Head mount/goggle vs weapon mount

Discuss night vision equipment and technology

Moderator: Michael

Head mount/goggle vs weapon mount

Postby bricot » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:10 am

Is there a setup that will perform both functions (head/goggle/helmet mount and weapons mountable) ?

Can you use a head/helmet mount with reflex sights/holo sights?

I am trying to figure out if there is a unit that would satisfy the needs of home security (something goes bump in the night and you need to be able to use open sights on a pistol) and also be able to use a rifle (could use open sights, what about holosights) for wildlife that gets to aggressive. I assume that anything head/helmet mounted wouldn't work well with scopes?

Any insight would be appreciated!
bricot

Re: Head mount/goggle vs weapon mount

Postby 45K40 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 am

bricot,

The answer is yes and no. Yes, you can use headmounted with optical sights, but no, it is not ergonomic. You can't get a decent cheek weld with headmounted NVGs. The best way I could do it is place the butt of the carbine on my chest with stock collapsed. You also take a great chance of the NVG objective crashing into optical sights during target acquisition or firing. Using a weapon-mounted laser is the only practical way to transition from weapon to weapon. Once you've attached the NVG to the weapon, now you have no easy way to put the weapon away (as in it is inoperative now, but you need to remove the NVG; or you are transitioning from carbine to pistol). Trying to navigate with a weapon-mounted NVD up/down stairs gets scary and tiring real quick. A weapon-mounted NVD makes you always hold the weapon high which is disconcerting if clearing a room with buddies.
Static firing positions/surveillance are where weapon-mounted NVDs shine. US Forces use weapon-mounted lasers such as AN/PEQ-2, AN/PAQ-4, AN/PEQ-15 in IR mode to do business.

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Postby bricot » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:41 am

I was afraid that you really need 2 units. Headmount/goggles - clear a house/pistol perhaps shotgun. I have a hand-held gen2+ monocular but trying to hold that and wield a weapon really isn't functional. For coyotes, etc some sort of weapon mounted.

Any threads or advice on thermal vs gen 3 or higher IR? Thermal would seem to make up for some of the IR shortcomings, fog-light-etc, but are their downfalls of thermal? (aside from price!). I can start a new thread on that topic if appropriate.

Thanks!!!
bricot

Postby 45K40 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:06 am

bricot,

One of the downfalls of thermal is target ID. Thermal displays with low-end resolution (320x240) or low frame rates (9 Hz or less) will lack detail from afar. Good for detecting living things, just hard to tell if its a deer, cow, hog, or dog. 1x lens won't show much at distance; more powerful lenses have weight. Thermal anything uses more power than image intensified devices (less run-time)A lot of hog-hunters use hand-held thermal imagers for detecting the presence of live-targets, then transition to weapon-mounted NVD for the target ID and kill. Bipod or rifle-rest highly recommended, along with a padded shooting mat.

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Postby bricot » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:42 am

Well.... sounds like I should probably stick with IR - can't do 2 devices at this point. What is considered to be better goggles (PVS-7s, ??) Also from reading some posts its important to find a reputable dealer! Do we have a list of a few around here?
bricot

Postby 45K40 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:57 am

bricot,

Read more in this forum, much to be learned here. PVS-7 vs PVS-14= size vs weight vs cost vs variable gain vs bino or mono vision vs wpn or head mounted, etc.
You have to research a lot more to decide what you want. Listen to feedback from other customers. Don't buy low-budget and regret it later.
These guys did me right: summitnightvision.com

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Postby bricot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:57 am

Ya, wow is the experience and recommendations all over the board. Interesting mount for the PVS-14 from the 2015 shot show - Dual mount, so if at some point you wanted the binocular view you could add a second 14. Although for the price of 2 PVS-14's, I wonder if you would be better off with another unit. Does give you the ability to quick detach and attach to a day sight, so in theory you get have a device that covered both functions (head mount/weapson mount).

I thought I saw a video to that this could be used with a day scope (mounted to the back) - Anyone have any experience with this type setup - how well it works?, see crosshairs easily? If its mounted on the back of the scope would an illuminated recticle work and not hurt the NVS?
bricot

Return to General Night Vision Discussion