Dim Gen 3 tube

Discuss night vision equipment and technology

Moderator: Michael

Dim Gen 3 tube

Postby Ark1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:18 pm

I have a Gen 3 tube that I purchased over 10 years ago and packed away in a box in a dry location that I would like to make into a monocular. I was told that the tube had little use on it.

The tube came from a PS2000 Night Watch monocular, but all I purchased was the tube. The tube was potted in a sleeve from the monocular which I removed and tried to marry it with a PVS 5 lens. It will fit in the PVS 5 tube. What I discovered was that the focal plane is set back farther on this tube than the MX-9916. This tube was used with a C mount 25MM F 1.4 lens and playing around with it I cannot get it to focus a clear image at a distance. With the PVS 5 lens focus is about 12" to 3' after that it get's blurry and it is not possible to get the lens close enough to the tube input window to obtain a clear image.

I read somewhere and I cannot find it now that it said if you have a tube in storage for a long time to connect it to a battery for 24 hours to condition it. Is this true? Could it be the reason that the tube is dim? I have not messed with the pot's on the tube, but removed the back button battery board to extend the wires on the tube for my project. I also installed a front plastic cover and used potting compound to bed it. ( Dow 3140) I have also been reading about gain adjustment of the right hand pot but have not tried this yet. I wanted an opinion of how I should proceed from others more knowledgeable than myself.

All comments welcome. Pictures of the tube attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ark1

Return to General Night Vision Discussion