LumaForce LED IR flashlight

Discussion for SureFire, HDS, and NightOps Flash Lights.

Moderator: Michael

LumaForce LED IR flashlight

Postby sandman » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi I purchased one of these at a gun show for $40. The web-site states that it is @ 850 nM but no listing of output power. (It takes 2 CR123 batteries)
I can easily see the 3 LEDs glowing red when looking at it straight on.
I was testing it out in my closet last night under total darkness. Whenever I turned the IR flashlight on, it seems to make my monocular (mini with ITT hand-select Pinnacle tube) flicker and turn dim.
Is this because the light is putting out too much IR light for this small confined space?
Does anyone know what the output of this LED IR flashlight is?
How doe it compare to other IR flashlights?
Can I damage my eyes if I stare into the IR beam while turned on?
Thank you for your responses

http://www.lumaforce.com/luinldrbufor.html
sandman

Re: LumaForce LED IR flashlight

Postby Dino1130 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Yes, It is to bright in a confined space like a closet. Your scope is protecting itself from the bright light. Use it outdoors and point it away from you and the scope. Don't know much about the light you are using but high intensity lights be it IR or not are not good for night vision. Use it as a aid to light up dark shadows. In a closet is not good. The Mini has a built in IR led for close up and confined spaces.

While IR LED illuminators are not considered dangerous use common sense here. Never stare at bright lights. Just not a good idea. IR is just light in a wavelength we can' see. It can be every bit as bright as other lights. Use the light with care and good judgment.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby b_rogers » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:58 pm

That's a 3w ir bulb like the ones for surefire 6p lights. Very bright up close!

Most folks say they are good for about a 30m flood of light. With a simple lens it can throw pretty far.

If you are on a budget and want something not as powerful, try the 12 led IR light from dealextreme dot com. $5 bucks I think?

Brent
http://www.downtowndogz.com
b_rogers

Postby sandman » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:18 pm

I was worried that maybe it was too much light for my mini and that was why it was acting funny.
Thank you for the response. I will never use it indoors again!
Can't wait to try it outdoors.
sandman

Return to Flashlights