IR Laser Module OEM

Discussion for SureFire, HDS, and NightOps Flash Lights.

Moderator: Michael

IR Laser Module OEM

Postby tomtom86 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:29 am

Hi all,

Does anybody have an idea how I can make a handheld laser-module out of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/808nm-150mW-laser-O ... 5885409453

Do I only need a power supply, and if so, which one? Or do I also need a driver for the Laser-Diode?

Thanks a lot
Thomas
tomtom86

Postby Dino1130 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:05 pm

That is just the IR laser diode and could be used to convert a visible laser unit over to IR. I don't know what unit that diode will fit. I am far from a laser expert. A guy on here named Stan has a good bit of laser knowledge, hopefully he will see this and help you. You can also go to www.AR15.com and find the lights and laser section under the AR15 tab. Those guys have tons of knowledge about lasers and conversions. That is a 150mw diode which is pretty powerful. Get lots of info before you mess with it. That has plenty of power to blind someone and you don't want to fry it and be out your money.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby b_rogers » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:35 pm

are you asking if that will work as a ir flashlight or as a pointer?

the focus probably wont give u a large enough spread for a "flashlight" as is, its meant to make the beam smaller and more focused.

also thats a pretty strong unit at 150mw. ok for the flashlight concept but too much for a targeting setup. most aiming lasers are 5-10mw.

all thats needed is 3.2 volts. and it will lase...data sheets too blurry to make out all the details.

there are beam expanders and collimators out there($) for ir lasers, but they generally arent a universal fit.

i was told by an engineer in the laser industry that the ir beam will degrade a normal lens over time, but u could get away with it with gentle use.

im sure someone else who knows way more than me will come along and help.
b_rogers

Return to Flashlights