Nighthawk Moonlight Russian NV Binoculars

Discuss night vision equipment and technology

Moderator: Michael

Nighthawk Moonlight Russian NV Binoculars

Postby Gen1madman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:55 pm

I find little on this forum about the Russinan night vision Binoculars sold by Moonlight, among others.
I know this was some time ago, but I'd love to see a review of this NV's.
Anyone?
Thanks
Madman
Gen1madman

Re: Nighthawk Moonlight Russian NV Binoculars

Postby Gen1madman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:20 pm

How sad....most folks believe it or no,t still buy and deal with Gen 1.
This forum seems to be elitist. If it ain't Gen 2,3, 4(?) it's not worth talking about.
Lot's of regular people are interested in this, and need a forum to discuss night vision that does not include:
"Well, I'm changing out a gen one image intensifier for a gen two and here are the tough things I had to do".
Most regular fans also want a good NV that does not cost 1200.00. What? Then what the hell are you doing on this
group?
We deal in esoteric things here. It makes us feel special. Conversions, high end stuff. You want a good Gen 1? There is no such thing.
If you want one of those, we will ridicule it, Gt a really good Call of Duty NVG set. All interested folks are not dumbasses that just want a toy. My two cents.
Like it or not
Gen1Madman
Gen1madman

Postby Tracer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:13 pm

I would like to know more about gen-1 scopes, but it seems most of them use obsolete and/or out of production image tubes? I think gen-1 is like 1980s computers, they are yesterdays technology.

Is there still decent gen-1 scopes being made? I have played with a Bushnell monocular, I find it okay for doing quick peaks outside and seeing into the dark shadowed areas the crackheads like to stay in (assuming the IR reflection from the glass doesn't blind the view). But that fish-eye view is pretty crappy for any viewing other than a few minutes in duration. I see that ATN X-sight digital night vision used on Squirrel Hunters youtube channel and think that is much better... but like you say the price jumps dramatically.

There must be gen-1 afficionados out there but they may be few and far between. It would be a fantastic resource if there was a central webpage that listed every known NV device from every country and every era, complete with pics, specs, diagrams, and manuals. But such an undertaking would be a serious endeavour. I also wonder if most of those with gen-1 equipment are casual users who are satisfied how they perform and so they don't feel the need to discuss them. Fans of the subject likely succumb to the natural progression to know more and move on to learn the newer and better NV technology.

That said, I myself enjoy reading everything NV no matter what it is. I especially enjoy articles where someone has rebuilt and resurrected old military NV equipment.
Tracer

Postby Gen1madman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Anyone who has owned a Gen 1 Nighthawk Binocular has no doubt wondered about the on/off switch assembly
that these units have. An on/off switch is pretty simple......but.......these have a small metal slab extension with a hole in the center that is activated when the sliding switch is pushed to the "on" position, thus forcing the pin down to into the center of the hole with contact thus caused by the edge of the pin touching the whole.....maybe. Or a Russian elf lives in the on off
switch and says a magic word to turn the unit on. On a faulty switch (such as corroded from batteries left in or similar) simply cleaning off the corrosion often does no good. With one that is bent (the slab that comes out to be pierced with the switch pin) and straightened, often no dice as well. Both intensification tubes usually read good and even inermittently the
unit comes on briefly. My question is.....what kind of switch is this what is it called. Are others available?
Since this is Gen 1 stuff I'm not optimistic about an answer, but.....
Gen1madman
Thanks for any info.
Gen1madman

Postby Tracer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:04 am

If I understand correctly what you are describing it sounds like either that little hole has become wider and/or the contact pin has been reduced in width preventing good contact. A strange design. Is it possible to retrofit it with something normal?
Tracer

Return to General Night Vision Discussion