PVS-7 Help

Discuss night vision equipment and technology

Moderator: Michael

PVS-7 Help

Postby blubiker78 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:26 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum it looks like a great site.
I recently aquired a PVS-7 which the previous owner said worked until one of the wires broke off the power switch, unfortunately he tried to fix it and never got it working.

2 questions

Does this unit need to be clipped into the headgear to turn on? ( I read in the manual that it will shut off if removed from the headgear)

Can anyone help me out with with where the 3 or 4 wires connect to the power switch?

thanks
blubiker78

Re: PVS-7 Help

Postby 45K40 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:23 am

blubiker,

The goggs will work as stand-alone without headmounts.

If the PVS-7 is not inserted into the Rhino arm, and the PVS-7 is powered up, it will remain on until:
1) Inserted into the Rhino arm in the mainly horizontal orientation.
2) Inserted into the Rhino arm in the mainly vertical orientation, and subsequently flipped to the mainly horizontal orientation.

If the PVS-7 is powered up separately from the Rhino arm, it will remain on until:
1) Being connected to the Rhino arm combination in the mainly horizontal orientation.
2) Being connected to the Rhino arm combination in the mainly vertical orientation, and subsequently being flipped down to the mainly horizontal orientation.
In any case, whenever the auto-shut off feature is activated, the PVS-7 must be reset by rotating the power switch CCW and then CW.

A few questions too:
1. Do the wires disconnected look like regular small gauge colored type or is it the flat orange/brown plastic flex ribbon type?

2. Are there any wires still remaining attached on the switch terminals?

The PVS-7 wired body is replaced as an assy if switch, LEDs, or wiring is faulty; no repairs are authorized. PVS-5 body is repairable. However,
I have used the Mode switch from PVS-5 goggs to replace a faulty one on PVS-7B. Your soldering skills are your limitations here.
More on this after answers to Q1 and Q2.
Below is a link to is a scheme for PVS-5 on Pg 4-14. Remember the switch works the same, the colors of wires to numbered terminals may not be the same.
www.operationeastwind.com/nato/training ... 38-23P.pdf

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Postby blubiker78 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply

Answer to your questions

1. Its not the ribbon cable, separate wires

2. There are 3 wires attached to the power switch, but they must not be right Red wire from battery, Yellow from LED indicator in eyepiece & Green wire going to front sensor. I'm thinking that it must be missing a power wire to power the rest of the goggles.

My soldering skills are decent.
If it's not against forum rules, a picture of inside the wired unit would be awesome.

I looked at the diagram for the power switch from the PVS 5, mine doesn't have the same red wire loop between the switch terminals...but that might be part of the problem. The previous owner kinda hacked it up :-/

thanks
blubiker78

Postby 45K40 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:28 pm

blubiker,

"There are 3 wires attached to the power switch, but they must not be right Red wire from battery, Yellow from LED indicator in eyepiece, & Green wire going to front sensor. I'm thinking that it must be missing a power wire to power the rest of the goggles."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Without tearing mine open to see the colors/rerminals, the best pic I could find is attached. I figure (based on other fuzzy views) that there should be 2 red wires on term #3. Might be 2 wires on term #6 or maybe #7, too (possibly yellow or white pair). The 2 large center terms are Battery positive (2.75vdc). There is no scheme in the book since the wired body is not repairable (replace only).

Some more questions:
1. Are there extra wires inside the body and how many/color?

2. Are any of the terminals broken off of the switch body or is it just the wire(s)?

3. If just the wires, are there traces of solder on the switch terms and which ones?

45K40
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"See all evil."
45K40

Postby blubiker78 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:13 pm

I got it working...sorta

thanks to this forum I was able to get it going.

The picture is a little different, my NVG had a second circuit board.

I found that the power wire was missing from the switch to the circuit board.

I wasn't able to get the IR working though, but that's minor. (I could get the IR Indicator to light but no IR illumination.)

Thanks again to all that took the time to help out.
blubiker78

Postby 45K40 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:56 am

blubiker78,

Good job! As far as the IR LED:
1. + or - wire could be possibly wired to the wrong term on switch?
2. Wires for LED are reversed in polarity?
3. LED wires received too much voltageput too
Test LED with multimeter on Rx1 setting; reverse leads and compare resistance. If very high res in one direction and low in the other, should be good to go. If the diode has no continuity in either direction, the diode is open; if the diode has continuity in both directions, then the diode is shorted. Either way is bad. is ~1.5vdc, The IR LED should light-up when forward voltage of 1.5vdc is applied to correct terms. If no light-up, reverse the polarity. IR LED shows up on your phone's camera as a little purple-ish dot
If the diode is the culprit, the MILSEC replacement is expensive (~$5-40 depending on source). You might consider buying a used facemask for PVS-5 series and salvage from that. LED info: SM-C-657443, Indicator, Light, NSN 6210-01-011-2116 The civilian IR LEDs are lower wavelength and emit a slight red/orange glow.
Personally, I hardly ever use the goggs IR; I depend on helmet lights or hand-held IR source,

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Return to General Night Vision Discussion