR filter soon and wanted to ask a couple questions about its use with an pvs 14. my current setup is a itt night enforcer. it has a great pinical tube ,adjustable gain with a couple small blems in the #2 to #3 zone. thats beside the point here thoe other than to let you know what Im working with. my question's are can this light with the IR filter attached harm my 14's. if say the surefire with Ir filter were turned directly toward the monocular (both being in the on position). from what I now understand Im sure It will cause harm, but just want to hear what you guy's think. you've been a great help to me before. also, if the light and pvs 14 were mounted together would thet cause harm because the monocular was so near a bright light source for long periods of time. Thanks for any help you guys can offer. Id rather be safe than sorry.
Former PEQ-15 User - ya Win some... & ya Lose some...........
crye-baby

Re: surefire m600 use with nod's

Postby 45K40 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Crye-baby,

The harm that could be done to the -14 is a direct reflection (glass, mirror, etc.) or direct illumination from IR or incandescent light. Think of IR as invisible white light, except you can't squint or close your eyes when you see it. Neither can your image intensifier.
Make sure your weapon-mounted flashlight does not illuminate your muzzle or front sight. Test this with white light and no NV. If no side spill on your weapon, you are good to go. Side spill will cause blooming or might burn one side of the tube,

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Postby crye-baby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Owe you one for this info Sir. glad I put the setup on hold, could have done some real damage. I will go on per your instructions. Thanks 45K40
crye-baby

Postby crye-baby » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:13 am

ok checked it out with the IR filter removed & I do get some light backsplash off the peel washer and flash supressor. looks to be a small ammount but a small ammount of light is alot with NOD's turned on. not sure how to proceed from here. the surefire M600 scout light sit's very low plus Im useing a ggg rail that attaches directly to the lower handguard's cooling vents. if the barrel was a couple inches shorter I don't think I would have this problem. but I dont want to go to the trouble of getting a SBR permit or even think about cutting on the longarm. looks like Im stuck, but at least I came here first and saved my 14's from possable damage :D
crye-baby

Return to Flashlights